About National Institute of Technology,Raipur
The first President of independent India honorable Dr. Rajendra Prasad laid the Foundation stone of National Institute Of Technology,Raipuron 14th September 1956. The construction work was completed in 1962 and inauguration was on 14th March 1963 by India’s first Prime Minister Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru. After independence and with reorganisation of the state of Madhya Pradesh, the government attention was directed towards giving priority to overall development of technical education.
Till as late as 1956 there were only three technical institutes in the country offering courses in the important fields of Mining and Metallurgical Engineering. In view of this fact and also with an aim of harnessing the ample mineral resources of the region, this institute was set-up on 1st May 1956 as Government College of Mining and Metallurgy. The first session of the college commenced from 1st July 1956 with the admission of 15 students each in Mining and Metallurgy Engineering.
In 1958-59 with the commencement of additional courses in Civil, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering the college came to be known as Government College of Engineering and Technology. Later graduate courses in Chemical Engineering (1965), Architecture (1984), Electronics (1985), Information Technology, Computer Science and Technology (2000), Biotechnology, Biomedical Engineering (2003) were also started. In view of its great past with 50 years old record of excellence and several strengths, the institute has been declared as National Institute of Technology (NIT) by the Central Government on 1st Dec. 2005.
National Institute of Technology Raipur (Formerly Government Engineering College Raipur), situated in the capital of a newly incepted state of Chhattisgarh, has proven to be “avant-grade’ in the field of science and technology over past few decades in this region. With sweet memory of foundation ceremony by our president Hon’ble Dr. Rajendra Prasad on 14th September 1956. the institute started with two departments namely Metallurgical and Mining Engineering. Later the inauguration of the Institute building was done by our Prime Minister Hon’ble Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru on 14th March 1963. From 1st December 2005, the institute has become the National Institute of Technology.
The institute is committed to the challenging task of development of technical education by preparing seasoned graduates in highly sophisticated field of engineering and technology. Development of India as an emerging industrial power is a demanding exercise as it involves the combination of cost effectiveness and efficiency along with producing world-class technology at the cutting edge. For about five decades we have been doing it with sincerity and commitment at NIT Raipur. At present the institute offers graduate level courses in twelve disciplines
- Applied Geology
- Applied Mechanics
- Bio Medical Engineering
- Bio Technology
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Physics
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics & Telecom. Engineering
- Information Technology
- Master In Computer Application
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Metallurgy Engineering
The Institute, located in Raipur, the Capital City of Chhattisgarh State, is spared over an area of 100 acres. Raipur city is well connected with Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Visakhapatnam, Nagpur & Bhubneshwar by regular flights and is on the main Howrah-Mumbai railway line route. The institute is 5 km from Raipur railway station and 14 km from airport on NH-6, the Great Eastern Road. The state of chhattisgarh is a mineral rich state having enormous potential for development with seemingly inexhaustible natural resources of coal, iron ore, lime stones, dolomite, tin, gem-stones and other minerals. Many industries, such as those of cement, steel, steel alooy, mines etc., are located in the vicinity of the institute giving it a unique advantage for industry-institute interaction in various disciplines of engineering. Starting with two branches in 1956 the institute has grown in tandem with the major surrounding industries – the Bhilai Steel Plant, SECL, BALCO and NTPC, Korba – and presently offers 12 undergraduate and 6 Postgraduate courses including M.C.A and M.Tech. in Applied Geology. The institute offers facilities for Ph.D. and also under takes R & D activities, provides testing, consultancy and other extension services including continuing education to the industry through the Industry Institute Interaction cell and the placement of the student through the Department of Training & Placement. The students have brought laurels to the institute and very well placed in Government organisation, Public and Private Sectors, Multinational Companies, Universities, research organisation in India and abroad.The Institute is contributing to the technological, industrial and economical development of the region and the country for last five decades. The Institute has long recognized its role in engineering education, generation and dissemination of useful and relevant technologies in the service of the society.As you move along the National Highway # 6 (from Raipur to Bhilai) the largest campus which comes to notice and building which strikes your imagination immediately will be that of Govt. Engineering College, Raipur, spread over an area of 100 acres, it is one of the biggest campus amongst all the technical institutions of Chhattisgarh. The campus is a completely planned entity consisting of the main institute building, six hostel blocks, residential quarters for teaching and non-teaching staff, a bank, a separate PWD and electricity office for campus maintenance, a well equipped dispensary and a well maintained guest house. The campus has got an additional facility of a local railway station meant specially for the benefit of the students of nearby areas. This campus is away from hubbubs of the city yet it is easily accessible from it. The institute is about 5 km from the Raipur railway station and about 12 km from the air port.The institute has a well – organised, magnificent building symbolising the grandeur of the institute. This huge building alone covers a total area of 62060 sq.m. It is a triple storied planned structure alongwith a central tower standing upto the height 23 meters. There are 35 lecture halls extending over an area of 6675 sq.m & 13 drawing halls/studios extending over an area of 3510 sq.m. about 85 labs over an area of 11510 sq.m. The other amenities comprise of a canteen, cycle stand, N.C.C, N.S.S department, a student activity centre co-operative store, and dispensary. The building is being further extended for the architecture and electronics departments with the construction cost of about Rs. 40 Lakh.
Raipur, the capital of Chhattisgarh, has been the place of strategic importance- being the gateway to the mineral rich Chhattisgarh state, having an enormous potential for development with seemingly inexhaustible natural resources. The city of Raipur is situated on the trunk line connecting Bombay and Howrah at a distance 831 Km from Howrah and 311 Km from Nagpur on the national highway #6. The location of this institute is in the vicinity of Bhilai steel plant. Raipur is well connected through Air-Routes from Mumbai, New Delhi, Chennai, Bhubaneshwar, Vizag, Nagpur and Kolkata.
Area: 8000 hectares;
Population: 30 lakhs
Languages: Hindi, English, Chattisgarhi
Festivals: Gouri-Goura, Surti, Hareli, Pola, Teeja
STD Code: 0771
Raipur has a tropical wet and dry climate, temperatures remain moderate throughout the year, except from March to June, which can be extremely hot. The city receives about 1,300 millimetres (51 in) of rain, mostly in the monsoon season from late June to early October.