Osmania University (OU) is a public state university, came into existence in 1918. It is located in Hyderabad, India and was named after the seventh and last Nizam of Hyderabad, Nawab Mir Osman Ali Khan. The University offers various Under Graduate, Post Graduate, M.Phil., Ph.D. and PG Diploma programs under the 12 faculties namely Arts, Social Science, Commerce, Science, Oriental Languages, Management, Education, Engineering, Technology, Law and Informatics, Pharmacy. There are various course-wise affiliated colleges of the University. OU also has five constituent colleges and eight campus colleges with 53 departments. Check out the page for Osmania University (OU).
Osmania University (OU)
It is the third oldest University in southern India, and the first to be established in the erstwhile princely State of Hyderabad. It is the first Indian University to have Urdu as a medium of instruction. Have a quick look at Osmania University (OU) from the table given below:
|Location||Telangana, Hyderabad, India|
|Courses Offered||Under Graduate, Post Graduate, M.Phil., Ph.D. and PG Diploma programmes|
OU Admission Process
Admission in Osmania University is based on marks obtained in the entrance examination conducted by the University. Osmania University conducts Common Post Graduate Entrance Tests (CPGET) to various PG and PG Diploma courses in the first/second week of June and after evaluation declares the results along with a rank wise merit list. Application forms are made available online at the official website.
Interested students are advised to fill and submit the application form on or before the last date. The admission to PG and PG Diploma courses offered by various University constituent and affiliated colleges will be made through a centralized counseling process. The counseling process, in general, commences during the last week of June / first week of July every year.
OU Academic Calendar
The University provides an academic calendar for various courses on the official website. Check out the academic calendar of MBA 5 year integrated program of I, II, III, IV & V years of I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX & X Semesters for the Academic year 2019-2020 from the following pdf.
The concept of faculty was introduced in Osmania University in the year 1964. Osmania University offers a total of 12 different faculties and is composed of different departments or disciplines, to offer courses in various subjects. The list of these faculties is given below.
- Faculty of Arts – The Faculty of Arts was established in the year 1964 and composed of 15 Departments presently offering 03 UG courses (15 Combinations), 18 PG Courses, 18 M.Phil., and Ph. D., Programs.
- Faculty of Social Sciences – The Faculty of Social Sciences was carved out of the Faculty of Arts in the year 1964 and composed of 07 Departments presently offering 03 UG courses (15 Combinations), 08 PG Courses, 08 M.Phil., and Ph. D., Programs.
- Faculty of Science – The Faculty of Science was established in the year 1964 and composed of 14 Departments presently offering 03 UG courses (15 Combinations), 18 PG Courses, 01 M.Phil., and 15 Ph. D., Programs.
- Faculty of Engineering – The Faculty of Engineering was established in the year 1964 and composed of 6 Departments presently offering 08 UG courses, 18 PG Courses, and 06 Ph. D., Programs with 30 Specializations.
- Faculty of Education – The Faculty of Education was established in the year 1964 and composed of 3 Departments presently offering 03 UG courses, 03 PG Courses, 03 M.Phil., and Ph. D., Programs.
- Faculty of Law – The Faculty of Law was established in the year 1964 and composed of 1 Departments presently offering 03 UG courses, 09 PG Courses and Ph. D., Programs.
- Faculty of Technology – The Faculty of Technology was established in the year 1964 and composed of 1 Department presently offering 08 UG courses, 03 PG Courses (6 Specializations), and 03 Ph. D Programs (12 Specializations).
- Faculty of Commerce – The Faculty of Commerce was established in the year 1964 and composed of 03 Departments presently offering 03 UG courses, 03 PG Courses, 03 M.Phil., and Ph. D. Programs.
- Faculty of Management – The Faculty of Management was established in the year 1997 and composed of 1 Department presently offering 02 UG courses, 04 PG Courses, and Ph. D. Programs.
- Faculty of Informatics – The Faculty of Informatics was established in the year 1999 and composed of 1 Department presently offering 02 UG courses, 02 PG Courses, and Ph. D. Programs.
- Faculty of Oriental Languages – The Faculty of Oriental Languages was established in the year 1995 and composed of 1 Department presently offering 01 UG course (6 Combinations), 03 PG Courses, 03 M.Phil., and Ph. D. Programs.
- Faculty of Pharmacy – The Faculty of Pharmacy was established in the year 2010 and composed of 01 Department presently offering 02 PG courses and a Ph.D. Programme.
OU Courses Offered
Osmania University offers various Under Graduate, Post Graduate, M.Phil., Ph.D. and PG Diploma programs under the faculty of Arts, Social Science, Commerce, Science, Oriental Languages, Management, Education, Engineering, Technology, Law and Informatics. The link to check the courses offered in the University is given below.
|Programmes Name||Courses Offered|
|Post Graduate||Click Here|
|PG Diploma||Click Here|
Click Here to check the Faculty-wise course details and eligibility criteria.
OU Affiliated Colleges
Osmania University has course-wise affiliated colleges. There are various numbers of affiliated B.Ed/ B.P.Ed/ M.Ed/ Special Courses, MBA/MCA, PG, Pharmacy, Engineering, Hotel Management, Law, Oriental and PG Diploma colleges. The list of these affiliated colleges of OU is mentioned below.
|List of OU Affiliated Colleges||Link|
|List of B.Ed/ B.P.Ed/ M.Ed /Special Courses Colleges||View|
|List of Affiliated MBA/MCA Colleges||View|
|List of Affiliated PG Colleges||View|
|List of Affiliated Pharmacy Colleges||View|
|List of Affiliated Engineering Colleges||View|
|List of Hotel Management Colleges||View|
|List of Law Colleges||View|
|List of Oriental Colleges||View|
|List of PG Diploma Colleges||View|
OU Constituent Colleges
There are following five constituent colleges of Osmania University. The list of these constituent colleges is given below.
- University College for Women – The University College for Women was established in the year 1924. It is one of the oldest and largest institutions in Telangana, which caters to women’s education. The College has Under Graduate courses in the faculties of Arts, Social Sciences, Commerce and Science and Post-Graduate courses in thirteen departments.
- Nizam College – One of the premier colleges within the fold of Osmania University, Nizam College celebrated its centenary in 1987. The College offers both the Under Graduate as well as Post-Graduate courses in the Faculties of Arts and Social Sciences, Science, and Commerce. At present, the College has 29 teaching departments. In addition to these courses, several students are pursuing their Doctoral and Post-Doctoral programmes.
- University College of Science, Saifabad – The College was established in 1951 in the prime locality at the foothills of Banjara Hills. The College gradually evolved into a Post-Graduate center offering courses al various levels of university education.
- University PG College, Secunderabad – Arts and Science College, Secunderabad, a constituent college of Osmania University, was started in 1947. The College was renamed in 1987 as Post Graduate College with starting of Post-Graduate courses. The College offers both Under Graduate and Post-Graduate course
- PG College of Law Basheerbagh – The College was established in the year 1993 to impart instruction in physical education leading to the award of Master’s Degree in Physical Education.
OU Campus Colleges
The University Colleges, also known as Campus Colleges are located within the University Campus. These are about eight such colleges with 53 departments. The list of these OU Campus Colleges is given below.
- University College of Arts & Social Sciences – The Art College was inaugurated on August 28, 1919. Under Graduate courses in Arts and Commerce were discontinued from this college in 1973 and Arts college assumed the status of a full-fledged postgraduate college exclusively for postgraduate studies, diploma courses, and research studies in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences.
- University College of Science – The University College of Science was established in 1918 initially with four Departments. Presently the College has 14 regular departments and 4 self-financing courses. 2000 students are pursuing their PG courses in different subjects. The University College of Science is offering a Ph.D. program in 16 subjects.
- University College of Law – The teaching of Law was in existence even before Osmania University came into existence in the year 1918. In the year 1923, the ‘Law Class’ and “Judicial Test” classes were abolished and Law Department was established in the Osmania University.
- University College of Commerce and Business Management – The University College of Commerce and Business Management is one of the prime colleges in the Osmania University, located on the main campus.
- University College of Education – The University College of Education was established on April 26, 1917.
- University College of Engineering – The University College of Engineering (UCE) has the distinction of being the oldest and the biggest among the Engineering Colleges of the State of Andhra Pradesh. Established in the year 1929, eleven years after the formation of Osmania University, it was the 6th Engineering College to be established in the whole of British India. The College offers four-year engineering degree courses leading to the award of Bachelor of Engineering (B.E.) in Biomedical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Electronics and Communications Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. The College also offers courses leading to Master of Computer.
- University College of Technology – The University College of Technology is one of the premier and the oldest colleges offering Chemical Engineering and Chemical Technology education in the country. It is one of the premier institutions in the state established in the year 1969, which offers courses both at UG and PG levels including Ph.D. programs.
- University College of Physical Education – The University College of Physical Education, Osmania University was established in the year 1993. Initially, it was named as PG College of Physical Education. The College started with the sole aim of imparting instructions in Physical Education leading to the award of Master’s Degree in Physical Education (M.P.Ed.).
OU provides various facilities for the students, staff and faculty. The list of these facilities is given below.
- Publications & Press – The Department of Publication and Press, O.U. is a service unit which caters to the needs of the printing requirements of various offices and colleges of the University and also undertakes job orders from other institutions such as Kakatiya, Telangana, Palampur, and Mahatma Gandhi Universities, etc.
- Infrastructure – The office of the Infrastructure was established in 1999 to fill the gap between the Campus and Constituent Colleges and various other departments of the University.
- Guest House – The Guest House is situated behind the University’s Main Library building. It has furnished single and double rooms for accommodating guests of the University. Three spacious dining halls and a very well furnished waiting hall make the Guest House a pleasant place to stay. Another attraction of the Guest House is the cuisine that is served which is typically Mughlai (traditional). Guests who have stayed at this Guest House, carry fond memories of the food served.
- Health Centre – The Health Centre offers free medical treatment to students, staff and their families. There are specialists attached to the Centre who offer expert medical advice. The Health Centre situated in the University’s main campus is located near the B-Hostel building.
- Bank and Post Office – The State Bank of Hyderabad, Osmania University Branch, is housed on the ground floor of the Arts College building. Osmania University post office is located towards the north of the Arts College.
- Faculty Club – Faculty Club was established in 1980. Almost all the faculty members of the University are on its rolls and participate in the events held at the club.
- Seminar Halls – The auditorium was built in the early 70s. The auditorium has been a regular venue for national and international seminars/lectures and many Nobel Laureates, who visited, gave lectures in this auditorium.
- Horticulture and University Gardens – The University has established Landscape Garden, Project Green Belt, and Deer Park on the campus.
- University Library – The library was established in the year 1918 along with the University. The Library holds nearly 500,000 books and over 6000 manuscripts including rare palm leave manuscripts. The University Library coordinates a library system, which links the libraries in all the campus and constituent college libraries.
- Competitive Examination Coaching Centre
- English Language Training Centre
- Hostels and Messes
- National Service Scheme (NSS)
OU Contact Details
Name: Osmania University
Location: Telangana, Hyderabad, India – 500007
Phone No.: +91-40-27682363, +91-40-27090020
E-mail: [email protected]
Official Website: www.osmania.ac.in