Dibrugarh University, the easternmost University in India, was established in the year 1965. It is located in Dibrugarh, Assam, India. The University offers Under Graduate, Post Graduate, Advanced PG Diploma/Post-Graduate Diploma (PGD) /Certificate and Research programs. There are a total of seven faculties at the University. Dibrugarh University also offers a total of 35 teaching departments under the Faculty of Humanities and Law, Social Sciences, Education, Commerce and Management Sciences, Science and Engineering, Biological Sciences and Earth Sciences and Energy. Check out the page for Dibrugarh University.
Dibrugarh University today boasts five Schools of Studies – School of Humanities and Social Sciences, School of Science and Engineering, School of Commerce and Management Science, School of Education, School of Earth, Atmospheric Science, Environment and Energy. The University has a total of 176 district-wise colleges that are affiliated with it. Have a quick look at Dibrugarh University from the table given below:
|Location||Dibrugarh, Assam, India|
|Courses||UG, PG, Advanced PG Diploma/Post-Graduate Diploma (PGD) /Certificate and Research programmes|
Dibrugarh University Admission Process
Admission to Dibrugarh University for various PG courses is based on the entrance test conducted by the University. The application forms are made available online at the official website. Interested students are advised to fill out and submit the application form on or before the last date. After the due date, no applications shall be accepted under any circumstances.
Dibrugarh University Faculties
There are a total of seven faculties in the University and these faculties offer a total of 35 teaching departments. Check out the list of these faculties and their departments from the following.
|Name of the Faculty||Name of the Department|
|Faculty of Humanities and Law||Department of Assamese|
Department of English
Centre for Studies in Languages
Centre for Studies in Philosophy
Centre for Juridical Studies
Dr. Bhupen Hazarika Centre for Studies in Performing Arts
|Faculty of Social Sciences||Department of History|
Department of Political Science
Department of Sociology
Department of Economics
Centre for Social Work Studies
Centre for Studies in Journalism and Mass Communication
Centre for Womens Studies
UGC Centre for Studies on Bangladesh and Myanmar
|Faculty of Education||Department of Education|
Centre for Studies in Physical Education and Sports
Centre for Studies in Applied Psychology
Centre for Library and Information Science Studies
|Faculty of Commerce and Management Sciences||Department of Commerce|
Centre for Management Studies
Centre for Tea and Agro Studies
|Faculty of Science and Engineering||Department of Physics|
Department of Chemistry
Department of Mathematics
Department of Statistics
Department of Anthropology
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Centre for Computer Science and Applications
Centre for Atmospheric Studies
|Faculty of Biological Sciences||Department of Life Sciences|
Centre for Biotechnology and Bioinformatics
|Faculty of Earth Sciences and Energy||Department of Applied Geology|
Department of Petroleum Technology
Centre for Studies in Geography
Dibrugarh University Departments
The University has a total of 35 teaching departments under seven faculties namely Humanities and Law, Social Sciences, Education, Commerce and Management Sciences, Science and Engineering, Biological Sciences and Earth Sciences and Energy. Check out the list of these University teaching departments from the following.
- Department of Assamese – The Department of Assamese of Dibrugarh University was established in 1967. It is one of the leading departments at Dibrugarh University.
- Department of English – It was established in 1967, with the specific purpose of imparting post-graduate studies in English literature leading to M.A., M. Phil, Ph. D degrees and to chart the courses at the Major and General Degree level of the affiliated colleges.
- Centre for Studies in Languages – the Centre for Studies in Language was set up to impart quality education in the field of Indian and foreign languages. The Centre for Studies in Language has a collaborative program with Kasetsart University, Bangkok Thailand for which a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed by the University.
- Centre for Studies in Philosophy – The Centre for Studies in Philosophy is one of the latest Centres on campus and was started in July 2009, by Dibrugarh University.
- Centre for Juridical Studies – The Centre for Juridical Studies, Dibrugarh University was established in the year 2006 to impart 5 Year Integrated Legal Education with the conferment of the BA.LL.B. Degree under the Semester System to be completed in ten Semesters. The centre introduced 5 Year Integrated BA.LL.B. (Honours) Course in 2009 and the Master of Laws (LL.M.) program from the Academic Session 2012-2013.
- Dr Bhupen Hazarika Centre for Studies in Performing Arts – Dr Bhupen Hazarika Centre for Studies in Performing Arts (earlier known as Centre for Performing Arts), Dibrugarh University has been established in the year 2008.
- Department of History – The Department of History was started in 1967, two years after the establishment of the University in 1965. The Department aims at making it a Centre of Excellence for study and research in the field of Humanities & Social Sciences.
- Department of Political Science – The Department of Political Science was established in February 1967 and has been one of the oldest Departments of the University.
- Department of Sociology – The Department of Sociology was started in the year 1967.
- Department of Economics – The Department of Economics was established in 1967. It offers programs of M.A., M.Phil. and PhD. The Department encourages quality research programs through collaboration with other Universities and academic institutions in India and abroad.
- Centre for Social Work Studies – The Centre for Social Work Studies (CSWS) has been established in the year 2010 and offers professional courses like Master of Social Work(MSW) at Dibrugarh University.
- Centre for Studies in Journalism and Mass Communication – The Centre offers two master’s programs: M.A in Mass Communication (MAMC) course with a provision for specialization in print, electronic, new media and public affairs and a mandatory internship program and M.A. in Communication for Sanitation, Hygiene, and Health (CSH& H).
- Centre for Womens Studies – The Centre for Women’s Studies, Dibrugarh University was established as a Centre (Project) in 1998 and is one of the UGC-approved Womens Studies Centres in the country. It is the second such Centre in the North East region.
- UGC Centre for Studies on Bangladesh and Myanmar – The UGC Centre for Studies on Bangladesh and Myanmar (CSBM), at Dibrugarh University, was established in 2005.
- Department of Education – The Department of Education is one of the oldest Departments of Dibrugarh University, which started functioning on September 20, 1965.
- Centre for Studies in Physical Education and Sports – The Centre for Studies in Physical Education and Sports is being introduced in the session 2009-2010. It offers a Bachelor of Physical Education (B.P.Ed). [NCTE Recognized].
- Centre for Studies in Applied Psychology – In the year 2010-11, Dibrugarh University introduced Applied Psychology as a Programme at the Post Graduate Diploma level within its campus.
- Centre for Library and Information Science Studies – The Centre for Library and Information Science Studies (CLISS), Dibrugarh University was established in January 2005.
- Department of Commerce – The Post-graduate Department of Commerce of Dibrugarh University was started in the year 1978.
- Centre for Management Studies – The Centre for Management Studies (CMS), Dibrugarh University is one of the reputed academic centres established by Dibrugarh University. It came into existence with a formal notification issued on November 25, 2002.
- Centre for Tea and Agro Studies – This centre was established in the year 2007 as the primary focus of the Centre for Tea and Agro Studies.
- Department of Physics – The Department of Physics, at Dibrugarh University was established in the year 1967.
- Department of Chemistry – The Department of Chemistry was established in 1968 and since then offered M. Sc. (with Organic, Inorganic and Physical Specialization), M. Phil and Ph. D. Degrees.
- Department of Mathematics – The Department came into existence in the year 1967. Apart from regular courses like M.A. /M.Sc., Six-Month Pre-Registration Course Work of the Ph. D./ M. Phil. Programs, M. Phil. and Ph. D., presently the department is offering classes/guidance to the students preparing for NET and GATE Examinations also.
- Department of Statistics – The Department of Statistics was established in 1967.
- Department of Anthropology – The Department of Anthropology, Dibrugarh University started functioning in the year 1966, one year after its inception of the University.
- Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences – The Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences was established at Dibrugarh University in 1983 as the first establishment for offering four years integrated Bachelor’s Degree course in Pharmacy (B. Pharm.) in entire North East India with the intake of students from seven North East States of India (Assam, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Tripura, Arunachal Pradesh, and Nagaland).
- DUIET – Dibrugarh University Institute of Engineering & Technology (A Constituent College of Dibrugarh University, Dibrugarh) was established by Dibrugarh University in the year 2009. The Institute offers a four-year B.Tech. Program in the branch of Computer Science & Engineering, Electronics & Communication Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Petroleum Engineering.
- Centre for Computer Science and Applications – Centre for Computer Science and Applications (formerly known as Centre for Computer Studies) is one of the premier institutes of North East India imparting computer education. Dibrugarh University initiated its journey of imparting computer education by establishing a Computer Centre in 1976.
- Centre for Atmospheric Studies – CAS was established in the year 2006. It is one of the constituents of the School of Earth, Atmospheric Science, Energy and Environment.
- Department of Life Sciences – The Department of Life sciences was established in 1977. The department offers a Post-Graduate Programme like M.Sc. & PhD in Life Sciences.
- Centre for Biotechnology and Bioinformatics – The Centre for Biotechnology and Bioinformatics offers Postgraduate programmes leading to MSc. and PhD in Biotechnology and Bioinformatics.
- Department of Applied Geology – This department was established in the year 1970.
- Department of Petroleum Technology – The Department of Petroleum Technology was established in 1969.
- Centre for Studies in Geography – The Centre for Studies in Geography was established in 2008 and a 2-year M.A./M.Sc. programme in Geography was started.
Dibrugarh University Courses Offered
Dibrugarh University offers Under Graduate, Post Graduate, Advanced PG Diploma/Post-Graduate Diploma (PGD) /Certificate and Research programmes. Check out the list of these courses given below.
Programme Offered: Click here to check the courses offered by the university.
Dibrugarh University Affiliated Colleges
The University has district-wise affiliated colleges. The link to check out the list of district-wise affiliated colleges under Dibrugarh University is mentioned below.
Affiliated Colleges: Click here to check the complete list of District wise Affiliated Colleges Under Dibrugarh University.
Dibrugarh University Amenities & Infrastructure
Dibrugarh University provides various amenities and infrastructure for the students, staff, faculty and guests. Check out the list of these amenities and infrastructure from the following.
- Hostels – The University is currently providing hostel accommodation to deserving meritorious students. There are 16 hostels with limited seats. Hostel seats are provided strictly on merit and a first come first serve basis. Reservation of seats for S.C. and S.T. candidates is made as per the rules of the University.
- Auditorium – ‘Rangghar’, the main auditorium of the University is a major facility on the campus. Cultural programs and other events of the University are organized regularly at Rangghar.
- Conference Halls – The University has a number of Conference Halls to host Seminars, Symposia and Workshops. Some major Conference halls are the Indira Miri Conference Hall, Bhojraj Seth Conference Hall, Chintan, Vikshan, Aniruddha Dev Bhavan Conference Hall and Pushpalata Das Conference Hall.
- Students’ Day Activity Centre – The University has several Conference Halls to host Seminars, Symposia, and Workshops. Some major Conference halls are the Indira Miri Conference Hall, Bhojraj Seth Conference Hall, Chintan, Vikshan, Aniruddha Dev Bhavan Conference Hall and Pushpalata Das Conference Hall.
- Sports Facilities – The University provides sports and games facilities for the students.
- Health Care Centre – The Dibrugarh University Health Centre was first established in 1971 with a full-time Pharmacist and visiting Physicians of the Assam Medical College and Hospital.
- Hitendranath Barua Science and Culture Park – It covers 38 bighas (approximately) of verdant landscape with simulated Structures of the Rangghar, sculptures of a life-size elephant, a rhino, combative bulls, including an artificial waterfall atop a hill.
- Library – The University provides a library facility for the students. There are a number of books for the students, staff, and faculty.
- Vishranta-The Guest House – The Dibrugarh University Guest House is located against a picturesque backdrop of lush green tea gardens. The Guest House has two wings – The New Wing and the Old Wing. The New Wing consists of 13 Standard Rooms, 16 Deluxe Rooms and 6 Suites and the Old Wing consists of 6 Regular Rooms and 5 Budget Rooms.
- Canteens – The University also provides a canteen facility for the students, staff, faculty and also for guests.
- Coaching Schemes – The University provides a Coaching schemes facility.
- Botanical Garden – The University has allocated a plot of land measuring 4.63 hectares (253m X 183m) to the Department of Life Sciences for developing an ideal Botanical garden for ex-situ conservation of plant species.
- Staff Quarter – There are a total of 181 staff quarters in Dibrugarh University, of which 88 are allotted to the Teachers, 18 are allotted to the Officers, 26 are allotted to the 3rd Grade employees and 49 are allotted to the 4th Grade employees.
- Day Care Centre – The Day Care Centre, Dibrugarh University was established on 2nd September 2008.
Dibrugarh University Contact Details
Name: Dibrugarh University
Location: Dibrugarh, Assam, India – 786004
Phone No.: 0373 – 2370097, (0373) 2370336
Official Website: www.dibru.ac.in