B.Tech. (CSE & ECE)
IIIT Delhi aims to encourage research and innovation in Information Technology (IT) and allied areas. The objective of the BTech program in Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) is to prepare students to undertake careers involving innovation and problem solving using computational techniques and technologies, or to undertake advanced studies for research careers or to take up Entrepreneurship.
With this approach, the BTech (CSE) program can be divided broadly in two halves. The first half focuses on building the foundations, and is highly structured. The second part is for developing the skills and knowledge of the students in various topics computing and application domains. This part also provides limited specializations, and different students may follow different paths and take different set of courses in it.
- Understanding of theoretical foundations and limits of computing
- Understanding of computing at different levels of abstraction including circuits and computer architecture, operating systems, algorithms, and applications.
- Ability to adapt established models, techniques, algorithms, data structures, etc. for efficiently solving new problems
- Ability to design, implement, and evaluate computer based system or application to meet the desired needs using modern tools and methodologies
- Ability to function effectively in teams to accomplish a common goal
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of audience
- Ability to self learn and engage in life-long learning2
- Understanding and ability to use advanced techniques and tools in different areas of computing
- Ability to undertake small research tasks and projects
- Ability to take an idea and develop into a business plan for an entrepreneurial venture (if desired)
- An understanding of the impact of solutions in an economic, societal, and environment context.
As Computer Science (CS) focuses on the science of computing, to give due importance to applied aspects of computing, it is desirable to have a CS-based education program, which also includes application aspects in the curriculum. IIIT-Delhi aims to have such a curriculum for its Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) program, which is CS-based, and which will also develop in students the engineering skills for problem solving using computing sciences.
Some of the salient points of this program are:
- As it is an IT focused program, it inverts the pyramid and start with computing oriented courses first, and the general and sciences courses later. Besides being better suited for an IT program, it also enables the possibility of students seeing newer applications and possibilities of relating IT with these subjects.
- Has a highly structured core program (mostly first two years) that focuses on computing fundamentals as well as communication skills.
- After the core program, there is flexibility on the courses the students can choose for developing the skills and knowledge in various topics computing and application domains. The program allows limited specialization in IT streams or non-IT domains.
- Humanities and social sciences is an integral part of the curriculum.
- Allows motivated students to graduate with a BTech (Honors) by doing extra units.
- Has a heavy emphasis on practice with many courses having labs and programming assignments as integral part of the course work.
- Builds research skills through courses like independent study, independent projects and “undergraduate research”.
The main objectives of the BTech(ECE) program are to produce students who are well prepared for Indian industry with necessary core competency to succeed long-term in engineering/entrepreneurship careers (post B.Tech), and who are well prepared to undertake PG studies and research careers.
As a discipline, ECE focuses on the design of underlying hardware systems. Our curriculum is directed to applications in major areas such as telecommunications, energy and electronics sectors, while encouraging development of necessary skills for integration of hardware and software components. We believe that many creative opportunities exist at the boundaries of traditional CSE and ECE, and have accordingly planned for cross-training of students across disciplinary boundaries. The curriculum for ECE therefore has many courses in common with the CSE program initially. Thereafter, the program in Yrs. 3 & 4 is structured to allow customization by individual students based on their own personal interests.
Program Structure in 3rd/4th Years:
- Most courses in Sem 5-8 are electives (an elective course is one which is not compulsory, and a student may have choices from which to select the courses he/she wants to do.)
- Currently we offer ellective courses in 4 stream; Circuits and VLSI, Cummunication Engineering, Signal & image Processing and Control & embedded systems. Streams allow a student to focus on some areas of ECE. It hepls a student to gain a deeper knowledge and skills in the choosing areas.
- A student can complete one stream by doing at least 3 courses in that particular stream. A student will be strongly encouraged to ensure that at least one stream is completed, though is not required to do so.
- Besides electives and streams for specialized areas, streams and electives from domain areas (e.g. health, life sciences, finance, economics, E-Governance, sciences, etc.) may also be offered. A student may also be able to take CSE courses.
- There will also be a set of Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS) courses offered.
M.Tech. (CSE, ECE, and CB)
IIIT-Delhi subscribes to the view that a Masters degree is primarily industry-focused, though it can be used as a stepping stone for research as well. The decision whether the degree is to be pursued for skill and knowledge up-gradation or also for building research skills should rest with the student. The Institute also believes that a student should be given an option of pursuing M.Tech without assistantship so he/she can focus full time on the program, and possibly finish the program sooner, as compared to a student who is on Assistantship and so has to do part-time work in lieu of the assistantship.
The Institute feels that to address the needs of the industry, which today requires more specialized manpower as each field is getting more complex, it is desirable to provide specializations within CSE and ECE in the M.Tech program. For this, the Institute permits a student to do an “M.Tech” or “M.Tech with specialization“. MTech in Computational Biology is a new program being launched with a strong focus on research and emerging area of computation in biology.
The M.Tech program is credit-based, i.e., the students have to take courses worth certain credit. Further details of each of the MTech programs are described in the pages of the respective programs.
The MTech programs will start from July 1, with some refreshers courses being done during July to improve the preparation of the incoming students for the main MTech program that starts from the semester starting Aug.
Fees and Assistantship
The fee for the entire M.Tech program is Rs 2.5 Lac (i.e. Rs 1.25 Lac per year if M.Tech is done over a 2-year period). For MTech in Computational Biology, students getting admitted this year will get a 50% waiver in tuition fee (i.e. the program fee will be Rs 1.25Lac).
Those who are GATE qualified can get GATE scholarships (institute facilitates in this.)
Ph.D. in CSE & ECE
The PhD program at IIIT-Delhi is focused towards research like any other PhD program – limited coursework to enhance the breadth and depth of a student, followed by focused research. Some of the key features of this program are-
- Being a focused program, it allows a motivated and hard-working student to finish in as early as 4 years, subject to fulfilling the degree requirements.
- Following the best practices in several universities around the world, fresh BTech graduates are encouraged to apply. Neither a master’s degree nor GATE is mandatory for the application process.
- The institute provides attractive compensation the stipend in the first year is Rs.27,000 per month; 2nd to 4th year it can be upto Rs.30,000 per month.
- The institute provides support to present papers in national and international conferences.