The University of North Bengal was established in the year 1962 by an Act of the Legislature of West Bengal. It is located in Darjeeling, West Bengal, India. North Bengal University offers Under Graduate, Post Graduate, PG Diploma, M.Phil. and Ph.D. programmes under the two faculties. There are a total of 34 University teaching departments under the Faculty of Science, Arts, Commerce, and Law. The University has a total of 64 District-wise affiliated colleges in five districts – Darjeeling, Jalpaiguri, Cooch Behar, Alipurduar and Uttar Dinajpur. The University also offers Self Finance courses for the students. Check out the page for the University of North Bengal.
University of North Bengal (NBU)
NBU also has 09 centers under the Faculty of Science and 07 centers under the Faculty of Arts, Commerce, and Law. North Bengal University provides various facilities like hostels, University library, computer centers, health centers, AKM museums, auditoriums, etc. for the students, staff, and quests. Have a quick look at North Bengal University from the table given below:
|Name||University of North Bengal|
|Location||Darjeeling, West Bengal, India|
|Courses||PG, PG Diploma, M.Phil. and Ph.D. Courses|
NBU Admission Process
Admission in North Bengal University is based on both the merit of the qualifying examination and also on marks obtained in entrance examinations. Applications forms for admission are available online at the official website. Interested students are advised to fill and submit the online application form on or before the last date along with the application fee. Payment can be done in both online and offline mode. For M.Phil./ Ph.D. programmes, admission is done through the marks obtained in the entrance examination.
North Bengal University has two faculties – Faculty of Science and Faculty of Arts, Commerce and Law. The list of faculties and their departments is given below in the following table.
|Name of the Faculty||Name of the Department|
|Faculty of Science||Department of Anthropology|
Department of Bio-Technology
Department of Botany
Department of Chemistry
Department of Computer Sc. and Application
Department of Food Technology
Department of Geography and Applied Geography
Department of Mathematics
Department of Microbiology (Self-Financed)
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology
Department of Physics
Department of Tea Science(Self-Financed)
Department of Zoology
Department of Bioinformatics
Department of Geology(B.Sc and M.Sc integrated Course)
|Faculty of Arts, Commerce and Law||Department of Bengali|
Department of Commerce
Department of Economics
Department of Education
Department of English
Department of Hindi
Department of History
Department of Law
Department of Library and Information Science
Department of Lifelong Learning and Extension
Department of Management
Department of Mass Communication
Department of Nepali
Department of Philosophy
Department of Political Science
Department of Sanskrit (At NBU Jalpaiguri Campus)
Department of Sociology
Departmet of Strategic & Area Studies (Under CHS.)
There are a total of 34 University Teaching Departments. NBU has 15 teaching departments under the Faculty of Science and 19 teaching departments under the Faculty of Arts, Commerce and Law. The list for the same is given below.
Faculty of Science
- Department of Anthropology – The Department of Anthropology offers M. Sc. and Ph.D. programmes in different fields of Anthropology. It was established under the faculty of Science in the year 2001.
- Department of Bio-Technology – The Department of Biotechnology, University of North Bengal, promotes and facilitates faculty and student research in Microbiology, Biochemistry, molecular biology, cell biology, and molecular genetics. It offers M.Sc. and Ph.D.
- Department of Botany – Since establishment in 1984, the department flourished with tireless efforts of faculties, staff and students. This department offers M.Sc. and Ph.D.
- Department of Chemistry – The Department of Chemistry has M. Sc. and Ph. D. Programmes. The Department was selected by the UGC for Special Assistance Programme under Departmental Research Support category.
- Department of Computer Sc. and Application – The Department started imparting instructions with the most modern curricula and syllabus to the students of Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Application Course in the year 1983 initially. Afterwards starts MCA Course in the year 1988. Presently the department is successfully running MCA & M.Sc. (Computer Science) Courses.
- Department of Food Technology – The Department of Food Technology will be starting M.Sc. course (2 years) in Food Technology and PhD in Food Technology from the academic session 2019-2020.
- Department of Geography and Applied Geography – The Department runs a Weather/Climate Monitoring Centre and provides data to external clients on request. This department offers M.A. and Ph.D. programmes.
- Department of Mathematics – The Department of Mathematics came into existence in 1962. The Department conducts Master’s degree programme in Mathematics and Ph. D. programmes.
- Department of Microbiology (Self-Financed) – The Department of Microbiology was established in the year 2005. The department offers MSc degree in Microbiology by coursework and project. Currently the department has four faculty members and about 36 postgraduate students and associated staff.
- Department of Pharmaceutical Technology – The Department of Pharmaceutical Technology is going to start post graduate course in Pharmacy (specialization in Pharmaceutics and Pharmacognosy) and Ph.D. Program from the upcoming academic year 2019-20.
- Department of Physics – Physics is one of those departments with which North Bengal University started its journey in the year 1962. At present there are nine faculty members and ten non-teaching employees in the department. The department offers both M.Sc. and Ph.D. courses.
- Department of Tea Science(Self-Financed) – The Department of Tea Science the only UGC approved department of its kind in the country was established in the year 1995 with a professional course in Tea Management on self-financing basis and has been gradually developed today to provide the courses of M.Sc. (in early 2010), M. Phil and PhD programme apart from the Post Graduate diploma course.
- Department of Zoology – The Department of Zoology, University of North Bengal was established in 1984. It offers M.Sc. in Zoology and Ph.D. programmes.
- Department of Bioinformatics – This department offers M.Sc. and Post Graduate Diploma in Bioinformatics (PGDBI).
- Department of Geology (B.Sc and M.Sc integrated Course) – This department offers B.Sc. and M.Sc. integrated courses.
Faculty of Arts, Commerce and Law
- Department of Bengali – The Department of Bengali commenced its journey from 8th February 1965, three years after the establishment of the University of North Bengal. This department offers M.A., M.Phil. and Ph.D. Course Work.
- Department of Commerce – The Post Graduate Department of Commerce was established in 1965 with the purpose to promote state of the art teaching and research and in Business Operations and Management. The primary programme offered by the department is Masters in Commerce, with specializations offered in Accounting and Finance, Personnel Management and Industrial Relations, Marketing, Banking and Finance and International finance.
- Department of Economics – The Department of Economics was established on 2 November 1962. It offers M.A., M.Phil. and Ph.D. in Economics.
- Department of Education – The Department of Education is one of the newest Departments of University of North Bengal. This Department started its journey from 2018.
- Department of English – The Department of English was one of the few departments with which the University of North Bengal started functioning fifty years ago in 1962.
- Department of Hindi – The Department of Hindi, NBU was opened under the X (10th) plan of U.G.C. in the year 2004. It offers M.A. and Ph.D. programmes.
- Department of History – This department offers M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D programmes.
- Department of Law – The Department of Law is located in the South Campus of the University of North Bengal and has an independent building of its own with a sprawling and exclusive campus.
- Department of Library and Information Science – The Department of Library and Information Science was setup in the year 1990-91. It offers B.Sc. and M.Sc. in Library and Information Science.
- Department of Lifelong Learning and Extension – It offers courses in Lifelong Learning and Extension.
- Department of Management – The Department of Management was established on 11th April, 2003. The University of North Bengal conducts a full-time Master of Business Administration (MBA) Programme
- Department of Mass Communication – The department conducts visit to the AIR at Kursiong, Doordarshan Kendra at Fulbari, Jalpaiguri and Siliguri based FM stations like RED FM, Radio Misty etc every year. It offers M.A. in Mass Communication.
- Department of Nepali – Nepali department was established as a full fledged department in 1977, under North Bengal University. It offers M.A., M.Phil. and PhD programmes.
- Department of Philosophy – The Department of Philosophy, University of North Bengal has been awarded Special Assistance by UGC. It offers M.A., M.Phil. and Ph.D. programmes.
- Department of Political Science – The Department of Political Science is one of the oldest Departments with which North Bengal University began to cater to the needs of higher education in North Bengal and Sikkim since 1962. The Department provides for admission of M Phil and PhD students to the Departments.
- Department of Sanskrit (At NBU Jalpaiguri Campus) – It offers M.A., M.Phil. and Ph.D. programmes.
- Department of Sociology – The present Department of Sociology was established as a combined Department of Sociology and Social Anthropology by the University of North Bengal in 1976.
- Department of Strategic & Area Studies (Under CHS.) – It was established on December 11, 1978.
- MA in Public Administration and Governance (MPG)
NBU Courses Offered
North Bengal University offers PG, PG Diploma, M.Phil. and Ph.D. courses in different disciplines under the faculty of Science, Arts, Commerce and Law.
NBU Self Finance Courses
University of North Bengal offers Self Finance courses also for the students. The list of these Self Finance courses is given below.
- Master in Business Administration
- Postgraduate Diploma in Tea Management
- Postgraduate Diploma in Marketing Management
- Postgraduate Diploma in Environmental Law
- Postgraduate Diploma in Information Technology
- Postgraduate Diploma in Disaster Management
- Diploma in French Language
- Postgraduate Diploma in Rural Development & Extension Programmes
- Postgraduate Diploma in Mass Communication & Video Production
- P.G. Diploma in Remote Sensing & GIS
NBU Fee Structure
The University has different fee structure for various courses. Check out the fee structure for M.Phil. and Ph.D. courses for the academic year 2019 from the following pdf.
NBU Affiliated Colleges
The University has a total of 64 District-wise affiliated colleges. There are 30 colleges affiliated to NBU in Darjeeling district, 16 colleges in Jalpaiguri, 04 in Cooch Behar district, 12 in Alipurduar and 02 colleges affiliated to NBU in Uttar Dinajpur district. Check out the list of District-wise colleges affiliated to North Bengal University.
- Darjeeling Govt. College
- St. Joseph’s College
- South Field College
- Sree R.K. B.T. College
- Salesian College, Sonada
- Sonada Degree College
- Kurseong College
- Kalimpong College
- Siliguri College
- Siliguri College of Commerce
- Siliguri Mahila Mahavidyalaya
- Kalipada Ghosh Tarai Mahavidyalaya
- Siliguri B.Ed. College
- Bijanbari Degree College
- Surya Sen Mahavidyalaya
- Cluny Women’s College
- Mirik Degree College
- Gyan Jyoti College
- Ghoom – Jorebunglow Degree College
- Nakshalbari College
- Munshi Premchand Mahavidyalaya
- Vidyasagar College of Education
- Indian Institute of Legal Studies (IILS)
- Salesian College (Siliguri Campus)
- A.P.C. Roy Govt. College
- Pragati College of Education
- Govt. General Degree College: Gorubathan
- Govt. General Degree College : Pedong
- Trinity B.Ed. College
- North Bengal St. Xavier’s College (Siliguri Campus)
- Ananda Chandra College
- Ananda Chandra College of Commerce
- P.D. Women’s College
- A.C. Training College
- Parimal Mitra Smriti Mahavidyalaya
- Jalpaiguri Law College
- Maynaguri College
- North Bengal St. Xavier’s College
- Model B.P.Ed. College
- Rajganj College
- Dhupguri Girls’ College
- Dhupguri College of Education
- N.B.S. College of Education
- Manoranjan Saha Memorial B.Ed. College
- Sukanta Mahavidyalaya
- Banarhat Kartik Oraon Hindi Government College
Cooch Behar District
- University B.T. & Evening College
- Cooch Behar B.Ed. Training College
- Kabiguru Rabindranath College of Education
- Uttarayan College of Education
- Alipurduar College
- Vivekananda College
- Falakata College
- Birpara College
- Sahid Kshudiram Mahavidyalaya
- Nani Bhattacharya Smarak Mahavidyalaya
- Alipurduar Mahila Mahavidyalaya
- Samuktala Sidhu Kanhu College
- Lilabati Mahavidyalaya
- Alipurduar B.Ed. Training College
- Pijushkanti Mukherjee Mahavidyalaya
- Eastern Dooars B.Ed. Training College
Uttar Dinajpur District
- Islampur College
- Chopra Kamala Paul Smriti Mahavidyalaya
North Bengal University has 09 centres under the Faculty of Science and 07 centres under the Faculty of Arts, Commerce and Law. The list of these courses offered is given below.
Centre Under Faculty of Science
- Bioinformatics Facility – The NBU Bioinformatics Facility was established in November 2006. the centre has established itself as premier bioinformatics research institute in eastern India.
- Computer Centre – The Computer Centre, University of North Bengal, the leading Central Facility of this University, established in April 1983. Since May 28, 2001 it has been functioning under the independent Head from the Computer Centre, NBU.
- Center for Climate Change
- Centre for Floriculture & Agro-business Management (CFABM) – This centre performs activities such as Skill development of Farmers in Floriculture including field– based practical training, R & D, Floriculture Nursery and Plantation, Computer-aided fully automated Greenhouse, Consultancy and Marketing of produce.
- Centre for Remote Sensing Applications (CRSA)
- Central Major Equipment Facilities (CMEF)
- High Energy & Cosmic Ray Research Centre (HECRRC) – The Centre has been established in 1991 jointly by the University Grants Commission (UGC). The Centre has expertise on cosmic rays and Monte Carlo Simulation study of cosmic ray air shower which is globally recognized by the experts in the field.
- IUCCA Reference Centre
- University Science and Instrumentation Centre(USIC) – University Science Instrumentation Centre (USIC) was established in the year 1978. The centre also provides computer maintenance support to various academic and non-academic departments of this University.
Centre Under Faculty of Arts, Commerce and Law
- Centre for Ambedkar Studies (CAS)
- Centre for Budhist Studies (CBS)
- Centre for Development Studies (CDS)
- Centre for Gandhian Studies (CGS)
- Centre for Himalayan Studies (CHS)
- Centre for Studies in Local Languages & Culture (CLLC)
- Centre for Women’s Studies (CWS)
The University provides various facilities for the students, staff and guests. The list for the same is given below.
- Health Centre
- Computer Centre
- University Press
- AKM Museum
- Guest House
- Anti Ragging Cell
NBU Contact Details
Name: University of North Bengal
Location: Raja Rammohunpur, P.O. – NBU, Darjeeling, West Bengal, India – 734013
Phone No.: +91 0353-2776331/2699008
Fax: (0353) 2776313, 2699001
E-mail: [email protected]
Official Website: www.nbu.ac.in