The Course aims to enhance the language proficiency of students at two levels; reading and writing. It also aims at enhancing their ability to analyse literary texts of known creative writers in the language and apply them in different fields. The course has special focus on contemporary issues dealt by the creative writers in different forms of literature keeping in mind the grand challenges facing the nation.
The grand challenges of the nation in the present era
- Economic Development, Rural and Urban Linkages
- Energy and water
- Urbanization, Infrastructure, Transport and Sanitation
- Environment and public health
- Food Security and agriculture
- Education and Literacy
- Moral, Ethics, Society and Justice
Apart from the above-mentioned issuees, focus will also be on the challenges in the survival of the vernacular languages, literature and the cultural diversity of India with reference to Manipuri.
It is expected that after the completion of the course the students will be able to:
- Use their language in different situations and develop proficiency in reading and writing
- Critically examine the issues highlighted in the texts and express their ideas and observations
- Initiate discussions on the issues highlighted in the texts and similar social issues identified by them
- Enhance their reading skills and style of writing
- Evaluate and appreciate unknown texts building their creative expression and presentation
- Collect information on their languages, literature and culture and present them before others
Every semester, teaching will be spread over 16 weeks including two weeks for review.
Organization of Teaching
There are six units in the course spread over 14 weeks. There would be 56 teaching periods and 14 periods for students presentation in a semester and the total number of the period will be 70 (56+14). The details of the Units/themes and their distribution of periods are given below. In addition, two weeks for fieldwork/ project work/trip related activity as required by the course curriculum will be given.
THEME OR SUB THEMES OF STUDY
|NATURE AND ENVIRONMENT – Unit 1||10 periods|
|REGIONAL LANGUAGE AND NATIONAL INTEGRATION – Unit 2||10 periods|
|LITERACY AND WOMEN EDUCATION – Unit 3||10 periods|
|RURAL LIFE AND URBANIZATION – Unit 4||10 periods|
|NATURAL RESOURCES AND INDUSTRIALIZATION – Unit 5||08 periods|
|EQUALITY AND SOCIAL JUSTICE – Unit 6||08 periods|
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
TEXTS – POETRY
1. Chingi Leirang Amada Kh.Choaba Singh
2. Loktak Mapanda _ Kh. Choaba Singh
3. Chandranadi _ Dr. Kamal Singh
4. Bishwa Prem _ Dr.Kamal Singh
5. Khangudre Ema Manipur Nungshi Shaktam A.Minaketan Singh
6. Mamang Leikaida Thambal Satle L.Samarendra Singh
7. Mapan Naidabasida Ei N.Biren Singh
SHORT STORY TEXTS (Selected Pieces)
1. Nungairakta Chandramukhi M.K. Binodini
2. Pistol Amasung kundalei – Prof. E. Dinamani Singh
3. Elisha Amagi Mahao – Prof.N.Kunjamohan Singh
1. Meitei Mayekta Iramba Sahityagi Mathel Khara – Pt. N.Khelchandra Singh
2. Anouba Chahi – R.K. Sanahal Singh
3. Manipuri Lok Sahitya – O. Bhogeswar Singh
4. Wakhal Gi Echel – Kh.Choaba Singh
1. Fidam Wareng Ahanba – Pt.Kh. Chandrasekhar Singh,1984
Note: These texts and other reading materials will be compiled and made available to the students.
1. Monographs of important authors in Manipuri
2. History of Development of Manipuri Films, Documentary Films On Important authors and Exotic Places of Manipur
3. Literary Extracts from Web Materials
4. Manipuri Newspapers, Literary Journals
The assessment of the students performance will be through:
(i) Continuous evaluation of Project work (35 marks)
(ii) End Semester written examination (40 marks)
The students are expected to submit three project assignments which will provide scope to the student to express their liking towards their language, literature and culture. A list of topics will be made available to them at the beginning of the course, which may be extended to rewriting, adaptation, retelling and change of the narrative format. Evaluation of their performance in project work will be based on their knowledge, collection of information and style of presentation and narration.
TOPICS IDENTIFIED FOR PROJECT WORKS
1. Development of Manipuri language, script, literature.
2. Practical use of language: Day-to-day conversation, in office, public speech etc.
3. Festivals of Manipur.
4. Mapping of Manipuri culture (To be based on a particular event relating to culture).
5. Manipuri language in media, films and the cyber world.
6. Any performing traditional arts of Manipur (Dance, Drama, Music, Traditional games etc.)
7. Contemporary social issues and challenges.
8. Manipuri language in the 21st century.
9. Art of retelling, rewriting of a narrative.
10. Critical evaluation of a text, in any form of Manipuri literature.
11. Eco-tourism in Manipur.
12. Tribes of Manipur, tribal lives and social moorings in Manipuri Literature and their folk festivals.
13. Classical Dances of Manipur.
14. Laiharaoba Festival of Manipur.
REFERENCE TEXTS FOR PROJECT WORKS
1. History of Manipuri Literature Kalachand Shastri
2. History of Manipuri Literature Prof.Ch.Manihar Singh
3. Manipuri language, Literature and Culture ? Sahitya Parishad Publication, Imphal
4. Enatki Harao Khummei Kh.Chandrasekhar Singh
5. Fidam Wareng Ahanba – Kk. Chandrasekhar Singh
6. Manipuri Sahtya gi Wareng Khara Dr.N.Tombi Singh
7. Manipuri Sahitya da Nupi gi Khonjel Edited by Memchoubi Devi
8. Manipuri Dance – State Kala Academy Publication,Imphal,Manipur
9. Saknairabi Scientist Singgi Wari Prof. N.Nimai Singh
Centre For Scientific Culture, Imphal Publication 22nd Edition, June 2011
Leave a Reply