The University of Calicut was established in the year 1968. UOC is an affiliating university located at Thenjipalam in Malappuram district of Kerala state in India. Calicut University offers Under Graduate, Post Graduate, Diploma, PG Diploma and Certificate programmes. The University has a total of 34 teaching departments under the campus schools. The departments offer post-graduate courses and research programmes. There are a total of 10 University campus that comprises of these 34 teaching departments. Check out the page for Calicut University.
Calicut University has a number of off-campus centres in neighbouring districts, especially Kozhikode, Wayanad, Thrissur, Palakkad and Lakshadweep Islands. Have a quick look at Calicut University from the table mentioned below.
|Location||Malappuram, Kerala, India|
|Courses||UG, PG, Diploma, PG Diploma and Certificate Courses|
Calicut University Academic Calendar
Calicut University provides academic calendar for various UG and PG prgrammes. Check out the academic calendar for the session 2019-2020.
Calicut University Schools
The University of Calicut has following ten schools. Each school comprises a group of related departments. Each department in the School has separate head of the department for effective administration. Check out the list of these campus schools from the following.
|School Name||Department Name|
|School of Language and Literature||
|School of Bioscience||
|School of Social Sciences||
|School of Mathematics & Computational Sciences||
|School of Chemical and Physical Sciences||
|School of Information and Communication Studies||
|School of Fine Arts||
|School of Business Studies||
Calicut University Departments
The University of Calicut has a total of 34 teaching departments. Check out the list of these University teaching departments from the following.
- Department of Arabic – The Department was setup in 1974 to promote higher studies and research in Arabic language and literature in Kerala.
- Department of English – The Department of English, University of Calicut was established in the year 1969, has come to be recognized as a major academic centre for studies in English language and literature in Kerala.
- Department of Hindi – The Department of Post Graduate Studies and Research in Hindi was established in July 1971.
- Department of Malayalam & Kerala Studies – The Department of Malayalam was set up in the year 1971.
- Department of Sanskrit – The Department was established in the year 1978.
- Department of Biotechnology – The Department of Biotechnology was conceptualized and founded under the Chairmanship of Prof. (Dr.) V.J.Philip in the year 1994.
- Department of Botany – Established in 1963 as one of the four Departments at the Calicut centre of the University of Kerala, the Department came under the University of Calicut when it was established in 1968.
- Department of Life Science – The department was established in February 1978.
- Department of Psychology – The Department was established in 1976 as the second University Department in the State.
- Department of Zoology – The Department of Zoology was established in 1963 as a satellite center of Kerala University and became the part of Calicut University in 1968.
- Department of Economics – The University established the Department of Economics in 1976.
- Department of Folklore Studies – The Centre for Folklore Studies was established in 1999 at Vatakara.
- Department of History – The Department of Post Graduate studies in History was established in 1963 as part of the Calicut centre of Kerala University.
- Department of Philosophy – The Department was set up in 1976 to offer post graduate courses in Philosophy.
- Department of Political Science – The Department of Political Science is one of the youngest departments in the University. It was established in the year 2014 under the School of Humanities.
- Department of Women’s Studies – Centre for Women’s Studies started functioning from October 1, 2005 onwards with financial assistance from the UGC.
- Department of Mathematics – The Department of Mathematics, University of Calicut came into existence in September 1976. The Department offer M.Sc., M.Phil. and Ph.D. Programmes.
- Department of Statistics – The Department was set up in 1988 to provide facilities for teaching, training and research in Statistics.
- Department of Physics – The department is a premier pure and applied science department established in 1971.
- Department of Nanoscience and Technology – Department of Nanoscience & Technology is one of the relatively new Departments in the University of Calicut. The Department initiated an M. Tech program in Nanoscience & Technology.
- Department of Lifelong Learning and Extension – The Department of Lifelong Learning and Extension was established in 1968.
- Department of Physical Education – The Department has established in the year 1968.
- Department of Journalism and Mass Communication – The Department of Journalism and Mass Communication (DJMC),University of Calicut, the first University teaching and research department for Mass Communication in Kerala was set up in 1978 with a one-year Bachelor Degree programme in Journalism (BJ).
- Department of Library and Information Science – The Department of Library and Information Science at University of Calicut is one of the premier institutions devoted to Library and Information Science education and research in India. The department was established as a full-fledged department of study and research in 1985.
- Department of Drama & Fine Arts – The School of drama established in 1977.
- Department of Commerce and Management Studies – The Department is one of the first University Departments in Kerala to offer Management courses.
- Department of Geology – Department of Geology was established in the year 2015.
- Department of Law – The Department of Law was established in the year 2015. The Department offers LL.M course with double specialization of two years.
- Department of Russian & Comparative Literature
- Department of Environment Science
- Department of Education
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Computer Science
Calicut University Courses Offered
Calicut University offers Under Graduate, Post Graduate and Other Graduates (Diploma, PG Diploma, Certificate) programmes. Check out the list of these courses from the following.
|Programme Name||Courses Offered|
Calicut University Affiliated Colleges
Calicut University has following UG and PG programme affiliated colleges. Check out the list of these UG and PG affiliated colleges from the following.
Calicut University Academic Chairs
The University of Calicut has following nine academic chairs. Check out the list of these academic chairs from the following.
- EMS Chair for Marxian Studies and Research
- Chair for Christian Studies and Research
- Chair for Maritime History of South India
- Chair for Sanathana Dharma Studies and Research
- Chair for Islamic Studies and Research
- Chair for Gandhian Studies and Research
- Vaikam Muhammed Basheer Chair
- C H Mohammed Koya Chair for Developing Socities
- Maulana Abdul Kalam Azad Chair
Calicut University Central Facilities
Calicut University provides various facilities for the students, staff, faculties and guests. Check out the list of these facilities from the following.
- Computer Centre
- CHMK Library
- Botanical Garden
- Madhava Observatory
- Instrumentation Facility
- University Museum
- University Park
- University Science Instrumentation Centre
Calicut University Contact Details
Name: University of Calicut
Location: Malappuram, Kerala, India – 673 635
Phone No.: 0471 155 300, 0471 2115054, 0471 2115098
Official Website: www.uoc.ac.in