Karnataka State Open University (KSOU) is a distance learning university established on June 01, 1996, by the Government of Karnataka under the Karnataka State Open University Act, 1992. It is considered to be a reputed Open University amongst the open learning institutions in the country. The University is located in Mysuru, Karnataka, India. There are both UG and PG courses offered by the University. Courses of KSOU are recognised by University Grants Commission (UGC). KSOU is housed with a lot of facilities for its students, staff, and guests. Read the article to know more about Karnataka State Open University (KSOU).
Karnataka State Open University (KSOU)
The Open Distance Learning (ODL) system is a unique and challenging mode of education offered at the university level. This system provides ample opportunities for those who desire to have University education at their place of work or residence. This method is popularly known as Open Distance Learning. Have a quick look at Karnataka State Open University (KSOU) from the table mentioned below,
|Name||Karnataka State Open University|
|Established||June 01, 1996|
|Location||Mukhtagangotri, Mysuru, Karnataka, India|
|Courses||UG and PG Courses|
Karnataka State Open University Admission Process
Admission in Karnataka State Open University is based on the marks obtained in the Common Entrance Examination as per the University norms. The admission application forms are available online at KSOU official website. The University releases the notification regarding admission in various courses online. Candidates need to submit admission fees as prescribed by the University.
There are certain eligibility criteria for admission in any course. Students have to submit the printed online application form and other original documents at the time of admission. The Admission ticket number given at the time of Common Entrance Test should be quoted in all your future correspondence with this University, till such time a permanent roll number is allotted to you.
Karnataka State Open University Departments
There are a total of 29 departments offered by the University. The list of these University teaching departments is given below:
- Department of Kannada
- Department of English
- Department of Management
- Department of Commerce
- Department of Economics
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Information Science
- Department of Food And Nutrition
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Geography
- Department of Physics
- Department of Education
- Department of History
- Department of Public Administration
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Micro Biology
- Department of Biochemistry
- Department of Biotechnology
- Department of Environmental Science
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Pshycology
- Department of Ancient History & Archaeology
- Department of Journalism & Mass Communication
- Department of Hindi
- Department of Sanskrit
- Department of Urdu
- Department of Telugu
- Department of Library & Information Science
Courses Offered at Karnataka State Open University
|Programme Name||Courses Offered|
|Under Graduate||Bachelor of Arts|
Bachelor of Commerce
Bachelor of Library and Information Science
|Post Graduate||Master of Business Administration|
Master of Arts (Ancient History and Archaeology)
Master of Arts (Economics)
Master of Arts (English)?
Master of Arts (Hindi)
Master of Arts (Kannada)
Master of Arts (Urdu)
Master of Arts (Sanskrit)
Master of Arts (History)
Master of Arts (Political Science)
Master of Arts (Public Administration)
Master of Arts (Sociology)
Master of Arts (Journalism and Mass Communication)
M.Sc.– Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics
M.Sc.– Computer Science
M.Sc. Environmental Science
M.Sc.– Information Science
M. Lib. Information Science
Karnataka State Open University (KSOU) Facilities
The University provides various facilities to the students. These facilities are listed below:
- Guest House Cottages – The Guest House of Karnataka State Open University is located in north-west of the University campus. It provides spacious and hygienic accommodation with modern facilities and good ambience for the academicians to stimulate them to work in their direction. The Guest House is built with well furnished 75 rooms, VIP, VVIP suites and other required amenities. It also provides accommodation to resource persons, experts, academicians, councillors and participating managers of other Universities of the country.
- Canteen – KSOU has provided the best canteen facilities to the students who come for KSOU office premise for the services. KSOU canteen provides the best quality hygienic and delicious food at affordable prices.??
- Girls Hostel – KSOU provides the girls hostel for the female students of the University.
- Health Care Centres – The Health centre of Karnataka State Open University is located in north-west of the University campus.
- Hostel for Women – The University Constitutes a well-furnished Ladies Hostel in the Campus with accommodation for 56 students at a time. Each room can accommodate two students at a nominal rent of Rs. 50/- per head. In addition to this, each student has to pay Rs. 250/- as Refundable Caution Deposit. The University will levy a penalty if students were found staying in the Hostel without a valid receipt.
- Hostel for Men – There are seven Hostels compressing three rooms. Nine students can stay in each hostel. Rent of Rs. 50/- per student per day has been fixed. Damage to University property in the hostel by students will be viewed seriously. Use of alcohol is prohibited in the rooms. If found, the erring student will be penalized. Accommodation service will be provided to those candidates who arrive first ‘First Come-First Served’ and there will be no preferential accommodation later.
- Banking – The University provides banking facilities for the students, staff, and guests.
- Library – The University also has a Library facility. There are a certain number of books for the students provided in the University Library.
- Video Lectures/ UGC Online Programs – The University also provides Video Lectures or UGC Online Programs for the students.
- Internship programme – KSOU also organizes the Internship programmes for the students.
- Skill Development Programme – The University also provides skill development programs for the students.
Karnataka State Open University (KSOU) Contact Details
Name: Karnataka State Open University
Location: Mukhtagangotri, Mysuru, Karnataka, India – 570006
Phone No.: 0821-2512471
Email ID: [email protected]
Official Website: www.ksoumysuru.ac.in