B.TECH students :
Students are admitted to undergraduate courses through an All-India competition known as Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) conducted by all the seven IIT’s along with IT-BHU and ISM-Dhanbad, at various centres across the country in which more than 4,72,000 candidates compete for around 8,295 seats. The admissions to Institute of Technology – Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, and Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad are also done through JEE for about 850 seats. From the year 2006, JEE pattern has undergone a change,instead of two level selection procedure there will be only one level of selection wherein just three separate papers of Chemistry,Physics,Mathematics of 2 hour duration each take place. The paper would be objective type in nature designed to test the comprehension and analytical ability of the candidates.
This Institute offers 3courses(Computer Science , Electrical , Mechanical engg.) leading to four-year Bachelor of Technology to students that are admitted through JEE.However no admission is available to any Non resident Indian at undergraduate level at the institute. “As per the decision of IIT council the admission to the Undergraduate programme through Direct Admission of Students Abroad (DASA) scheme is abolished
The Indian Institutes of Technology (popularly known as IITs) are institutions of national importance established through an Act of Parliament for fostering excellence in education. There are fifteen IITs at present, located in Bhubaneswar, Chennai, Delhi, Gandhinagar, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Indore, Jodhpur, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Mandi, Mumbai, Patna, Ropar and Roorkee. Over the years IITs have created world class educational platforms dynamically sustained through internationally recognized research based on excellent infrastructural facilities. The faculty and alumni of IITs continue making huge impact in all sectors of society, both in India and abroad. Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University (IT-BHU), Varanasi and Indian School of Mines (ISM), Dhanbad, are amongst the oldest institutions in India and are known for their immense contributions towards society at large and for science and technology in particular.
The primary objectives of these institutions are to:
- build a solid foundation of scientific and technical knowledge and thus to prepare competent and motivated engineers and scientists
- create environment for freedom of thought, cultivate vision, encourage growth, develop personality and self-discipline for pursuit of excellence
- kindle entrepreneurial streak
All of the above help to prepare the students admitted to these institutions for successful professional and social lives. Today, alumni of these institutions occupy key positions in industry and academia, in India and abroad.
Each institute has well-equipped modern laboratories, state-of-the-art computer network and well-stocked technical library. Teaching methods rely on direct personal contact between the teachers and the students, and the use of traditional and modern instructional techniques. Students live in a pleasant and intellectually stimulating environment with people having similar goals and aspirations, which is an exciting and unique experience.
Credit-based academic programmes offer flexibility to students to progress at their own pace. A minimum level of performance is necessary for satisfactory progress. The medium of instruction is English.
Admission to the Undergraduate Programmes at these institutions for all Indian and Foreign nationals is made through a Joint Entrance Examination, IIT-JEE (formerly known as JEE).
Minimum Eligibility Criteria
Master’s degree in appropriate Science streams with a minimum CGPI of 6.5 or 60% marks (55% for SC/ST candidates) with CSIR JRF or UGC JRF NET or valid GATE score along with good academic record. Master’s degree in Engineering/Technology with a good academic record or B. Tech degree of any IIT with a minimum CGPA of 8.0 on a 10.0 point scale or with a valid GATE Score or B.Tech./B.E degree of any recognized University in India with a minimum CGPA of 8.0 on a 10.0 point scale or equivalent with valid GATE score.
Ph.D. Program in School of Basic Sciences
Applications are invited for admission to full time Ph.D.(in Sciences) programs in the following research areas:
- Inverse eigen value problems
- Nonlinear dynamics and chaos
- Inorganic chemistry and Asymmetric catalysis
- Nanophotonics and Quantum opticse) Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Time Series Analysis and Prediction
- Soft Computing
- Numerical Optimization
- Financial Modelling
1. Instruments:IIT Mandi is in the process of installing the following instruments:
- For Characterization Lab: FT-IR spectrophotometer, Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer, Spectrofluorometer, HPLC system, Electrochemical Work Station,
Magnetic susceptibility balance, TGA-DSC-DTA, Dynamic Light Scattering, UV-Visible Spectrophotometer, Powder XRD, Polarimeter, GC, Time-Correlated Single Photon
- For Synthesis Lab:Rotary Evaporator, Muffle Furnace, Fume Hood, Deep Freezer, Vacuum Oven, Flake Ice Making Machine, Double Stage Water Purification System,
Ultracentrifuge, Programmable Spin Coater, Ozone Generator with Oxygen Concentrator
- For Thermo-fluids and Design Labs:NI Data Acquisition Unit, Phantom high speed video camera, Coriolis flow meter, Pressure calibration system, Temperature calibration system. Apart from these, we are planning to install few major instruments like NMR, Single
Crystal XRD, HR-TEM etc. in near future.
2. Computational facilities:128-core rack mounted cluster with Xeon 2.4 GHz quad core processor, 8GB memory per node, Gigabit Ethernet Interconnect, and 6TB storage. The campus is equipped with 1 Gb/s NKN connection and 45 Mb/s Internet connection.
If you are interested, please fill in the online application form (expected to be available online from 7th November, 2011) and send the hard copy of the form (duly signed with photo affixed) to the given address.
Employed candidates seeking admission must submit the Application Form through their employer along with a ‘No Objection Certificate’.
Last date for receipt of completed online application form is 25th November 2011.
Address for correspondence
Head of the Department
School of Basic Sciences
(Vallabh Government Degree College Campus)
Near Bus Stand,
Mandi – 175 001, Himachal Pradesh, India