Tamil University was established in the year 1981. The location of the Tamil University was chosen to be in the outskirts of Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu, India. There are 26 University Teaching Departments under five faculties in the University. The University offers Integrated PG courses, PG course, Research Degree, Diploma, PG Diploma, Post Diploma and Certificate courses for the students. It also has nine recognized institutions and six committees. Check out the page for Tamil University.
The aims and objectives of this unitary type of university comprise a higher research in Tamilology and advanced study in various other allied branches such as Linguistics, Translation, Lexicography, Music, Drama and Manuscriptology. The University is a high level research center for furthering advancement of learning and research in Tamil Language, Culture, History, Arts and Science. Have a quick look at Tamil University from the table mentioned below:
|Location||Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Courses||PG, Integrated PG, Diploma, PG Diploma, Post Diploma & Certificate courses|
Tamil University Admission Process
The selection for admission in Tamil University is based on performance in an entrance test and in the qualifying examination (UG) up to V Semester / II year. Application forms for admission are available online at the official website. Students need to fill and submit the application form on or before the last date along with the prescribed application fees. The Entrance Test will be conducted in the University campus only.
Applicants will be directly informed by the Head of the Departments concerned about the date, time and venue of the counseling. Applicants who had not appeared for the counseling will be rejected. Applicants will be selected based on the entrance test, qualifying examination, counseling and roaster system followed by the Government of Tamil Nadu. Applicants selection will subject to change based on vacancies in the concerned department.
Tamil University Faculties
There are five faculties in the University. These faculties have various number of teaching departments under it. The list for the same is given below in the table:
|Name of the Faculty||Name of the Department|
|Faculty of Arts||Department of Sculpture|
Department of Music
Department of Drama
|Faculty of Manuscriptology||Department of Palmleaf Manuscriptology|
Department of Rare Paper Manuscriptology
Department of Epigraphy And Archaeology
Department of Maritime History and Marine Archaeology
|Faculty of Developing Tamil||Department of Tamil Studies in Foreign Countries|
Department of Translation
Department of Lexicography
Department of Social Science
Department of Scientific Tamil and Tamil Development
Department of Education and Management
|Faculty of Language||Department of Literature|
Department of Linguistics
School of Philosophy
Department of Tribal Research
Department of Folklore
School of Indian Languages & Comparative Literature
|Faculty of Science||Department of Siddha Medicine|
Department of Ancient Science
Department of Industries and Earth Sciences
Department of Architecture
Department of Computer Science
Department of Environmental and Herbal Science
Department of Library and Information Science
Tamil University Departments
Tamil University offers 26 University Teaching Departments under the faculty of Arts, Manuscriptology, Developing Tamil, Language and Science. The list of these departments is mentioned below:
- Department of Sculpture – This Department was established in September 1981. Apart from facilities for doing research towards M.Phil. and Ph.D., the Department has a P.G programme in History, Art and Culture.
- Department of Music – The Department has organized 27 seminars, 3 workshops and 5 Refresher courses. The objective of this department is to undertake research on the origin and development of music and the role of Tamil music in the broader context of Indian Music and World Music.
- Department of Drama – The department has organized 10 seminars, 3 workshops and 1 refresher course. M.A. This Department offers M.Phil., Ph.D. &Bachelor of Performing Arts (Koothukkalari) courses.
- Department of Palmleaf Manuscriptology – The Department has collected more than 8000 palm leaf manuscripts covering several subjects such as Philosophy, medicine, astrology, grammar and Sangam literature.
- Department of Rare Paper Manuscriptology – The department has organized 8 seminars and one workshop. This department offers M.A., M.Phil., PH.D. & Diploma in Manuscriptology courses.
- Department of Epigraphy And Archaeology – The Department has discovered oldest Tamil -Brahmi inscriptions on hero stones at Pulimankombai, Thathapatti and Porpanaikottai. This department offers M.A. History and Archaeology, M.Phil. History, Epigraphy and Archaeology, Ph.D. History, Epigraphy and Archaeology courses.
- Department of Maritime History and Marine Archaeology – The department has organized 15 seminars, workshops and refresher courses. This department offers M.A., M.Phil. & Ph.D. courses.
- Department of Tamil Studies in Foreign Countries – In this department, the faculty members have published more than many books. Training programmes have been conducted. This department offers M.A., M.Phil. Tamil Studies & Ph.D. Tamil Studies academic courses.
- Department of Translation – This is the only Department in Tamil Nadu for Translation at University level. The objective of this department is to translate Tamil literature into other languages and vice-versa and to evaluate the existing translations of Tamil Literature.
- Department of Lexicography – The department has organized 6 seminars, 4 Refresher courses and 6 workshops. The objective of this department is to impart Lexicographic knowledge and training among school, college and university teachers and research scholars in Indian Languages, especially in Tamil.
- Department of Social Science – The department has organized 34 seminars, workshops, training programmes and refresher courses. This department offers M.A., M.S.W, M.Phil. & Ph.D. courses.
- Department of Scientific Tamil and Tamil Development – The department has organized 4 seminars 3 workshops and 3 refresher courses. The objective is to publish Scientific Tamil Text books for professional courses and to prepare Scientific Terminology in Tamil for various science subjects like Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology, Engineering etc.
- Department of Education and Management – The main object for starting the B.Ed. course is to achieve planned development of the system of teacher education in Tamil Nadu.
- Department of Literature – The department has organized many seminars, workshops and refresher courses.
- Department of Linguistics – The department offers M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D courses. This department offers M.A., M.Phil. & Ph.D. academic courses. The objective is to write text books in Tamil on Linguistics and dictionary/ encyclopaedia of technical terms in Linguistics and to study the grammatical structure of Tamil in traditional way.
- School of Philosophy – The school aims to carry out the advanced research on Indian traditional thought and thinkers with special reference to Tamil sources.
- Department of Tribal Research – The Department envisages undertaking comprehensive studies relating to tribal communities of Tamil Nadu.
- Department of Folklore – The department has organized 30 seminars, workshops and refresher courses. The objective is to collect, classify and preserve the fast changing and also vanishing Folk Arts and Crafts, Folk Believes and Practices, Folk Religion, Folk Customs, Folk Games, Folk literature, Folk Science and Technology etc.
- School of Indian Languages & Comparative Literature – The faculty members of the department have completed 15 research projects. This department offers M.A, M.Phil., Ph.D., Diploma in Tamil, Diploma in Telugu, Certificate in Tamil, Certificate in Telugu & Special Tamil Training Courses for Foreigners, Linguistic minorities and IAS, IPS, IFS probationers courses.
- Department of Siddha Medicine – The department offers PG – Diploma `Siddha drug Standardization Regular, M.Sc., Biomedical Science, M.Phil Biochemistry, Ph.D.
- Department of Ancient Science – The department has organized 12 seminars and 2 workshops and refresher courses. This Department has produced 23 Ph.D and 42. M.Phil Theses.
- Department of Industries and Earth Sciences – The department has organized 42 seminars, and 18 workshops. This department offers M.Sc. Geology, M.Phil., Ph.D. &P.G. Diploma in Geographic Information System in Coastal Eco System courses.
- Department of Architecture – The objective of this department is to study and demarcate the ancient Architecture of South India and to survey and evaluate its influence over the culture of other countries.
- Department of Computer Science – The Department of Computer Science in Tamil University is established in January 1986. This is functioning under the Faculty of Science.
- Department of Environmental and Herbal Science – The objective is to carry out research projects, teaching programme and extension activities in Environmental and Herbal Sciences.
- Department of Library and Information Science – The department offers MLIS, M.Phil., Ph.D. courses.
Tamil University Courses Offered
The University offers Integrated PG course, PG, Research Degree, Diploma, PG Diploma, Post Diploma and Certificate courses for the students. Check out the list of courses offered by the University from the table mentioned below.
|Programme Name||Courses Offered|
|Integrated PG Course (5 years)||M.A. Tamil|
|Post Graduate||M.A. Tamil Literature|
M.A. History, Art & Culture
M.A. Applied Linguistics.
M.A. Temple administration, Tourism & Philosophy
M.A. History and Archeology
M.A. Tamilology, Folklore & Culture
M.A. Applied Tamilology
M.A. Social Science
M.A. Tamilology & History of Editing
M.Sc. Environmental Science
M.Sc. Computer Science
|Research Degrees||M.Phil and PhD. Programmes under all departments|
|Diploma Courses||Saiva Siddantham|
|P.G.Diploma Courses||Herbal Bio-Technology|
Siddha Drug Standardization
|Post Diploma Courses||Play Creation|
Tamil University International Programs
Tamil University offers International Programs for the foreign students. The Tamil University’s Centre of International Programmes plays an important role in the development of Tamil Language and culture in domestic as well as overseas contexts. The University’s foreign students mainly derive from the Tamil Diaspora and the researchers interested in Tamil Studies. This International program offers research programmes (M.Phil. and PhD programmes) for thr students.
Click Here to know more about the International Programs of the University.
Tamil University Fee Structure
The University offers different fee structure for various courses offered by it. The link to check the fee structure 2018-2019 of various courses is mentioned below.
Fee Structure: Click Here to check the fee structure 2018-2019 for Doctore of Philosophy, Master of Philosophy, M.A. and M.Sc. courses.
Tamil University Recognized Institutions
There are nine institutions which are recognized by the Tamil University. The list of institutions recognized by the University is given below in the pdf.
Tamil University Committees
There are six committees in the Tamil University. The list of these committees is given below.
- Women’s Welfare Committee
- Building Committee
- Purchase Committee
- Research Committee
- Finance Committee
- Publication Committee
Tamil University Facilities
The University provides various facilities for the faculties and students. The list of these facilities is given below.
- Faculty Guest House
- Open Air Theatre
- Career Guidance & Counselling
- Health Centre
- Placement and Vocational Guidance Cell
- Student Grievance Cell
- Women Harassment Redressal Cell
- SC/ST Welfare Cell
- Coaching for SLET/NET
Tamil University Contact Details
Name: Tamil University
Location: Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu, India – 613010
Phone No.: 91- 04362 227040, 04362 226720
Fax: 91 04362 226159, 04362 226159
E-mail: [email protected]
Official Website: www.tamiluniversity.ac.in