Punjab Engineering College University of Technology was originally established as Mugalpura Engineering College at Lahore (now in Pakistan) on November 9, 1921. Punjab Engineering College offers 8 Undergraduate B.Tech. programmes and 14 Postgraduate M.Tech. programmes in various disciplines of engineering and technology. After becoming University, the institute has also started PhD programme in various disciplines of engineering, science, management, humanities and social sciences. There are 9 academic departments and 2 centers of excellence. Check out the page for Punjab Engineering College.
Punjab Engineering College (PEC)
Punjab Engineering College offers various facilities like library, hostels, guest house, medical facilities, sports, etc. The University also offers scholarship and placement facilities for the students. PEC also has five University centres. Have a quick look at Punjab Engineering College (PEC) from the table given below:
|Name||Punjab Engineering College|
|Established||9 Nov 1921|
|Location||Chandigarh, Punjab, India|
|Courses||UG, PG and Ph.D. Programmes|
- Time Table
- Admit Card
PEC Admission Process
Admission in Punjab Engineering College for Under Graduate (B.Tech.) and Post Graduate (M.Tech.) programmes are made through national level examinations namely JEE (Main) and GATE respectively. For Self-supporting programmes, admission is regulated through GATE/ Test conducted by respective departments only. A few seats in each branch of engineering are available for sponsored candidates also.
Admission to the PhD programme is made on the basis of interview or written test (GATE/ NET syllabus) or both as determined by PhD. The admission to the Ph.D. programme will take place once a year. Application forms for admission are made available online at the official website. Interested students are advised to fill and submit the application form along with requisite fee on or before the last date.
The University also provides scholarship facility for the students. The list of four scholarship schemes is given below.
- National Scholarship Portal – It is the scholarship portal.
- Scholarship Programme for Diaspora Children – This scholarship programme enables children of Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) and Non-Resident Indians (NRIs), to pursue Under Graduate courses in India Universities/ Institutes in different fields (except medical and related courses) both professional and non-professional in Engineering/Technology, Humanities/Liberal Arts, Commerce, Management, Journalism, Hotel Management, Agriculture/Animal husbandry etc. Total number of scholarships are 150. Scholarships for NRIs & PIOs are 100 and scholarships for CIWG is 50.
- Scholarship Notice for Different Minority Communities – Ministry of Minority Affairs provides an opportunity to the students belonging to different Minority Communities like Jain, Buddhist, Sikh, Parsis, Muslim and Christian.
- Top Class Scheme for SC Candidates – The University also provides scholarship scheme for SC candidates.
Punjab Engineering College has 09 teaching departments. These University teaching departments offers various courses. The list of these departments is given below.
- Department of Aerospace Engineering – This department was started in the year 1962. The Department of Aerospace Engineering has over the years adapted and improved with the fast pace of technology.
- Department of Applied Sciences – The department offers core courses in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Engineering Geology and Humanities/Management. The department provides facilities for research leading to the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in the fields of Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Commerce, Finance & Management and Engineering Geology.
- Department of Civil Engineering – The Department of Civil Engineering is excellently suited to meet the ever-changing requirements of engineers with courses that combine the study of management, business skills and computers with engineering.
- Department of Computer Science & Engineering – The department has excellent computing facilities which include Pentium based computer systems, scanners, servers, multimedia kits, robotics lab ,Indy Graphic workstation etc.
- Department of Electrical Engineering – The Department of Electrical Engineering Department (EE), offers Undergraduate, Masters and Doctoral programs in Electrical Engineering. The department currently has 16 faculty members with expertise in diverse areas including Power Systems, Renewable Energy, Power Electronics, Robotics, Control Systems, Signal Processing, Mechatronics, Instrumentation to name a few. The department has supporting teaching and research laboratories.
- Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering – The Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering formerly known as Department of Electronics & Electrical Communication Engineering was established in the year 1963. It offers B.Tech. degree course in of Electronics and Communication Engineering, M.Tech. in Electronics and M.Tech. Electronics (VLSI Design) are being run in this department. The department also offers full time and part-time Ph.D. degree course.
- Department of Mechanical Engineering – Besides the Bachelor degree, Department offer Master and Ph.D. programme also. Under Ph.D. programme at the department, the major research areas include Advanced /non-traditional machining processes, Micro-manufacturing, CAD/CAM, MEMS, Soft computing in Design and Manufacturing, Composites, Bio-materials, Modelling and Computation in heat transfer, Internal combustion engines, Nanofluids, Mechanical Vibration and so on.
- Department of Materials & Metallurgical Engineering – The Department of Materials and Metallurgical Engineering, earlier Metallurgical Engineering was established in 1963. It offers B.Tech. programme in Materials and Metallurgical Engineering, M.Tech. programme in Industrial Materials and Metallurgy and PhD programme.
- Department of Production and Industrial Engineering – The department of Production & Industrial Engineering is one of the oldest departments of production engineering in India, established in 1967. The department was renamed as Production and Industrial Engineering in 2014. At present the department offers both undergraduate and postgraduate programs in Production & Industrial Engineering.
PEC Courses Offered
PEC offers Under Graduate, Post Graduate and Ph.D. programmes. The University offers B.Tech, M.Tech and Ph.D. degree in various disciplines. The list of these courses offered is given below.
Under Graduate Programmes
|Name of the Department||Courses Offered|
|Department of Aerospace Engineering||B.Tech. in Aerospace Engineering|
|Department of Civil Engineering||B.Tech. in Civil Engineering|
|Department of Computer Science & Engineering||B.Tech. in Computer Science & Engineering|
|Department of Electrical Engineering||B.Tech. in Electrical Engineering|
|Department of Electronics & Communication Engineering||B.Tech. in Electronics & Communication Engineering|
|Department of Mechanical Engineering||B.Tech. in Mechanical Engineering|
|Department of Materials & Metallurgical Engineering||B.Tech. in Materials & Metallurgical Engineering|
|Department of Production & Industrial Engineering||B.Tech. in Production & Industrial Engineering|
Post Graduate Programmes
|Name of the Department||Courses Offered|
|Department of Civil Engineering (Transportation)||M.Tech. in Civil Engineering (Transportation)|
|Department of Civil Engineering (Water Resources)||M.Tech. in Civil Engineering (Water Resources)|
|Department of Civil Engineering (Structures)||M.Tech. in Civil Engineering (Structures)|
|Department of Computer Science & Engineering||M.Tech. in Computer Science & Engineering|
|Department of Computer Science & Engineering (Information Security)||M.Tech. in Computer Science & Engineering (Information Security)|
|Department of Environmental Engineering||M.Tech. in Environmental Engineering|
|Department of Electrical Engineering||M.Tech. in Electrical Engineering|
|Department of Mechanical Engineering||M.Tech. in Mechanical Engineering|
|Department of Electronics Engineering||M.Tech. in Electronics Engineering|
|Department of Electronics (VLSI Design)||M.Tech. in Electronics (VLSI Design)|
|Department of Materials and Metallurgical Engineering||M.Tech. in Materials and Metallurgical Engineering|
|Department of Production & Industrial Engineering||M.Tech. in Production & Industrial Engineering|
|Department of Industrial Design||M.Tech. in Industrial Design|
|Centre for Total Quality Management||M.Tech. in Total Quality Management|
|Name of the Department||Courses Offered|
|Department of Ph.D.||Ph.D. Course Work|
Punjab Engineering College has five centres in the campus provided for the students. The list for the same is given below.
- Centre of Excellence in Industrial and Product Design – The Centre of Excellence in Industrial and Product Design has been set up in 2013 by NPIU, under Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme. The Centre runs educational and training programmes performs outreach activities in collaboration with other academic institutions organisations such as PGIMER Chandigarh, IIT Mumbai, NITIE Mumbai.
- Centre of Management and Humanities (CMH) – Theis centre was established on September 01, 2016 by carving out a section of academics pertaining to Management and Humanities from the Department of Applied Sciences. The Centre offers courses such as Ethics and Self Awareness, Communication Skills (Basic and Advanced), Economics, Sociology, Psychology and French to B. Tech 1st & 2nd year students. The CMH also offers Communication and Soft Skills (CASS) to M. Tech students. In addition, PhD course is also available in different domains of these disciplines.
- Centre for Total Quality Management and ZED – Centre for Total Quality Management & Zero Effect Zero Defect (TQM & ZED) has been set up in 2015. In addition to Masters Program, the Centre also offers certification courses in Lean Management & Six Sigma such as Yellow Belt, Green Belt and Black Belt.
- Cyber Security Research Centre – The Cyber Security Research Centre has been established at PEC in collaboration with Chandigarh Administration and NASSCOM. This centre has been established with the primary focus to conduct applied Research & Development on cyber threats and countermeasures, secure multi-level information sharing, resilient command and control network architectures, social media and data analytics.
- Kalpana Chawla Chair of Geospatial Technology (KCC GT) – Ministry of Railways has established Kalpana Chawla Chair of Geospatial Technology (KCC GT) at Punjab Engineering College (Deemed to be University) for promoting Research and Development in the areas of Geo-spatial Technology. This chair was established in the memory of Kalpana Chawla, the first Indian Women astronaut, who graduated from this institute in 1982.
The University provides Career Development & Guidance Centre for the students. This centre offers an all-round career solution to the students. Centre guides the students to decide and pursue their dream careers in different sectors be it engineering, IT, Analytics, Consulting, research and development, Operations etc. The whole placement process is organised and executed by this centre. It has kept a close liaison with many companies in the country.
- The Placement Office sends invitations to companies/ organizations along with relevant information.
- The company/ organization reverts with filled JAF containing information about company/organization, recruitment procedure, Job description, package (CTC) offered, place of posting , allowances & other bonuses etc.
- Slot for visit of the company/ organization for recruitment is decided upon a mutual agreement.
- If the company/ organization is interested in conducting a pre-placement talk (PPT) they can send a request along with the preferred dates.
- The JAF is made available online to the eligible students, along with any other information furnished by company/ organization.
- Interested and eligible (as per the criteria specified by the organizations) students show their willingness to appear for the recruitment process of a company by submitting their request online.
- Resumes of the students are made available before the visit of the company/ organization.
- Company/ organization visits the campus and carry out their recruitment process with the assistance of the student coordinators.
- Company/ Organization needs to provide the final list of selected students and waitlisted students (if any) at the end of recruitment process.
- Career Development & Guidance Centre coordinates the signing of offer letters by the students, so that they join company/ organization at the earliest.
The University provides various facilities for the students, staffs, and guests. The list for the same is given below.
- Computer Center – Computer Centre is a central place for campus-wide networking and Internet connectivity. The Computer centre, at present consists of the network infrastructure, like routers, firewall, Unified threat management (UTM), manageable layer 2, layer 3 switches, and PEC web-identity. This centre also houses cluster of Windows and Linux based servers for mailing, Internet bandwidth management.
- Central Library – The central library, PEC (DU), is housed in an area of about 27000 sq. feet and organized into various sections, which are manned by professionally qualified staff. To keep its readers abreast with the latest developments in Engineering & Technology, the library is subscribing to 72 foreign and 18 indian technical journals in the print form. The Central Library is also having Multimedia Section to make use of most popular mode of education, i.e., Electronic Media with the help of Computer, LCD projector, TV, VCR, OHP, Slide projector, CD, Floppy, etc.
- Hostels – There are four hostels for boys namely Shivalik (1st Year students), Himalaya (2nd Year and 3rd Year students), Kurukshetra (Final Year) students, and Aravali (M.E. students) and two hostels for girls named Kalpana Chawla hostel (B.E. girls) and Vindhya (M.E. girls). Each hostel is self-contained with amenities such as a reading room, indoor games room, lounge and dining hall, and a mess. The discipline in the hostel is looked by the proctor of the college. Hostel accommodation will be provided for all students and residence in the hostels is obligatory.
- Medical Facilities – The college has its own dispensary where the medical facilities exist for the students and staff members. A duly-qualified staff and proper stock of medicines have been ensured by the college authorities. In addition to the day-to-day attendance to ailments, special attention is paid to the health of the students. All the students are medically examined at least once a year by the College Medical Officer and Standard Physico-Medical Record of such students maintained.
- Sports – The spacious grounds of the institute are laid out into playfields for Cricket, Hockey, Football, Basketball, Volleyball, Lawn Tennis and Badminton etc. Facilities have also been provided for Yoga, Weightlifting, Wrestling and Kabaddi. A Gymnasium hall equipped with all modern scientific machines like Multi-exerciser, a swimming pool and two Squash Courts are available for the use of students.
- Clubs Functioning in the College premises – For the all round development of the student , the college provides a host of various students activities . These activities range from sports , personal-hobbies to technical interests. The list of various official clubs of the college are National Cadet Corps (N.C.C.), National Service Schemes (N.S.S.) and Students Clubs (Art and Photography Club, Robotics Club, Dramatics Club, Speakers Association & Study Circle (SAASC), Rotaract Club, etc. ).
- Fitness Centre – This centre have facilities like multi gym 16 stations, Seated Alternate Leg Press Machine, Twin Arm Pulley, Seated Rowing, Cross Over Pulley, Vibrator Machine Belt Motorised, etc.
- Shopping Centre – The shopping Centre of the Institute provides a general merchant shop, Stationary shops, Eateries, Hairdresser, Computerized Post Office and branches of State Bank of India and Punjab National Bank with ATM facilities.
PEC Contact Details
Name: Punjab Engineering College
Location: Sector 12, Chandigarh, Punjab, India – 160012
E-mail: [email protected]
Official Website: www.pec.ac.in
Leave a Reply