Departments in NIT Kurukshetra
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Applications
- Deptt. of Business Administration
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Industrial Engineering and Management
CIVIL ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT
Aims and Objectives of the Department / Mission
Following are the long-range goals of the department
- To impart quality teaching at the undergraduate and post-graduate levels to attain excellence and thus to empower students to meet the technological needs and socio-economic challenges.
- Expansion and diversification of programs at post-graduate level to suit technical advances with following specialisations.
- Structural Engineering (in existence)
- Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering (in existence)
- Water Resources Engineering (in existence)
- Environmental Engineering (Already proposed)
- Transportation Engineering (To be started from 2006 – 07)
- Surveying and Remote Sensing Engineering
- Earthquake Engineering
- Rock Mechanics
- More extensive industrial liaison and strengthening of need-based research activities leading to doctoral (in existence) and post-doctoral research in various infrastructural and other emerging areas of Civil Engineering.
- To evolve a system for the development of faculty members and other supporting staff in the department.
- To promote and provide consultancy and testing facilities with a view to generate additional resources and to keep in touch with latest demands of the profession.
Space for Teaching and Learning
|Sr. No.||Type of Space||Seating capacity||No. of rooms||Area (Sq.m.)|
|1.||Lecture Rooms||70 each||8*||99|
|2.||Tutorial Rooms||25 each||14*||16|
|7.||Faculty Room||1 each||25||16|
|11.||Replace Rooms||1 or 2||20||16|
|12.||Store Rooms||4||16, 24|
* Shared by other departments of the institute
|Seating capacity||Area in Sq.m|
|Current Periodicals room||——–||——–|
|Office & Store||——–||——–|
Departmental Library Books and Journals
|Books, Projects, Theses, Reports etc||400|
- Total Number of Ph.D. Awarded : 37
- Number of Ph.D. in Progress : 22
- Number of M.Tech.Awarded : 160
- Number of Research Papers Published : 520
- Number of Book Published : 06
- Awards/Honours/Medals : 04
Department Of Electrical Engineering
The Department of Electrical Engineering is one of the largest departments in NIT Kurukshetra, and has a distinguished faculty, holding Ph.D Degrees from renowned institutes in India.
The Primary objective of the department is to impart quality education and training at the undergraduate, postgraduate and research levels in the areas of Electrical Engineering.
- Training students at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Research and Development in all branches of Electrical Engineering.
- Providing continuing education programmes for working professionals.
- Collaborating with government agencies, defence organisations, national and international industries of repute and universities worldwide through sponsored research, consultancy projects and manpower training schemes.
Faculty are encouraged to take independent initiatives with collective responsibility in all the relevant academic and R&D dimensions – teaching, curriculum development, graduate research supervision, R&D, continuing education or organisation of conferences, symposia, etc. They have ample freedom to associate as members of team with other faculty, research engineers or with faculty in interdisciplinary areas. The department has an open atmosphere with ample scope for faculty to work with other departments and centers within the Institute.
B. TECH PROGRAMME
Intake – 90
Syllabi of the B. Tech is revised from time to time by our own faculty, however, suggestions of experts from Academic institutes and industry are taken, keeping in view the demand of the day. Courses designed are such that in general, hands on sessions in laboratory follow theory courses. Practical training is imparted to the students in industry during summers vacations. Students are assigned major projects which includes design, fabrication and Testing and development of software etc. Department offers departmental electives in final year leading to degree of electrical engineering with specialization in the following areas.
- Power Apparatus and Systems
- Electronics and Instrumentation
- Computer Applications
- Information and Control
Which helps them in good placement through campus. Apart form this students pursue for higher studies research both in India as well as abroad.
M. TECH PROGRAMME
Control System : with intake – 10+5 (sponsored) Download scheme
Power System : with intake – 10+5 (sponsored) Download scheme
Power Electronics & Driver : with intake – 10+5 (sponsored) under teqip Download scheme
The Department is well supported in infrastructure and research resources through the institute as well as through various sponsoring agencies and some industry.
Department offers full time research scholarships for scholars leading to the degree of Doctorate of Philosophy. Facility of part time registration is also available to facilitate the faculty of local and neighboring institute to enhance themselves.
The current active areas of academic programs and research include :
- Reliability and Systems
- Electric Drives
- Digital Instrumentation and Control
- Power System Stability
- Linear Control Systems
- Microprocessor Based Systems
- Robust Control
- Robot Control
- Power System Restructuring and Deregulation, and Energy Management Systems
- Power Quality Control in Power Systems
- Control Applications in Power Drives
- Artificial Intelligence
- High Voltage Engineering (in future)
- DSP Applications
Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering
The Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering offers following programmes:
|1.||B.Tech.||Electronics & Communication Engineering||90|
|2.||M.Tech.||i. Electronics & Communication Engineering|
ii. VLSI Design
|3.||Ph.D.||Different areas of Electronics & Communication Engineering||15|
Since its inception, the Department has shown exponential growth in terms of modernization of the existing laboratories and establishment of new laboratories equipped with state-of-the-art facilities, curriculum development in consonance with the industrial needs, placement of the students, and research papers publication of the faculty members. The faculty members have made a mark in the area of innovative hardware design, modeling & analysis and developing new techniques and algorithms, in the fields of data communication systems and wireless networks, signal processing and VLSI design. The Department is well supported in infrastructure and hardware & software resources for UG, PG, and Ph.D. programmes. The computer center of the Department equipped with PCs, servers, and networking equipments provides all the necessary computing facilities to the students, faculty and staff. Analytical and simulation tools and test beds/working benches are available to carry out research and development in different dimensions of Electrons and Communication Engineering. The current active areas of research include the following:
Advanced communication systems, wireless networks, mobile computing, signal processing, low power design, wireless sensor networks, spread spectrum communication systems, redundancy techniques in digital circuits, microwaves and antenna, optical communication and networks.
Faculty members are encouraged to take independent initiatives in all the relevant academic and research & development activities including teaching, research, and curriculum development, supervision of research leading to Ph.D. degree, continuing education programmes, and organization of workshop, short term courses, and seminars / conferences. The Department attracts funding form government and industry for its research projects.
B. Tech Degree
The department has been offering B.Tech. Degree Course in Computer Engineering since 1987 with an intake of 33 students. A sound theoretical and practical work prepares the students in wider field of Computer Engineering to take up challenging jobs in the area of :-
- Systems Software Development
- Application Software Development
- Computer Networking.
The department has also offering B.Tech. Degree Courses in Information Technology since 2006 with present intake of 84 student.
There is 100% placement of all students through campus and our students are placed in reputed IT companies like Microsoft, IBM, TCS, HCL, Hughes, Perrot Systems, DRDO, CMC, VSNL, Wipro, Google, CDOT, Satyam, Oracle, HP, Samsung, Infosys etc.
M. Tech Degree
M. Tech. Degree Course in Computer Engineering (part-time) has been introduced from 1996 for sponsored candidates of the NIT, Kurukshetra.
M. Tech. Degree Course in Computer Engineering (Regular) has been introduced from 2009.
Degree of Doctor of Philosophy
Facilities for research are offered in the department on various topics leading to Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Engineering.
Faculty is specialized in the department for advanced studies and research exit in the following fields:-
- Operating Systems
- Computer Networks
- Distributed Computing
- Software Engineering
- Object Oriented Technology
- Database and Data Mining
In the 1st and 2nd semester, the students of all B. Tech branches are given compulsory courses in Physics while a number of courses are offered as Non Departmental Electives in the 7th & 8th semesters as well.
The Department offers curricula consisting the basic principles of Physics besides emerging areas of Technology so as to provide necessary background to future Engineers.
DEPARTMENT OF CHEMISTRY
The department offers two compulsory courses in Chemistry as an integral part of the curriculum of the engineering degree courses in the first semester and second semester. Emphasis is laid on the basic principles of Chemistry and their applications in engineering disciplines. Extensive laboratory training is imparted to the students in both semesters.
The department offers the following electives to students of the 7th and 8th semesters :
- Metals & Alloys
- Polymer Technology
- Qualitative and quantitative characterization of materials.
- Inorganic and organic research lab.
- Physical Research Laboratory
- Spectroscopic Laboratory (FTIR and UV-visible spectrophotometers)
Research facilities leading to the degree of Doctor of Phiolosophy exist in the Department. At present, members of the staff are doing research in the following fields:
- Bio-inorganic chemistry
- Co-ordination chemistry
- Microcyclic chemistry
- Polymer and Polymer anchored coordination chemistry
COMPUTER APPLICATIONS DEPARTMENT
Responding to an increasing demand for computer professionals in the country and keeping in line with its stated goal of regularly adding new courses as a part of its 20-year growth plan, NITK has started an MCA programme effective 2007-08. With the introduction of the programme, the Institute extends its long years of expertise into the field of Computer Applications thus fulfilling its commitment to the IT industry worldwide and the society at large of developing computer professionals with varied competencies and ethical values. The programme will derive strength from:
- Expert faculty, and well established administrative, consultancy, training and placement infrastructure of NIT Kurukshetra.
- Latest IT industry oriented flexible curriculum.
- Specialized training from experts from leading IT industry.
- Placement assistance from Training and Placement Cell.
Deptt. of Business Administration, NITK
The MBA program at NITK is the Institute’s response to the ever increasing demand for management professionals. This program leads the way in preparing its students to respond to the new challenges by drawing on the varied intellectual resources of the institute and providing a well structured, innovative program in management education. The 2 year program has been developed into a perfect blend of management theory and practice and real world issues and problems in an effort to groom competent managers capable of devising globally optimised solutions. To ensure the quality of students, the entry into the course is through the stringent screening process using CAT score followed by Group discussion and Personal Interview.
DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS
Aims & Objective
- To start M. Tech. Course in Computational Techniques and Modelling.
- To organize conferences and seminars in emerging area of Science & Technology.
- To lay thrust on research activities in vigor manner by way of fetching research projects from various funding agencies.
Undergraduate & Postgraduate Courses
The department offers courses in Mathematics to both the Undergraduate and Postgraduate students of the Institute.
The aim is to equip the engineering students with modern concepts of Mathematics and Mechanics as applied in different engineering disciplines.
The following electives are offered to students of the 7th and 8th semesters :
- Advanced Applied Mathematics-I
- Advanced Applied Mathematics-II
During the first six semesters, the following compulsory courses are taught to B. Tech. students of all branches :
- Communication Skills in English (one semester)
- Engineering Economics (one semester)
- Organizational Behaviour (one semester)
- Business Management (one semester)
In addition to the compulsory courses, the following electives are offered to students of the 7th and 8th semesters :
- Advanced Communication Skills in English
- Development and Planning in Indian Economy
- Modern Trends in Management
- Human Resource Management
- Industrial Social Responsibility
The department offers facilities for Doctoral research in the following areas :
- Anglo Saxon and Medieval English (Pre-Chaucerian) Poetry, Applied Linguistics (English Language Teaching, Translation Studies)
- Agricultural Economics, Industrial Economics, Indian Economy.
- Human Resources Management and Industrial Relations.
- Finance Management, Marketing Management.
- Intellectual Property Rights
Industrial Engineering and Management is an interdisciplinary course which was introduced to bridge the gap between hardcore engineering and management sciences. It is the engineering discipline that offers the most wide-ranging array of opportunities in terms of employment, and it is distinguished by its flexibility. It involves development and implementation of practical systems to solve many of the industrial problems. This may take place at the level of production, where an industrial engineer is involved with operational performance, making use of energy resources, calculating production costs, or ensuring that processes are running smoothly. Industrial engineering encompasses the area of product quality control, transportation, and industrial processes.
Industrial Engineering draws upon the principles and methods of engineering analysis and synthesis, as well as mathematical, physical and social sciences together with the principles and methods of engineering analysis and design to specify, predict and evaluate the results to be obtained from such systems.
Industrial Engineering is at the heart of the systems that are essential to our society. From airlines to online retailers, from hospitals to manufacturers, from telecommunication companies to world-wide shipping companies, industrial engineers design solutions to improve the performance of complex systems of people, technology, and information.
In lean manufacturing systems, industrial engineers work to eliminate wastes of time, money, materials, energy, and other resources, whereas most engineering disciplines apply skills to very specific areas, industrial engineering is applied in virtually every industry.
Download Course Sche