IIT Bombay has made concerted efforts to align its R&D focus with the national goal of achieving technological self-reliance. Students and faculty conduct research projects in thrust areas of science and engineering. Its preeminent position at the cutting-edge of research is reflected in its impressive list of research projects, which cater to both our national needs and global developments.
Education and research are the twin pillars of IITB and the ambience is one in which new ideas and creativity can flourish. A key goal of the Institute is to provide a creative atmosphere in which higher studies and research thrive amongst the students and the faculty. IIT Bombay’s commitment to merging education with the creation of knowledge provides a fertile ground for productive research that has led to a range of scientific and technological achievements.
We feel that the main ingredient for successful R & D is enthusiastic young minds. It is from this view point that we have introduced the IITB Research Internship Awards to engage bright external students on it challenging research projects.
About the Awards
IITB Research Internship Award is designed to be an educational and professional research experience. These awards are available for specific research projects. The details of these projects are made available to the candidates so that they can apply for projects of their interest and can prepare themselves well for a rigorous selection procedure. The number of interns will be restricted to the number of projects available. The selected interns are required to work full time for four to six months on the project and will be given a fixed stipend of Rs. 10,000/- per month. Accommodation will be provided subject to the availability. Otherwise candidates will have to arrange for their own accommodation.
Schedule for the IIT Bombay Research Internship Awards 2015-16 is given below.
|Start and Last Date for submission of Application form||Extended till October 11, 2015|
|Dates for Interview||Extended till December 08, 2015|
|Duration of Internship||Four to six months between Dec 2015 and Jun 2016|
Candidates can check the list of shortlisted candidates from here. The process of shortlisting of the candidates by the individual faculty/ Department is in progress.The updates will be communicated appropriately.
For the time being you are requested to kindly note the following for your information:
- Call letter to the shortlisted candidates will be sent by both post & email as and when finalized.
- Department wise shortlist of candidates will be dynamically updated as and when finalized by the concerned academic unit.
- Request for change of interview date will not be entertained.
- Shortlisting criteria / schedule of interview etc is already available on the Internship website. No inquiry will be entertained in this regard.
Accommodation Note : Accommodation will not be provided. Candidates will have to arrange for their own accommodation
Application process is over now…!!!
The application process consists of an online application to be submitted through official website. A link to appropriate forms is available on official website when the application process begins. Please read the description and eligibility criteria carefully before filling the application form. Candidate can also apply online from the link given below.
How to apply?
- It is mandatory to register before filling the application form.
- After clicking on the above link kindly click on the “New Applicants register here.”
- Fill in the mandatory fields to get registered.
- Login to fill the application form with your new username and password.
- Please click on the last line mentioning IITB Research Internship Awards 2014-15
Uploading your statement of purpose (500 Characters) describing your interest in research and how diversity and this opportunity would advance your goals. Applications for internship must be accompanied by a statement of purpose answering questions such as: Why is an applicant interested in a particular project? What specific background, skills, and experience does an applicant have for the project? What is the applicant’s long term career plan? What role does this project play in it? What role does an internship at IITB play in the career plan? This list is only illustrative and the applicants are encouraged to think beyond these questions while writing their statement of purpose.
- Should be in the Second year of a Masters program, or third / fourth year of a Bachelors program. Branch / discipline of study will be as per the project requirements specified by IIT Bombay Faculty (Internship Guide).
- Should be among the top 10% in all the previous years in your discipline in the College / University / Institute. A certificate from the Principal (in the prescribed format)t o this effect will have to be submitted at the time of applying.
- Should be a full-time student while applying and till the completion of the Internship. You may submit a partial project report before (e.g., in April) the completion of the Internship (e.g., in June) if the academic calendar of your College / Institute / University requires you to do so, with the prior consent of the Internship Guide.
- Should be able to work full-time for the Internship. Part-time internship is not allowed. A certificate to the effect that there are no course work requirements during the internship period has to be submitted at the time of applying.
The selection procedure consists of preliminary screening of applications, followed by test/ interviews.
Selection criteria will include consistently brilliant academic performance (relative rank in the class/University), work carried out by the student besides his regular academic work, participation/recognition in competitions such as Techfest, Olympiads, National Talent Search Exams, and performance in the interview.
Return train fare by the shortest route (IInd / Sleeper Class) will be paid to outstation candidates called for interview. You will have to submit the ticket for onward journey and photocopy of the ticket for the return journey.
The interns will have only IITB faculty as advisor.
Only one proposal from one faculty member will be considered
If a faculty member has not received any intern for his proposal, he/she may select from the pool of applicants applied for other proposal belonging to his/her department by giving fair opportunity to all the candidates. This should be informed to all the candidates before interview.
A candidate who has not been selected for any other proposal should be selected.
Accommodation will be provided subject to the availability. Otherwise candidates will have to arrange for their own accommodation.