Sambalpur University was started fuctioning from January 01, 1967 and the university was inaugurated on January 04, 1967. It is located in Sambalpur, Odisha, India. The University offers Under Graduate, Post Graduate, M.Phil., Ph.D., Certificate and PG Diploma programmes. Sambalpur University also offers a total of 28 teaching departments in the University campus. There are a total of 196 colleges affiliated by the Sambalpur University. The Directorate of Distance and Continuing Education has started in the year 1998 with only on-campus courses in collaboration with P.G. Departments of Sambalpur University. Check out the page for Sambalpur University.
The PG departments of Chemistry, Life Sciences, History, Economics, Library & Information Sciences and Mathematics have been conferred Autonomous Status by the University. The territorial jurisdiction of the University covers 10 districts of the state of Odisha namely Sambalpur, Sundargarh, Jharsuguda, Deogarh, Bargarh, Bolangir, Subarnapur, Nawapara, Kalahandi, Boudh and Athamallik Sub-Division of Angul District. Have a quick look at Sambalpur University from the table given below:
|Established||04 Jan 1967|
|Location||Sambalpur, Odisha, India|
|Courses Offered||UG, PG, M.Phil., Ph.D., PG Diploma, Certificate programmes|
Sambalpur University Admission Process
Admission in Sambalpur University is based on the marks obtained in the Entrance Examination conducted by the University. Application forms for admission are made available online at the official website. Interested students are advised to fill and submit the application form on or before the last date. Students also have to pay the admission fees. Before applying for admission, students must check the eligibility criteria for every course.
Sambalpur University Departments
The University offers 28 teaching departments. The list of these University teaching Departments is given below.
- Department of Anthropology – The department was initially established as a joint Department of Anthropology and Sociology in the year 1976. The joint department got bifurcated into two separate departments in the year 1991. Besides, the teaching program in M.A/M.Sc. in Anthropology, the Department of Anthropology has also M.Phil and Ph.D. programmes.
- Department of Biotechnology and Bioinformatics – This department was established in the year 2016. The M.Sc Biotechnology and M.Sc Bioinformatics were offering in a self-financing mode in the School of Life Sciences sine 2002 and 2006, respectively.
- Department of Business Administration – The Post Graduate Department of Business Administration, Sambalpur University started its voyage for excellence in the year 1989.
- Centre for Food Science & Technology (FST & FS) – Sambalpur University established as Center for Food Science & Technology in 2010 and turned into independent P.G. Department of Food Science Technology and Nutrition in the year 2018.
- Department of Chemistry – The School of Chemistry a pioneered Department in teaching and research in chemistry in Sambalpur University started functioning from November, 1969 at VSSUT (formerly University College of Engineering), Burla, later shifted to Jyoti Vihar campus in 1973.
- Department of Computer Science & Application – The Department of Computer Science and Application was formed in the year 1988 during the 7th Five year plan period having an intake capacity of 30 students.
- Department of Earth Science – The Department has a diverse group of faculty with expertise in all areas of geology. We offer M.Sc. in Applied Geology, M.Tech. in Geospatial Technology, M.Phil. in Applied Geology, Ph.D. in both Geology and Remote Sensing & GIS. We also offer PG Diploma in Remote Sensing & GIS.
- Department of Economics – The Post-Graduate Department of Economics of the Sambalpur University started functioning since 1971 for teaching and research in Economics. The department offers M.A., M.Phil, and Ph.D. programs in Economics and MBA in Finance.
- Department of English – This department was established in the year 1969. Over the years the Postgraduate Department of English, Sambalpur University, has emerged as a well-known center for English Studies in Odisha.It has also made its mark at the national level. It has been one of the few English departments in the country to introduce a full paper on Computer Application in Literary Studies at the postgraduate level.
- Department of Environmental Science – The Department of Environmental Sciences in Sambalpur University was approved by the University Grants Commission during the seventh plan period and was established in 1989. The Department started M.Phil. Program from the academic session 1990-1991 and M.Sc. program from the session 1994-95. At present, the student intake is ten at M.Sc. level and six at M.Phil. level.
- Department of Hindi – The Department of Hindi was established in 2010 has been conducting regular M.A. programme. Keeping in mind the boarder concept of Hindi literature and language.
- Department of History – The P.G. Department of History since its inception in 1969 has grown to be one of the largest Departments of Humanities in Sambalpur University.
- Department of Home Science – The Department of Home Science is one of the premier Department established under Sambalpur University in the year 1976.
- Department of Law – This department was established in the year 1986.
- Department of Library & Information Science -The Department is one of the premier centers of Library & Information Science education in the Country. Established in the year 1976.
- Department of Life Science – School of Life Sciences, Sambalpur University is a premier institute of the state which is known nationally and internationally for its study and research program. Students passing from the School with their M. Sc., M. Phil or Ph. D. degree are now placed in different leading academic and research institutes all over the world.
- M. Tech. in Geo-Spatial Technology – The 2-year degree course M.Tech in Geospatial Technology was introduced in the Department of Earth Sciences in 2012.
- Master in Performing Arts – This department was established in the year 2010. The Department is the only institution in the Western Odisha imparting teaching and research in Performing Arts.
- Department of Mathematics – The Department of Mathematics was established in 1969. The department offers courses in M.A./M.Sc., M.Phil. and Ph.D.
- Department of Odia – The Department of Odia was started in the year 1968 as per the plan proposal approved by the UGC and was oriented for special emphasis on Folklore, Fiction, Drama, Modern poetry with special studies on Gangadhar Meher.
- Department of Physics – The School of Physics (earlier known as Post Graduate Department of Physics) is one of the first Departments established under Sambalpur University.
- Department of Political Science – The Department of Political Science & Public Administration is one of the first and the oldest departments of Sambalpur University, established in 1967. It offers courses at the M.A. & M. Phil levels at par with advanced universities of India.
- Department of Social Work – Post-Graduate Department of Social Work of Sambalpur University aims at building up a team of students who are ready to shoulder up responsibility in the field of social work.
- Department of Sociology – Being carved out of the department of Anthropology & Sociology as an independent entity in 1991, the department is not only imparting updated model course curriculum as prescribed by UGC, JRF/NET in the classroom but make the student learn in the community through Field Work.
- Department of Statistics – The Department of Statistics was established in the year 1976. It offers M.A./M.Sc., M.Phil. & PhD Programmes in Statistics.
- Department of Education
- Department of Nano Research Centre
- Department of Sanskrit
Sambalpur University Courses Offered
Sambalpur University offers various Under Graduate, Post Graduate, M.Phil., Ph.D. and other courses. The list of these courses offered is given below in the following table.
|Programme Name||Courses Offered|
|Under Graduate||Regular Courses
|Post Graduate||Regular Courses
Sambalpur University Affiliated Colleges
Sambalpur University has a total of 196 affiliated colleges. The list of these affiliated colleges is given below in the following pdf.
Sambalpur University Facilities
The University provides various facilities for the students. The list for the same is given below.
- Central Library
- Health Centre
- Internet/ Wi-Fi Facility
Sambalpur University Contact Details
Name: Sambalpur University
Location: Jyoti Vihar, Burla, Sambalpur, Odisha, India – 768019
Phone No.: +91-663-2430157
Official Website: www.suniv.ac.in