Punjabi University, Patiala (PUP) was established on June 24, 1962, by the Punjab Assembly. It is located in Patiala, Punjab, India. PUP offers Under Graduate, Post Graduate, Integrated courses, PG Diploma, Diploma and Certificate courses at Patiala Campus (main campus), Regional Centres and also at Neighbourhood campuses. The University has a total of 11 faculties and 50 teaching departments under the faculty of Arts & Culture, Languages, Social Sciences, Business Studies, Laws, Life Sciences, Computing Sciences, Medicine, Education and Information Science, Physical Sciences and Engineering. Check out the page for Punjabi University, Patiala (PUP).
Punjabi University, Patiala (PUP)
PUP has a total of 270 affiliated colleges in the district of Patiala, Fatehgarh, Sangrur, Barnala, Bathinda, Mansa, Faridkot, Ropar and Mohali. There are 13 constituent colleges, 06 regional and 08 neighbourhood campuses of the University. Punjabi University also has 08 chairs and 12 research departments. Have a quick look at Punjabi University, Patiala (PUP) from the table mentioned below:
|Name||Punjabi University, Patiala|
|Established||June 24, 1962|
|Location||Patiala, Punjab, India|
|Courses||UG, PG, Integrated, PG Diploma, Diploma, Certificate and Online Courses|
PUP Admission Process
Admission in Punjabi University is based merit of the qualifying examination for some courses and other courses, it is based on the marks obtained in the entrance examination. Online application-cum-admission forms are made available online at the official website. Interested students are advised to submit the Online Application-cum Admission Form on or before the last date along with the application fee. After the submission of application forms, students need to appear for the interview. Online Application-cum-Entrance Test Form is also available for those students who have to give the entrance test.
Students need to download their admit card and appear for the entrance test. After the test, merit list will be prepared based on the entrance test marks. For M.Ed./M.Tech./LL.M/M.Sc. Hon’s In Biotechnology And Microbial And Food Technology/ MBA/ M.Com. Hons (Five Year Integrated Programme)/ M.Com & M.Com (Finance)/ M.Sc. Hon’s In Botany (2 Years)/B.Sc. (Mathematics & Computing) and B.Sc. Hon’s In Mathematics/ M.Sc. Mathematics & M.Sc. (Applied Mathematics & Computing)/M.Phil. & PhD courses, admission is based on the merit of the entrance test.
PUP has a total of 11 faculties. The list for the same is given below.
- Faculty of Arts and Culture
- Faculty of Languages
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Faculty of Business Studies
- Faculty of Laws
- Faculty of Life Sciences
- Faculty of Computing Sciences
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Education and Information Science
- Faculty of Physical Sciences
- Faculty of Engineering
PUP has a total of 50 teaching departments under the faculty of Arts & Culture, Languages, Social Sciences, Business Studies, Laws, Life Sciences, Computing Sciences, Medicine, Education, and Information Science, Physical Sciences and Engineering. The list of these PUP departments is mentioned below.
PUP Courses Offered
Punjabi University, Patiala offers various Under Graduate, Post Graduate, Integrated courses, PG Diploma, Diploma and Certificate courses at Patiala Campus (main campus), Regional Centres and also at Neighbourhood campuses. The University also offers online courses at the main campus. The list of these courses offered is mentioned below in the following pdf.
Courses Offered at Punjabi University, Patiala Campus
Courses Offered at Punjabi University Regional Centres
Courses Offered at Punjabi University Neighbourhood Campuses
PUP Affiliated Colleges
The University has a total of 270 colleges affiliated to it. There are 09 Government colleges, 15 Private colleges (Aided), 37 Self Financing colleges in the district of Patiala. In Fatehgarh Sahib district, there are 01 Government colleges, 01 Private colleges (Aided) and 19 Self Financing colleges. In Sangrur district, there are 07 Government colleges, 06 Private colleges (Aided) and 45 Self Financing colleges. In the Barnala district, there are 03 Private colleges (Aided), 10 Self Financing colleges and no Government college.
In Bathinda district, there are 02 Government colleges, 04 Private colleges (Aided) and 38 Self Financing colleges. In Mansa district, there are 01 Government colleges, 03 Private colleges (Aided) and 23 self Financing colleges. In Faridkot district, there are 03 Government colleges, no Private college (Aided) and 13 Self Financing colleges. In Ropar district, there are 02 Government colleges, 03 Private colleges (Aided) and 08 Self Financing colleges. In Mohali district, there are 02 Government colleges, 03 Private colleges (Aided) and 21 Self Financing colleges. Check out the complete list of affiliated colleges from the following given pdf.
PUP Constituent Colleges
PUP has a total of 13 constituent colleges. The list of these constituent colleges is given below.
- Mata Sundri University Girls College, Mansa
- Punjabi University T.P.D. College, Rampura Phul.
- S. Balraj Singh Bhunder Mamorial University College, Sardulgarh
- University College, Bahadurpur (Mansa)
- University College, Barnala
- University College, Benra (Dhuri)
- University College, Chuni Kalan
- University College, Dhilwan
- University College, Ghanaur
- University College, Ghudda (Bathinda)
- University College, Jaito
- University College, Miranpur
- University College, Moonak
PUP Regional Centres
The University has 6 regional centres. The list of these regional centres is given below.
- Nawab Sher Mohammad Khan Institute of Advanced Studies in Urdu, Persian and Arabic, Malerkotla
- Punjabi University Guru Kashi College, Damdama Sahib
- Punjabi University Regional Center for Information Technology and Management, Mohali
- Punjabi University Regional Centre, Bathinda, Department of Education
- Punjabi University Regional Centre, Bathinda, Department of Law
- Punjabi University Regional Centre, Bathinda, Department of Postgraduate Studies
PUP Neighbourhood Campuses
There are a total of 8 neighbourhood campuses of the University. The list of these campuses is given below.
- College Of Engineering and Management, Punjabi University Neighbourhood Campus, Rampura Phul
- Punjabi University Campus, Akali Phula Singh, Dehla Seehan (Sangrur)
- Punjabi University Campus, Maur (Bathinda)
- Punjabi University Neighbourhood Campus, Dera Baba Jogipir, Village Ralla (Mansa)
- Punjabi University Neighbourhood Campus, Jaito (Faridkot)
- Punjabi University Baba Dhyan Dass Neighbourhood Campus, Jhuneer (Mansa)
- Punjabi University Guru Kashi Campus Talwandi Sabo, School of Business Studies
- Punjabi University Guru Kashi Campus Talwandi Sabo, Yadavindra College of Engineering (YCOE)
Punjabi University has a total of 8 chairs. The list for these PUP chairs is given below.
- Bhagwan Parshuram Chair For Indian Culture and Literature – Bhagwan Parshuram Chair was established in 2015.
- Bhai Vir Singh Chair
- Gurmat Sangeet Chair – Gurmat Sangeet Chair was established in 2003 with the financial support of Sri Guru Gian Parkash Foundation, New Delhi for Research, Archival Preservations, Audio-Visual Publications.
- Maharishi Valmiki Chair -Maharishi Valmiki Chair was established by the Punjab Government in the Campus of Punjabi University, Patiala, on October 16, 1995. The main aim of department is to undertake the ethentic research on the life and work of Maharishi Valmiki Ji.
- Maharana Pratap Chair – Maharana Pratap Chair has been established in October 2017 in the Depatment of History on the initiative of Government of Punjab.
- Maharaja Agrasen Chair – With sincerely and relentless efforts by Sh. Vijayinder Singla (Hon’ble Cabinet Minister Punjab Govt.) Hon’ble Chief Minister of Punjab Captain Amrinder Singh has established Maharaja Agrasen Chair at Punjabi University, Patiala in December 2017.
- Shahid Kartar Singh Sarabha Chair
- Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur National Integration Chair – The Punjabi University as a premier institution of this region established the National Integration Chair in the year 1993.
PUP Research Departments
There are 12 research departments in the University. The list of these research departments is given below.
- Baba Farid Centre for Sufi Studies
- Centre for Diaspora Studies
- Centre for Development Economics and Innovation Studies (CDEIS)
- Center For Artificial Intelligence And Data Sciences (CRAIDS)
- Centre For Public Policy And Governance
- Department Of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Studies
- Department of Development of Punjabi Language
- Institute of Advanced Studies in Comparative Religion Dr. Balbir Singh Kendra, Dehradun
- Punjab Historical Studies
- Punjabi Literary Studies
- Research Centre for Punjabi Language Technology
- Prof. Harbans Singh Encyclopaedia of Sikhism
The University provides various facilities for the students, staffs and guests. The list for the same is given below.
- University Library – The library has established departmental libraries in some of the teaching departments and regional centers at Bathinda, Talwandi Saboo, Dr. Balbir Singh Sahitya Kendra Library, Dehradun and Punjabi University B.Ed. College, Bathinda. There are 215 e-books available on Computer Science, Engineering & Business Studies and full text of these e-books is available at the University Campus.
- University Computer Centre – The University has set up a University Computer Centre. It was established in the year 1986 with the assistance of the University Grants Commission. University Computer Centre (UCC) is taken as centralized resource facilitator for computerization to cater to the needs of the entire University.
- Research Centre for Punjabi Language Technology – The Research Centre for Punjabi Language Technology was established in 2004 to conduct research and development in linguistic and computational aspects of Punjabi Language as well as to spread the usage of Punjabi on computers and internet.Its the only Centre in the world dedicated to the Technical Development of Punjabi. The Centre now runs B.A.(Hon’s) in TV and Film Production; B.A.(Hons) Course in Journalism, Mass Communication and Media Technology, MA TV & Film Production and Ph.D. programs.
- Educational Multimedia Research Centre (EMRC) – The Educational Multimedia Research Centre (EMRC) was established as Audio Visual Research Centre (AVRC) in 1989 by the UGC-CEC at Punjabi University, Patiala under its Country Wide Classroom (CWC) Project.
- Publication Bureau – The Publication Bureau, established in 1966 has a unique and important place in the academic life of the University. It has been publishing the research works, books and journals, produced by different departments of the University.
- Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) – Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) was established on 1-8-1999 as per the guidelines of the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC).
- The primary aim of IQAC is to develop a system for conscious, consistent and catalytic action to improve the academic and administrative performance of the institution and also to promote measures for institutional functioning towards quality enhancement through internalization of quality culture and institutionalization of best practices.
- Sports – The Directorate of Sports works for promoting Sports in the University and its affiliated colleges. It organizes Inter-College Competitions in various games and trains students for participation in Inter-University, National, and International Games. Well maintained infrastructure and facilities for games such as Archery, Athletics, Basketball, Boxing, Cycling, Fencing, Football, Hockey, Judo, Handball, Lawn Tennis, Shooting, Taekwondo, Table Tennis, Volleyball, Wrestling, etc. have been maintained.
- Youth Welfare Development – The Youth Welfare Department of the University organizes youth activities all round the year. The Punjabi University has won unique distinctions in Youth Festivals organized by the Association of Indian Universities in collaboration with the Ministry of Youth Affairs, Govt. of India; Directorate of Youth Services, Panjab; Directorate of Higher Education, Panjab and Panjabi Academy of Delhi State.
- National Service Scheme – The National Service Scheme is one of the most significant programme of the university. It inculcates the spirit of voluntary work among students and teachers through sustained community interaction. NSS plays a vital role in the personality development of students and the upliftment of society.
- Health Centre – Health Centre has 2 doctors, 4 pharmacists, w staff nurses, 1 male nurse, 3 Lab Technicians, 1 radiographer, 1 ECG Technician and other supporting staff.
- Disposal of Biomedical Waste – Punjabi University has got authorization from Punjabi Pollution Control Board. Biomedical waste is generated in 5 Department other than health Centre for which a common collection point has been made in the health center which is then sent to Ludhiana based authorized firm for further disposal.
- Centralised Admission Cell (CAC) – The University has established a Centralized Admission Cell (CAC) in the year 2012. This Cell monitors online admission of all courses run by the university and conduct entrance tests and counseling of various courses mentioned in the Handbook of Information.
- Counseling Cell – A Counseling Cell for students and employees of the University has been established in the University. This cell is monitored by the Department of Psychology.
- Hostels – There are six residential Hostels for boys and seven residential Hostels for girls. The strength of these four hostels is 550 for boys and 550 for girls. University College of Engineering has its separate hostel facility. All the Hostels have wi-fi facility & CCTV Camera.
- University Inquiry – The University Enquiry and Information Centre has been set up at the Main Gate to provide all facilities under one roof to the students and parents about admissions, results, information regarding Distance Education and general courses, receipt of examination forms and canteen facilities.
- Transport – The Transport Department of the University runs a fleet of buses for linking the campus to various parts of Patiala city.
- Women Studies Centre – Women’s Studies Centre was allocated to Punjabi University by University Grants Commission under XI Plan, in August 2009.Its main objective is the pursuit of a comprehensive critical and balanced investigation of the cause of gender disparity.
- UGC – Human Resource Development Centre (HRDC) – The Academic College has conducted many Refresher Courses in Orientation Courses, Workshops/Short Term Courses and Principals’ Meet successfully. All these courses acquired National Character because participants were from as distant states like Goa, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Nagaland, Meghalaya H.P. Assam, Haryana, etc.
- Department of Tourism, Hospitality And Hotel Management – This department was established in the year 2010. The objective of the Department is to impart students with latest Hospitality knowledge, skills, concepts, and management teachings to make them productive and professional for taking up leadership positions in Hospitality & Tourism sector all over the world.
- CAMS – B.A.(Hons) Course in Journalism, Mass Communication and Media Technology, MA TV & film production and PG Diploma in Graphics, Animation and Special Effects.
- Sophisticated Instruments Centre (SIC) – Punjabi University Patiala established the Sophisticated Instruments Centre (SIC) in 2012 as a necessary and very important facility for carrying out the research work in the field of Life Sciences, Medical Sciences and Physical Sciences.
- Prevention Of Sexual Harassment Of Women At Workplace Cell – The cell addresses the complaints of sexual harassment nature from students, research scholars, teachers and non-teaching employees of the various departments of the University, its constituent colleges, regional centers and neighborhood campuses.
PUP Contact Details
Name: Punjabi University, Patiala
Location: Patiala, Punjab, India – 147002
Phone No.: 0175-3046032
Official Website: www.punjabiuniversity.ac.in