Berhampur University came into existence on January 02, 1967. It is located in Berhampur, Odisha, India. The University offers Regular, Self-Financing and Diploma programmes. BU Odisha also offers 21 PG departments under the faculty of Science, Humanities and Business Studies. There are a total of 24 Institutions accredited by the Berhampur University. Berhampur University also has nine centres in the University campus. Check out the page for Berhampur University.
Berhampur University has a wide area under its jurisdiction comprising the districts of Ganjam, Gajapati, Koraput, Rayagada, Nowrangapur, Malkangiri, Kandhamal and Boudh. Eleven Government colleges, sixty-two in Government colleges, and twenty-six professional technical colleges are affiliated to the University. Have a quick look at Berhampur University from the table given below:
|Established||02 Jan 1967|
|Location||Berhampur, Odisha, India|
|Courses Offered||Regular, Self-Financing and Diploma Programmes|
Berhampur University Admission Process
Admission in Berhampur University is done through the marks obtained in the admission test or Entrance test to be conducted by the Berhampur University. Application forms are made available online on the official website. Students interested to take admission into various courses are required to submit their applications on or before the last date and appear for the Admission Test as per schedule. Admission into MCA and MBA courses will be only through the Odisha Joint Entrance Examination (OJEE).
Berhampur University PG Departments
BU Odisha offers 21 PG departments under the faculty of Science, Humanities and Business Studies. The list of these PG departments is given below in the table.
|Name of the Faculty||Name of the Departments|
|Faculty of Science||Department of Botany|
Department of Chemistry
Department of Computer Science
Department of Electronic Science
Department of Marine Science
Department of Mathematics
Department of Pharmacy
Department of Physics
Department of Zoology
|Faculty of Humanities||Department of Economics|
Department of History
Department of Odia
Department of English
Department of Home Science
Department of IR & PM
Department of Journalism & Mass Communication
Department of Law
Department of Linguistics
Department of Political Science
School of Education
|Faculty of Business Studies||Department of Business Administration|
Department of Commerce
Berhampur University Courses Offered
Berhampur University offers Regular, Self-Financing and Diploma programmes for the students. Check out the list of these courses offered from the table given below.
|Programme Name||Courses Offered|
Master of Business Administration (MBA)
Berhampur University Accredited Institutions
The University has a total of 24 accredited Institutions. The list of these accredited Institutions is given below.
- Adivasi College
- Aska Science College
- Binayak Acharya College
- Chikiti Mahavidyalaya
- Government Autonomous College (Formerly DAV College)
- Gandhi Institute of Computer Studies
- Gandhi Institute of Management Studies
- Vikram Deb (Autonomous) College
- Womens College
- Sri Bharata Pati Mahavidyalaya
- Shri Krushna Chandra Gajapati Autonomous College
- Savitri Women’s College
- Science College
- Shashi Bhushan Rath Government Autonomous Women’s College
- Samanta Chandrasekhar Institute of Technology and Management
- Ram Chandra Mardharaj Science College
- Rayagada Autonomous College
- Peoples College
- Nuvapada Sri Balaji Mahavidyalaya
- Nowrangpur College
- Kabi Samrat Upendra Bhanja College
- Gunupur College
- Government Autonomous College
- Government Science College
Berhampur University Centres
Berhampur University has nine centres in the University campus. The list for the same is given below.
- Biju Pattanaik Computer Centre – Biju Patnaik Computer Centre (BPCC) plays a pivotal role in the University so far as all ICT related activities are concerned. It was established in 1986 as the hub to provide Internet connectivity to different buildings in the campus through a Campus-wide LAN.
- Canadian Studies Centre – The Centre for Canadian Studies, Berhampur University was established in 1993 under the Canadian Studies Development Programme of the Department of External Affairs, Government of Canada through Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute (SICI), New Delhi.
- Innovation-cum-Incubation Centre – An Innovation-cum-Incubation Centre has been established. It provides platforms and mechanisms for the actors and stakeholders in the region to interact with each other and thus to foster needs/opportunities based on innovation.
- UGC Coaching Centre for SC/ST – he UGC Coaching Centre for SC, ST Minorities and OBC students (Non-Creamy layer) had its beginning in the year 2012 in this University with one Coordinator. The center offers coaching to the students under three different UGC coaching schemes (XII plan) such as UGC-NET Coaching, Competitive Examination Entrance Coaching and remedial coaching in various subjects.
- Women’s Studies Research Centre – Womens Studies Research Centre, Berhampur University was established in 1988 with a two-fold mission i.e Research and Action Program. In both the areas , Womens Studies Research Centre has excelled in the state.
- South Odisha Cultural Research Centre – The South Odisha Cultural Study Center has been functioning as an extension of SAP of the Department of Odia since March 21, 2014, vide Syndicate Resolution.
- NSS Bureau – NSS Bureau, Berhampur University was established in the year 1970-71 and governed all affiliated college under the University. In the beginning, NSS Bureau started with 300 NSS volunteers distributed in 06 colleges.
- Instrumentation Maintenance Facility Centre – The University Grants Commission has realized that universities and colleges have a sizeable pool of instruments and modern electronic hardware which will increase with time and will, therefore, need to be properly maintained for their efficient and effective use.
- Bio information Infrastructure facility Centre – The Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Govt. of India, New Delhi, has sanctioned Bioinformatics Infrastructure Facility (B.I.F) Centre to Berhampur University. Presently the Centre is established in the department. of Zoology, Berhampur University
Berhampur University Facilities
The University provides various facilities for the students, staffs and guests. The list of these facilities is mentioned below.
- Hostels – Berhampur University provides residential facilities to its students in the hostels. All the hostels are managed by the Superintendents and Assistant Superintendents along with an office assistant and a bearer. At present there are thirteen hostels inside the campus out of which Six for boys and seven for girls. All are well-furnished & well maintained. Every hostel has a common room where boarders are provided with newspapers, periodicals, and television, inverters, etc. Multi-Gyms are provided to the hostels to make all fit and healthy. Mess facility along with fresh and hygienic food is available for the boarders. All Ladies hostels are in within one boundary and provided with matrons and adequate security (7×24 hours).
- Health Care Centre – The University Health Centre was established in the year 1979 to meet the health care needs of the students and residents of the university campus. The Health Centre has facilities for providing preventive and curative Health Care both allopathic and Homeopathic treatment.
- Sports – Established in 1967, the Sports Council, Berhampur University is the largest organization in the whole of South Orissa comprising of seven districts i.e. Ganjam, Gajapati, Rayagada, Koraput, Nabarangpur, Malkangiri & Kandhamal. There are 147 affiliated colleges under the Sports Council. The University has set up the Sports Council with the purpose of conducting Inter College Tournaments, preparing and Coaching of University teams for the Inter-University Tournaments and to send teams for the East Zone/All India Inter-University Tournaments.
- Staff Quarters – Berhampur University provides residential facilities to its teaching and non-teaching employees. Amid greenery campus of the University, the quarters are made available for the staff. The quarters are well-furnished and connected by road. The quarters are provided with a water supply and electricity.
- Transport – The University has a fleet of buses for the convenience of students, teachers and employees to commute from Berhampur and Chatrapur. The transport facility is meant to ensure safety, comfort and time management for all. Those who opt for conveyance facility have to pay nominal transport fees. As of now, the University has three buses, one minibus, besides one light vehicle.
- Canteen – A central canteen for the students with a capacity of about 50 was started in the year 1980. It is managed by private firms approved by the University authority. It works throughout the week. It provides meals (vegetarian and non-vegetarian) and snacks.
- Security Office – The Security wing of Berhampur University is entrusted to provide security and safety to all campus dwellers including students, teachers, scholars, and staff members as well as to safeguard the assets of the University. It consists of a Government of Odisha with DSP Rank and assisted by one Security Advisor, one Campus supervisor, and 12 watchmen.
- Guest House – The University Guest House provides accommodation to the Guests of the University and other dignitaries of India and abroad who visit the University for different purposes. It provides the greenery view of the surroundings. It is managed by the University and provides a good catering facility with reasonable rates. Various types of rooms such as 04 Double AC, 04 Single AC, 04 Single Non-AC and 02 VIP rooms at par with national and international standards are available with total strength of 20.
- University College and High School – The University has taken steps to make education accessible to the children of campus dwellers and villages on the periphery of the University. With this motto, a Secondary School was established in the year 1978 and it was upgraded to Higher Secondary School in 1992. It has good infrastructural facilities. The School has two separate wings i.e. the Secondary Wing – from class VIII to Class X and Higher Secondary Wing includes +2 (Arts and Science). Schools are running under the University Administration. Also, there is an M.E. School from class I to VII standard run by the Government of Odisha.
- Employee’s Recreation Club – The Faculty Club is located in the heart of the campus. It provides a platform for the overall recreation of the faculty members. Further, it also provides temporary accommodation for the teachers as and when required. Employees Recreation Club provides the necessary infrastructure for organizing various social and cultural functions for the University employees.
- Temples – A spiritual initiative was taken by the University for building of a temple complex which consists of Lord Shiva and Bhunaneswari temples in the heart of the campus in the year 1979. Subsequently, the temple complex has been expanded to Mahavir Hanuman Mandir and Ram Mandir for greater interest of the devotees.
- Shopping Complex – The University has set up two shopping centers namely Deepa Market and Anand Bazaar in the years 1982 and 2010 respectively. This had aimed at providing the basic needs of students, campus dwellers, and others. It also helps visiting persons and people living in nearby villages. Cyber Café, Photocopy Centre and Medicine store fulfill the requirement of the residents of the University campus.
- Biju Patnaik Auditorium – The Berhampur University is having an Auditorium named as Biju Pattnaik Auditorium, named after the former Chief Minister of the State Late lamented Biju Patnaik who was also bestowed with the award of Bhumi Putra by the Government of Indonesia. This auditorium was established in the year 2006 with a seating capacity of 706 people. It is well furnished with a Central air-conditioned facility, along with a good and wide stage and two green rooms.
- Banks – The State Bank of India, Bhanja Bihar branch the has established in the year 1980. It functions from 10 am to 4.00 pm from Monday to Friday and on 1st and 3rd Saturdays. It is well equipped with modern facilities with 15 staff including Branch Manager. The Bank has set up two Automatic Teller Machines (ATM); one near the bank and another at the Administrative Block of the University. Another Bank i.e., Canara Bank, has already been allowed to start functioning at the University Campus. This bank will provide additional facilities to the students and other stakeholders of the University.
- Post Office – The University has a Post Office with five employees including Sub-Post Master. It was established in the year 1967 under the control of Government of India.
- Children’s Park – The provision for a Childrens Park was made in the year 2000 covering an area of 1500 square feet which adds aesthetic beauty to the environment of the campus. It is adorned with recreational facilities such as the seesaw, merry-go-round, slide, jungle gym, spring rider, monkey bars, overhead ladder, trapeze rings, playhouses, and mazes and many of which help children to develop their physical coordination, strength, and flexibility. It also provides recreation and enjoyment of the children.
- Nursery Interpretation Centre – The Nursery has developed one lakh Timer, ornamental and medicinal species plants. Horticulture garden with trees like Mango, Coconut, Guava, Pomegranate is planted across the Campus, to create a pollution-free environment.
- Playground – The University has a very good playground covering 60000 square meters. The playground has the facilities of two Basketball Courts, Volley Ball Court, Football ground and 400 Mts track. In addition Gymnasium, Indoor Shuttle Badminton Court, Table Tennis courts are also there for all the stakeholders.
- Police Outpost – There is a Police Outpost that was set up in the University campus in the year 1980 to maintain law and order and to instill a sense of security among the students, residents and nearby village dwellers. It enables the University administration to handle any crisis. It also wards off untoward happenings by patrolling during the night.
- Open Auditorium
- Yoga Centre
- Botanical Garden
- Student Common Room
- Girls Rest Room
- Internet Surfing Centre
Berhampur University Contact Details
Name: Berhampur University
Location: Berhampur, Odisha, India – 760007
Phone No.: +91-680-2227333
Official Website: buodisha.edu.in