Procedure for Selection:
– As decided by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India, the procedure for selection of candidates for admission to the Bachelor Degree Courses in Engineering/Technology in National Institute of Technology Durgapur and in other NITs is on the basis of State Rank/ All India Rank (AIR) of AIEEE conducted by Central Board of Secondary Education, New Delhi, and the same is executed through counselling by Central Counselling Board, AIEEE under guidance from MHRD, GOI as per schedule notified by CCB.
– In addition to the normal intake, a few seats are reserved for Foreign Students who are nominated by the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India, and the Indian Council of Cultural Relations, Government of India.
– The minimum academic qualification for admission is “pass” in the qualifying examination (10+2 or its equivalent) with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and English, having secured pass marks in each subject.
– Only those candidates whose date of birth falls on or after October 01, 1984 are eligible for admission in 2009-2010 session. However in case of SC, ST and PH candidates, the upper age limit is relaxed by 5 years.
– The candidate must be in good mental and physical health, and should satisfy the standard physical fitness criteria of the Institute (to be examined and certified by the Medical Officer of the Institute).
Final Admission to the Institution:
– Following the counselling procedure as adopted by CCB, the allotment letter is handed over to the successful candidate, and the candidate is instructed to report to the respective NIT within a specified date.
– For admission to NIT Durgapur, the candidate will be required to bring the following certificates/ documents in original with a set of photocopies at the time of final admission:
(i) AIR Card issued by CBSE
(ii) Allotment Letter issued by CCB
(iii) Date of Birth Certificate
(iv) Certificate/ Marksheet of qualifying examination
(v) Caste Certificate for OBC, SC, ST candidates
(vi) PH Certificate if applicable
(vii) 10 Nos. of Photographs (Colour Passport)
A. For Engineering Disciplines:
– B.E. or B.Tech. in Engg./Tecnology in respective branch of Engg or AMIE(I), AMIIM, AMIIChE by examination having two year of professional experience.
B. For Other Disciplines:
– Chemistry (Corrosion Science, & Technology): M.Sc. in Chemistry (Pure/Applied), B.E. or B.Tech. in ChE.
– Mathematics( Operation Research in Industry/Business Management): B.E./B.Tech. in Engg./Technology, or M.Sc. ( with Mathematics at graduate level), AMIE, AMIM, AMIIChE with two years of professional experience.
– Physics(Advanced Materials Science & Technology): B.E./B.Tech. in Engg./Technology in Metallurgical & Materials Engg., Mechanical Engg., Electronics & Communication Engg. or M.Sc.in Physics, Applied Physics,Materials Science or Electronics.
– Geology(Environmental Science & Technology): B.E./B.Tech. in Engg./Technology in Biotechnology, Chemical Engg., Civil Engg., Electrical Engg., Metallurgical & Materials Engg., Mechanical Engg., or M.Sc.in Physics, Chemistry, Geology, Botany, Zoology or Agricultural Sciences.
Procedure for Selection:
– For full-time courses, candidates will have to qualify in GATE, conducted by IITs. They shall have to appear for interview/viva-voce for final selection. Unemployed Non-GATE candidates may be considered for admission to the full-time courses subject to the availability of seats but they will not be entitled to scholarship. Non-GATE candidates for full-time courses will be selected through college admission test (written/interview).
– Candidates working in industries and business organisations around Durgapur (within the radius of 20 KMs from the college) fulfilling the above qualifications may also apply for part-time courses. No-objection certificate from their employer will be essential for admission.
– Application form is available from the Office of the Dean (Research & Consultancy), on payment of cash at the Institute cash counter or by post. The date and time of distribution and receipt of forms is intimated through the Institute Website
All categories of candidates except the members of the Institute faculty and scholars nominated by the Central Government shall be selected by Departmental Research Programme Committee (DRPC) and, for Full-time Research Scholars, a Central Admission Committee (CAC), on the basis of overall academic performance, interview and/or written test. Admission for Institute Research Scholars shall be notified through Institute website and advertisement indicating the total number of seats available. Regular reservation policy of the Government of India shall apply.
1.1 Status of Research Scholar: The status of the candidates admitted to the PhD programme shall be classified under any one of the following categories:
1. Full-time Institute Research Scholar with Institute Scholarship
2. Full-time Research Scholar with financial support from Government/ Semi-Government organizations/ QIP/ EFIP
3. Full-time Research Scholar sponsored by other organizations
4. Full-time Research Scholar without Institute Scholarship
5. Full-time Foreign Research Scholar admitted under any suitable scheme of Government of India
6. Part-time External Research Scholar
7. Part-time Research Scholar from the Institute Faculty/ Staff
8. Part-time Research Scholar from the Project Staff in the Institute
9. Part-time non-sponsored Research Scholar
1.2 Eligibility for Admission: The minimum qualification required for admission to PhD programme in Engineering, Science, Humanities, Social Science and Management is one of the following:
1.2.1 M. Tech./ M.E. in relevant discipline with at least 6.5 CGPA or 60 percent marks in aggregate in the M.E./ M. Tech. level from a recognized technical institute or university.
1.2.2. B. Tech/ B.E./ MCA in relevant discipline with at least 7.0 CGPA or 65 percent marks in aggregate from a recognized technical institute or university.
1.2.3. M. Sc./ M. Com./ MBA/ PGDBM/ PGDM in relevant discipline with at least 6.5 CGPA or 60 percent marks or equivalent in aggregate from a recognized institute or university.
1.2.4 M.A. in relevant discipline with at least 6.0 CGPA or 55 percent marks in aggregate from a recognized institute or university.
1.2.5. ICWAI/ CA/ PGDM from IIMs without any restriction with respect to marks
1.2.6 MBBS without any restriction with respect to marks
1.2.7 The minimum CGPA/marks shall be relaxed by 0.5 CGPA or 5 percent in case of candidates belonging to the SC/ST categories.
1.2.8 To be considered for Full-time Institute Research Scholar with Institute Scholarship, a valid GATE score/ NET qualification is mandatory for candidates not having M. Tech./ M.E. degree.
1.2.9 The faculty and staff members of the Institute who satisfy the eligibility criteria may be considered for admission to the PhD programme as Part-time Research Scholar subject to a no-objection certificate from the Institute. They shall work for their PhD programme while discharging their normal duties.
1.2.10 Part-time External Research Scholars may carry out their research work in their parent organization after fulfilling the pre-requisites in the Institute. They shall submit a no-objection certificate from the employer during admission.
1.2.11 Mere possession of required degree and a superior academic record do not guarantee admission to a candidate for the Ph.D. programme. Apart from academic record, the DRPC will take into consideration the research aptitude, ability to work in a team, subject interest, availability of Supervisors, facilities in the department and the research focus of the department while selecting candidates to the Ph.D. programme.
1.3 Admission procedure:
1.3.1 Full-time Research Scholars:
22.214.171.124 Application of Candidates applying for PhD programme shall be screened by the respective DRPC. The office of Dean, Research & consultancy shall inform the short-listed candidates by post and the Institute website of the date, time and venue of the admission test and/or interview.
126.96.36.199 Candidates without a valid GATE score/ NET qualification will take a test conducted by the DRPC followed by an interview with the Central Admission Committee (CAC). The DRPC shall immediately communicate the results of the test to the CAC. Candidates with a valid GATE score/ NET qualification will only appear for an interview with the CAC.
188.8.131.52 The Central Admission Committee shall prepare the final list of the selected candidates and forward it to the office of Dean, Research & Consultancy.
184.108.40.206 The office of Dean, Research & Consultancy shall intimate the selected candidates by post and the Institute website.
1.3.2 Other Research Scholars: Candidates shall take a test and/or interview conducted by the respective DRPC. The recommendation of the DRPC shall be communicated to the office of the Dean, Research & Consultancy. The office of Dean, Research & Consultancy shall intimate the selected candidates by post.
1.3.3 All selected Research Scholars shall submit an undertaking that he/she would abide by all rules and regulations and codes of conduct of the Institute.