Department of Architecture
Architecture is considered one of the essential disciplines necessary in city development and urbanization. In general it aims at building cities, roads, homes, hospitals, and other city landmarks as well as site and area planning. Designing in Architecture normally include all that add artistic, philosophical, and psychological dimensions to buildings.
The department of Architecture is the youngest Department at the National Institute of Technology, Hamirpur, and was established in 2000. The Department has been imparting Quality education to B. Arch students by reviewing its curricula from time to time, modernizing its laboratories with state of the art equipments and latest softwares. The classrooms are well equipped with all modern electronic audio-visual facilities.
Presently, the department offers a five-year undergraduate course which includes semester training as per the norms of the Council of Architecture. The department has a very cognitive work environment where innovation is encouraged. Student teacher interaction levels are very high, to the extent that each teacher knows the strengths of each of his students.
Department of Chemistry
The Chemistry department was a part of the formerly department of applied sciences and humanities that has existed as a catering department for all other engineering departments right from the beginning. Chemistry has grown out as an independent department very recently (01.08.2009). The department is on the process of starting courses on its own and an integrated M.Sc. (Chemistry) programme is soon gong to be launched. Teaching engineering chemistry to the first year engineering undergraduate students is the main academic activity of the department at the moment. Other post-graduate courses are also on the anvil. The department also offers open elective courses for undergraduate and postgraduate engineering students.
The main focus of the department is research and the department has active research groups working on:
- Polymer synthesis and characterization
- Organic synthesis
- Drug designing
- Nanomaterial synthesis and characterization
- Heterogeneous catalysis
The department is offering Ph.D. on these and related frontier areas of chemistry. Many external and institute funded research projects are ongoing/completed and a significant number of papers are being published every year from the department.
Department of Civil Engineering
National Institute of Technology, Hamirpur was established in the year 1986 and the Civil Engineering Department is part of the institute since its inception. Civil Engineering is considered to be the most versatile branch among all the engineering branches. It is the branch with lot of diversity right from structural to transportation engineering, environmental to hydrology to hydraulics engineering, geology to geo-technology to earthquake engineering; Civil Engineering can be considered as a single largest branch among all the engineering branches. Being one of the primary Engineering Departments of the Institute, the Department of Civil Engineering offers B. Tech., M. Tech. and Ph.D. degrees programmes, accredited by National Board of Accreditation for five years since January 2008 and has been imparting quality education to its students.
- To provide quality education and training to our graduates to cope up with international standards.
- To conduct regular continuing education and community development programmes.
- To provide extension and consultancy services to Government, private, public and industrial sectors.
- To excel in Industrial Research and consultancy with appropriate national and International linkages and to maintain highest standards in the field of Civil Engineering.
- To be the best-rated departments in India and world in terms of teaching and quality, research contributions, high-end consultancy and academic leadership.
- B. Tech. in Civil Engineering
- M.Tech. in Water Resources Engineering
- M.Tech. in Geotechnical Engineering & Underground Structures
- Ph.D. in Structural Engineering
- Ph.D. in Transportation Engineering
- Ph.D. in Geotechnical Engineering
- Ph.D. in Environmental Engineering
- Ph.D. in Water Resources Engineering
- Ph.D. in Geology
Department of Computer Sciences and Engineering
The Department of Computer Science and Engineering was established in the year 1989. The Department offers B.Tech., M.Tech. & Ph.D. degrees. The B.Tech. programme has been accredited by NBA for a period of five years w.e.f. Jan 2008. The Department is well equipped with computers, software and modern IT infrastructure, and our students are exposed to up-to-date equipment, technology and techniques. Our students graduate with more than 100% placement through campus and some of them are placed in more than one organization. The department has well experienced & dedicated faculty members with different specializations. We have well equipped laboratories with state-of-the-art facilities like servers/workstations (from SUN, IBM, HP, Dell, etc.), desktops and mobile devices. Download the department brochure
Some Highlights of the Department:
- Young, dynamic and energetic faculty. Out of 11 regular faculty members 3 are PhDs, 2 have submitted & 2 are pursuing.
- State of art facilities for carrying out research in computer science & engineering and allied fields.
- Excellent facilities to faculty like desktop, laptop, laser printer, scanner, VoIP phone, Internet, etc.
- Excellent infrastructure: building, space, class-rooms, seating arrangements, etc.
- Adequate teaching aids like black/white boards, LCD projectors, etc.
- Excellent results.
- Students highly sought by industry and end up with lucrative jobs.
- Excellent facilities for imparting training/courses to engineering & other faculty, students, community, etc.
- Involvement of faculty members in institutional development work (automation, video conferencing, networking, etc.)
- Transparency in academic and administrative processes.
- Excellent teaching learning environment.
Department of Computer Science and Engineering offers graduate and post-graduate programs in following areas:
1. Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science and Engineering
2. Master of Technology in Computer Science and Engineering
3. Master of Technology in Mobile Computing
4. Master of Technology in VLSI (in collaboration with E&CE Department)
5. Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science and Engineering
Department of Electronics & Communication Engineering
E&CED is making exhilarating progress in areas ranging from microelectronics, mobile communications to VLSI Design Automation. In labs and classrooms, students draw on the expertise and knowledge of our able faculty, integrating practical, hands-on research experience with challenging and interesting course-work. The team approach is very warm in the Department of E&CE. A palpable excitement surrounds the Department of E&CE, an enthusiasm pervades every classroom and lab, invigorating our students and spurring on our faculty to fresh innovations. In an age when electronics play a major role in daily life and the promise of nanotechnology is coming to fruition, it truly is a great time to be a part of E&C engineering.
The pollution free aura of the state surrounded by snow-clad Dauladhar ranges, technological strength and increasing national prominence has presented us with unmatched opportunities for research, education, and service to society. We have grown into a most sought after departments in NIT Hamirpur, adding more faculty and branching into new projects and research areas. Our department maintains close affiliations and has a joint project with CSED. At B.Tech Level, 15th batch of E&CE passed out in 2006. M.Tech. in VLSI Design Automation & Techniques has started from 2006.
Degrees from E&CE Department, NIT Hamirpur HP are very prestigious all over the country & abroad.
The various degree programmes offered by E&CE department are:
- 1. Bachelor of Technology (B. Tech.) in Electronics & Communication Engineering.
- 2. Master of Technology (M. Tech.) in VLSI Design Automation & Techniques.
- 3. Master of Technology (M. Tech.) in Communication Systems & Networks.
- 4. Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in VLSI Design, Optical Fiber Communication and Electronics & Communication Engineering.
Department of Electrical Engineering
Electrical Engineering Department, established in the year 1986, is one of the oldest departments of National Institute of Technology, Hamirpur. The department has been imparting quality education at undergraduate and post graduate level. The course curriculum is being revised from time to time so as to keep abreast with the latest developments and emerging technologies. Various departmental laboratories have been strengthened and modernized by procuring state of art equipments and latest softwares. In addition to these laboratories department has TIFAC-CORE project in area of Power Transformer Diagnostics with financial outlay of rupees five crores. The classrooms are well equipped with all modern audio-visual facilities. Three post graduate programs in the areas of Power System, Signal Processing & Control and Condition Monitoring Protection & Control of Electrical Apparatus are running in the department. Department is offering PhD program in all the disciplines of electrical engineering. Highly dedicated, hardworking, young, dynamic and well qualified faculty is the main asset of the department. Faculty members are actively involved in, consultancy, R&D activities and publish their research work regularly in the journals of National & International repute. The department realizes its responsibility towards the society and nation at large and in order to serve this objective numerous community development programs, STCs, workshops and conferences have been organized regularly.
The department offers several levels of education in the field of Electrical Engineering:
- Bachelor of Technology in Electrical Engineering
- Master of Technology in Advance Power System
- Doctor of Philosophy in Electrical Engineering
Department of Humanities & Social Science
Department of Mathematics
The department of Mathematics came in to existence in 1st Aug., 2009. Previously, this department was a part of the formerly department of Applied Sciences & Humanities, which came in to existence in 1986. The department has 05 regular faculty members. We have developed infrastructure of high quality to fulfill the needs of various engineering main streams. The Department has a vibrant research atmosphere backed up by excellent infrastructural facilities. We have a modern mathematical computational laboratory. The department admits students under Ph.D. programme. M. Sc. in Mathematics, Integrated programme in M.Sc. (Mathematics) are soon going to be launched. MCA with in collaboration with CSE department is also going to be start soon. The department also offers open elective courses for undergraduate and postgraduate engineering students. This department has been contributing a lot for the overall development of the institution since its inception. Specially, this department has done extremely well in research despite many constraints.
Download Research & Development (R & D) projects
Department of Mechanical Engineering
The Department of Mechanical Engineering came into its existence right from the inception of the then Regional Engineering College Hamirpur (now National Institute of Technology Hamirpur) in the year 1986 and served as catering department to other disciplines. The discipline of Mechanical Engineering started offering undergraduate programme leading to four year Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) degree in Mechanical Engineering in the year 1994. The first batch was started with an intake of 30 students which has now been enhanced to 60 students by the Ministry of HRD, Government of India from the session 2006-2007.
The department is offering 4 year B.Tech . degree programme in Mechanical Engineering. The entire programme is spanning over 8 semesters consisting of course work, practical , field training and project work. The department has started a Postgraduate programme leading to M. Tech. Degree with specialization in Computational Methods and Experimental Techniques in Fluid Flow & Heat transfer admitting students from the session 2005-2006 and offering a Ph.D programme in the areas of Design, Thermal, Production/Industrial. Research scholars have registered and are pursuing their Ph.D work. The department has also submitted proposals to start new PG programmes on CAD/CAM and MBA (Industrial Management).
Department of Physics
Download the Research Guidance