Jawaharlal Nehru University was established in the year 1966 by an Act of Parliament. It is located in New Delhi, India. Courses offered at JNU are UG, PG, M.Phil/ Ph.D., Diploma/ Certificate courses. Various number of scholarships/ fellowships are offered at JNU for the students. The University also has various Schools and Centres. At present, there are ten Schools and four Special Centres at the University. JNU was the first to offer courses in foreign languages in an integrated five year M.A. programme. Read the article to know more about Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU).
Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU)
JNU is the foremost university in India and a world-renowned center for teaching and research. Ranked number one in India by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC). JNU was ranked no. 3 among all universities in India by the National Institutional Ranking Framework, Government of India, in 2016 and no. 2 in 2017. The University has also received the Best University Award from the President of India in 2017. Have a quick look at Jawaharlal Nehru University from the table mentioned below:
|Name||Jawaharlal Nehru University|
|Location||New Mehrauli Road, New Delhi, India|
|Courses||UG, PG, M.Phil / Ph.D., Diploma / Certificate Courses|
JNU Admission Process
Admission in JNU is based on marks obtained in Entrance Examination or Computer Based Test (CBT), except for M.Phil and Ph.D.
- Candidates are admitted on merit on the basis of their performance in the Computer Based Test. Students for admission to M.Phil and Ph.D are invited for Computer Based Test (CBT) and candidates qualifying with 50% marks for General Category and 45% marks for candidates belonging to SC/ST/OBC (non-creamy layer)/PWD category in the Computer Based Test (CBT) shall be called for viva-voce examination.
- Merit lists are prepared for each category, i.e., candidates belonging to SC, ST, OBC, PWD categories separately and on the basis of performance of candidates in the total aggregate marks (CBT + Viva-voce).
- The candidates for admission to DOP Bhasha Indonesia, DOP in Hebrew and DOP in Mongolian based on merit as per the performance in Certificate of Proficiency in respective language.
Admission of JRF holders to M.Phil and Ph.D programme –
- Only those candidates who fulfill the minimum eligibility requirements as prescribed for admission of candidates to M.Phil and Ph.D. programmes as mentioned in the respective schools/centres and have qualified for Junior Research Fellowship through CSIR/UGC National Eligibility Test (NET) examination are eligible to apply.
- Candidates shall have to appear for an interview and their selection will depend on their performance in the interview.
- Candidates who have appeared in the CSIR/UGC NET examination but results awaited may also apply under this category. However, such candidates will be interviewed upon submission of a valid proof of having qualified for or awarded the JRF certificate at the time of interview.
- Moreover, only candidates with valid proof of JRF qualification would be provided with a permissible travelling allowance for attending an interview.
Admission of Foreign Nationals to M.Phil and Ph.D programmes –
- The admission of foreign students for M.Phil and Ph.D. programmes may be considered in compliance with UGC 2016 Regulations regarding number of research scholars faculty (i.e. Professor/Associate/ Professor/Assistant Professor) can supervise.
- Foreign students shall be offered seats only if seats are left vacant in any discipline after being offered to Indian Candidates who have appeared in JNUEE 2019-20.
There are eight different scholarships offered by the University. The list for the same is given below:
- Tendulkar Scholarship – This Scholarship of Rs. 400/- p.m. is awarded for two years to 2 students of various Centres of School of Social Sciences by rotation.
- Prof. Nurul Hasan Scholarship – Two Scholarships of Rs. 1500/- p.m. each are awarded for a period of one year to students of the second year M.A./M.Sc./MCA students with the highest CGPA at the end of the first year, one of which shall be for Social Science subjects and the other for Science subjects, for promotion of education and other Ideals and values for which Prof. Hasan worked during his lifetime.
- Jawahar Bhawan Trust Scholarship – These Scholarships are of the value of Rs.1000/-p.m. awarded to 10 students for a period of one year (covering two semesters) and may be renewed for subsequent semester(s) subject to the condition that the student maintains CGPA of 5.5 at the end of third semester of MA/M.Sc. and fifth semester in case of MCA.
- Prof. M J K Thavaraj MCM Scholarship – There are 2 Scholarships of worth Rs.300/- each p.m. and Rs.2000/- as contingency are awarded on merit to M.A. (Economics) first-year students of School of Social Sciences.
- D S Gardi Sanskrit Scholarships – Annually awarded to two M.A. students of Sanskrit Studies for two years. These scholarships are awarded based on the performance of the students in the first semester.
- Prof. Gouri Shankar Singhal Merit Scholarship – One scholarship to M.Sc. (SLS) 2nd-year student value of Rs.1000/- per month for one year who obtained highest CGPA at the end of third semester to be selected at school level on the basis firstly of merit and secondly of need.
- Merit-cum-Means Scholarships – Several Merit-cum-Means scholarships are available for deserving and meritorious students whose parent’s/guardian’s income does not exceed Rs. 2,50,000/- per annum or as may be laid down from time to time. The payment of scholarships will be governed by the rules in force in the University from time to time.
- Ford Foundation Scholarships – A limited number of Ford Foundation Scholarships of the value of Rs. 700/- per month are available for students of the M.A. Programme of the School of International Studies. The Scholarships will be awarded purely on merit subject to the proviso that at least half of them will go to female students.
The University has ten Schools. The list for the same is given below in the table:
|Name of the School||Courses Offered|
|School of Arts and Aesthetics||M.A.|
|School of Biotechnology||M.Sc. Biotechnology|
|School of Computational and Integrative Sciences||M.Sc. in Computational Biology and Integrative Sciences|
P.G. Diploma in Big Data Analytics
Ph.D in Computational Biology and Bioinformatics
|School of Computer and Systems Sciences||M.Tech.|
|School of Engineering||BTech in Computer Science and Engineering |
BTech in Electronics and Communication Engineering
BTech in Civil and Environmental Engineering
BTech in Chemical Engineering
BTech in Mechanical Engineering
MS/MTech in Social Sciences/Humanities/Science/Technology
|School of Environmrntal Sciences||M.Sc.|
|School of Life Sciences||M.Sc.|
M.Phil. / Ph. D.
|Atal Bihari Vajpayee School of Management and Enterpreneurship||MBA|
|School Of Physical Sciences||Ph.D.|
|School of Sanskrit and Indic Studies||M.A.|
M.Phil / Ph.D.
JNU Courses Offered
JNU offers UG, Masters (PG), M.Phil / Ph.D. and also Diploma / Certificate courses. Courses offered in JNU are given in the following table:
|Programme Name||Courses Offered|
|Under Graduate||B.A.(Hons.)1st year in Arabic(ARBU)|
B.A.(Hons.)1st year in Chinese(CHNU)
B.A.(Hons.)1st year in French(FRNU)
B.A.(Hons.)1st year in German(GERU)
B.A.(Hons.)1st year in Japanese(JAPU)
B.A.(Hons.)1st year in Korean(KORU)
B.A.(Hons.)1st year in Persian(PERU)
B.A.(Hons.)1st year in Pushto (PUSU)
B.A.(Hons.)1st year in Russian(RSNU)
B.A.(Hons.)1st year in Spanish(SPNU)
B.A.(Hons.)2nd year in Arabic(ARBS)
B.A.(Hons.)2nd year in Chinese(CHNS)
B.A.(Hons.)2nd year in French(FRNS)
B.A.(Hons.)2nd year in German(GERS)
B.A.(Hons.)2nd year in Japanese(JAPS)
B.A.(Hons.)2nd year in Korean(KORS)
B.A.(Hons.)2nd year in Pashto(PUSS)
B.A.(Hons.)2nd year in Persian(PERS)
B.A.(Hons.)2nd year in Russian(RSNS)
B.A.(Hons.)2nd year in Spanish(SPNS)
Integrated M.Sc-Ph.D programme in Computational & Integrative Sciences(CISM)
Integrated M.Sc-Ph.D programme in Molecular Medicine(CMMM)
|Masters (PG)||Integrated M.Sc-Ph.D programme in Computational & Integrative Sciences(CISM)|
Integrated M.Sc-Ph.D programme in Molecular Medicine(CMMM)
M.A. in Ancient History(ANCM)
M.A. in Arabic(ARBM)
M.A. in Arts & Aesthetics(SAAM)
M.A. in Chinese(CHNM)
M.A. in Development and Labour Studies(DLSM)
M.A. in Economics(ECOM)
M.A. in Economics(with specialisation in World Economy)(EILM)
M.A. in English(ENGM)
M.A. in French and Francophone Studies(FRNM)
M.A. in Geography(GEOM)
M.A. in German Literature(GRLM)
M.A. in German Translation/Translation & Interpretation(GRTM)
M.A. in Hindi(HNDM)
M.A. in International Relations and Area Studies(IRAM)
M.A. in Japanese(JAPM)
M.A. in Korean(KORM)
M.A. in Linguistics(LINM)
M.A. in Medieval History(MEDM)
M.A. in Modern History(MODM)
M.A. in Persian(PERM)
M.A. in Philosophy(SPHM)
M.A. in Political Science(POLM)
M.A. in Politics(with specialisation in International Studies)(PISM)
M.A. in Russian(RSNM)
M.A. in Sanskrit(SANM)
M.A. in Sociology(SOCM)
M.A. in Spanish(SPNM)
M.A. in Urdu(URDM)
M.Sc. in Environmental Sciences(SESM)
M.Sc. in Life Sciences(SLSM)
M.Sc. in Physics(SPSM)
|M.Phil. / Ph.D.||M.Phil. in Portuguese(PRTP)|
M.Phil./Ph.D. in African Studies(AFSP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Ancient History(ANCP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Arabic(ARBP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Canadian Studies(CANP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Chinese Studies(CHIP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Chinese(CHNP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Cinema Studies(CNSP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Comparative Politics And Political Theory(CPTP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Computer & Systems Sciences(SCSP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Diplomacy and Disarmament(DADP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Discrimination and Exclusion Studies (SDEP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Economic Studies & Planning(ECOP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Economics(ECNP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Educational Studies(EDUP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in English(ENGP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in European Studies(EUPP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in French(FRNP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Geography(GEOP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in German(GERP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Hindi Translation(HTLP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Hindi(HNDP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Indo-Pacific Studies (South-East Asia/South-West Pacific)(IPSP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Inner Asian Studies(IASP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in International Legal Studies(ILGP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in International Organisation(ORGP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in International Politics(INPP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in International Trade & Development(ITDP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Japanese Studies(JPIP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Japanese(JAPP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Korean Studies(KOIP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Korean(KORP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Latin American Studies(LAMP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Law & Governance(CLGP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Life Sciences(SLSP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Linguistics(LINP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Media Studies (CMSP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Medieval History(MEDP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Modern History(MODP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in North East India Studies(NESP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Persian(PERP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Philosophy(SPHP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Political Geography(POGP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Political Studies(POLP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Population Studies(POPP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Programme in Social Sciences in Health(CSMP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Research Area I(ONEP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Research Area II(TWOP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Research Area III(THRP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Research Area IV(FORP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Russian & Central Asian Studies(RCAP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Russian(RSNP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Sanskrit(SANP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Social Systems(SOCP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in South Asian Studies(SASP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Spanish(SPNP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Studies in Science Policy(SSPP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Tamil(TAMP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Theatre and Performance Studies(TPSP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in United States Studies(USSP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Urdu(URDP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Visual Arts(VSAP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in West Asian Studies(WASP)
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Women Studies(WSPP)
M.Tech/Ph.D. in Computer & Systems Sciences(MTCP)
Master of Computer Applications(MCAM)
MPH/Ph.D. in Programme in Community Health(MPHP)
Pre-Ph.D./Ph.D. in Nanosciences(NNSP)
Pre-Ph.D/Ph.D. in Biotechnology(SBTP)
Pre-Ph.D/Ph.D. in Chemical Science(CHEP)
Pre-Ph.D/Ph.D. in Computaional Biology & Bioinformatics(CBBP)
Pre-Ph.D/Ph.D. in Mathematical Science(MATP)
Pre-Ph.D/Ph.D. in Molecular Medicine(CMMP)
Pre-Ph.D/Ph.D. in Physical Science(PHYP)
|Diploma / Certificate||Advance Diploma in Mass Media in Urdu|
Advance Diploma in Pushto
Certificate programme in Bahasa Indonesia
Diploma in Bhasha Indonesia
Certificate programme in Mongolian
Certificate programme in Urdu
Certificate programme in Pali
Certificate programme in Computational Linguistic
JNU Study Centre
There are five Study or Special Centre in the University. These special centres are given below:
- Centre for the Study of Law and Governance – The Centre for the Study of Law and Governance has developed at least three attributes that make it a distinctive part of the intellectual landscape.
- Special Centre for Disaster Research – It is a new academic research Centre at JNU which is also a first transdisciplinary research Centre.
- Special Centre for Molecular – The purpose of the SCMM is to foster research in the field of molecular and cell biology with direct application to the study of human diseases.
- Special Centre for Nanoscience – Special Centre for Nanoscience (SCNS) is a newly created inter-disciplinary research and teaching centre at JNU.
- Special Centre for the Study of North East India – Special Centre for the Study of North East India (SCSNEI) at JNU was established in the year 2018, upgraded from a Programme of research and teaching called North East India Studies Programme (NEISP).
Jawaharlal Nehru University provides various facilities for the students. The list of facilities is given below:
- Advanced Instrumentation Research Facility (AIRF)
- Communication and Information Services (CIS)
- Convention Centre
- Disability Support
- Guest Houses
- Medical Facilities
- University Science Instrumentation Center (USIC)
- SC / ST / OBC Cell
JNU Contact Details
Name: Jawaharlal Nehru University
Location: New Mehrauli Road, New Delhi, India – 110067
Phone No.: 011-26704050, 26742570
Email ID: [email protected]
Official Website: www.jnu.ac.in