Tezpur University was established in the year 1994 by an Act of Parliament. It is located at Napaam, Sonitpur, Assam, India. The University offers a Doctor of Philosophy program in 17 disciplines, a Masters Degree programme in 19 disciplines, Post-Graduate Diploma in 3 disciplines, B. Tech. in 5 disciplines, a Certificate programme in 1 discipline and Integrated M. Sc. programme in 4 disciplines, Integrated B. A. B. Ed. Programme in 1 discipline, Integrated M. A. in 1 discipline and Integrated B. Sc. B. Ed. programme in 3 disciplines. A total of 22 teaching departments are offered under 04 campus schools. There are also seven campus centers and eight University cells. Check out the page for Tezpur University.
Tezpur University has already developed a few state-of-the-art laboratories, computing facilities, internet connectivity, a dedicated power supply system and a relatively small but rich library having connectivity to several digital libraries. Other basic amenities like hostels, central water supply, campus security, guest house, canteen, gymnasium, outdoor & indoor sports facilities, post office, banks, school, etc. are also available to cater to the various needs of the university community. Have a quick look at Tezpur University from the table given below:
|Established||21 Jan 1994|
|Location||Napaam, Sonitpur, Assam, India|
|Courses||UG, PG, Diploma, PG Diploma, Integrated, Certificate and Ph.D. programmes|
Tezpur University Admission Process
Admission in Tezpur University is based on University Entrance Examination for some UG and PG programmes and B.Tech. programmes, admission is based on All India Ranking (CRL) of JEE Main. The University also provides direct admission to Integrated and B.Tech. programs. A certain number of candidates will be admitted directly to the M.Tech. Programme based on their valid GATE score.
For Ph.D. programmes, the University entrance examination will be conducted in designated examination centers. However, Personal Interview (PI) will be conducted in the respective Departments. Online applications are invited from eligible candidates for admission. Application forms are available online at the official website. Interested eligible candidates can apply online by paying the application fee through Debit card/ Credit card/ Net banking on or before the last date.
Tezpur University Academic Calendar
The University provides the academic calendar for various semester. Check out the academic calendar 2019 for spring semester from the following pdf to get an idea about the coming session.
Tezpur University Schools
There are four schools in the University Campus. The list of these campus school is given below.
- School of Engineering
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences
- School of Management Sciences
- School of Sciences
Tezpur University Departments
The University has a total of 22 teaching departments. The list for the University Teaching Departments is given below.
|Name of the School||Name of the Departments|
|School of Engineering||Department of Computer Science and Engineering|
Department of Civil Engineering
Department of Electronics and Comm. Engineering
Department of Energy
Department of Food Engineering and Technology
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Department of Electrical Engineering
|School of Humanities and Social Sciences||Department of Cultural Studies|
Department of English
Department of Mass Comm. and Journalism
Department of Sociology
Department of Hindi
Department of Social Work
Department of Education
Department of Law
|School of Management Sciences||Department of Business Administration|
Department of Commerce
Centre for Disaster Management
|School of Sciences||Department of Chemical Sciences|
Department of Environmental Science
Department of Mathematical Sciences
Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
Department of Physics
Tezpur University Courses Offered
Tezpur University offers various Under Graduate, Post Graduate, Diploma, PG Diploma, Integrated, Certificate and Ph.D. programmes. Check out the list of these courses offered from the following given table.
|Name of the Departments||Courses Offered|
|Department of Computer Science and Engineering||B.Tech in Computer Science and Engineering|
Master of Computer Science Application
M.Tech in Information Technology
Ph.D in Computer Science & Engineering
|Department of Civil Engineering||B.Tech in Civil Engineering|
M.Tech in Civil Engineering
Ph.D in Civil Engineering
|Department of Electronics and Comm. Engineering||B.Tech in Electronics & Communication Engineering|
M.Tech in Electronics and Design Technology
M. Tech in Bioelectronics
Ph.D in Electronics & Communication Engineering
|Department of Energy||M.Tech in Energy Technology|
B.Voc in Renewable Energy
Ph.D in Energy
|Department of Food Engineering and Technology||M.Tech in Food Engineering and Technology|
B.Tech in Food Engineering and Technology
B.Voc in Food Processing
Ph.D in Food Processing Technology
|Department of Mechanical Engineering||B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering|
M.Tech in Mechanical Engineering
Ph.D in Mechanical Engineering
|Department of Electrical Engineering||B. Tech in Electrical Engineering|
M.Tech in Energy Technology
B.Voc in Renewable Energy
Ph.D in Energy
|Department of Chemical Sciences||M.Sc in Chemistry|
M.Tech in Polymer Science & Technology
Integrated M.Sc in Chemistry
Integrated B.Sc B.Ed(Chemistry)
Ph.D in Chemical Sciences
|Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology||M.Sc in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology|
Integrated M.Sc in Bioscience & Bioinformatics
Ph.D in MBBT
|Department of Mathematical Sciences||M.Sc in Mathematics|
Integrated M.Sc in Mathematics
Integrated B.Sc B.Ed( Mathematics )
Ph.D in Mathematical Sciences
|Department of Physics||M.Sc in Physics|
M.Sc in Nanoscience & Technology
Integrated M.Sc in Physics
Integrated B.Sc B.Ed (Physics)
Ph.D in Physics
|Department of Environmental Science||M.Sc in Environmental Science|
Ph.D in Environmental Science
|Department of Cultutal Studies||M.A in Cultural Studies|
Ph.D in Cultural Studies
|Department of English and Foreign Languages||M. A. in English|
MA in Linguistics and Language Technology
MA in Linguistics and Endangered Language
Integrated M.A in English
One year Certificate in Chinese
Integrated B.A B.Ed (English)
Ph.D in English and Foreign Languages
|Department of Mass Communication and Journalism||M.A in Mass Communication and Journalism|
MA in Communication For Development
Ph.D in Mass Communication and Journalism
|Department of Sociology||M.A in Sociology|
Ph.D in Sociology
|Department of Hindi||MA in Hindi|
P.G. Diploma in Translation
Ph.D in Hindi
|Department of Law||Master of Law|
|Department of Social Work||Master of Social Work|
|Department of Education||MA in Education|
|Centre for Women Studies||PG Diploma in Women Studies|
|Centre for Inclusive Development||PG Diploma in Child Rights and Governance|
|Centre for Assamese Studies||Ph.D in Assamese Studies|
|Department of Business Administration||Master of Business Administration|
Master of Tourism and Travel Management
Certificate in NSE certified Capital Market Professional
Ph.D in Business Administration
|Department of Commerce|| Integrated of M.Com|
|Community College||Diploma in Paralegal Practice|
Tezpur University Fee Structure
Tezpur University has different fee structure for all the courses. Check out the normal fee structure, semester-wise fee structure and fee structure for Ph.D. students to be admitted in Autumn Semester – 2019 from the following.
Fee Structure (Normal)
Semester-wise Fee Structure
Fee Structure for Ph.D. courses
Tezpur University Centre
Tezpur University has a total of seven University Centre. The list of these University centre is given below.
- Centre for Assamese Studies (CAS) – The mission of this centre is to undertake and foster intensive and innovative study and research in Assamese Language, Literature and Culture in their varied dimensions adopting a wide perspective and an all-encompassing worldview.
- Centre for Endangered Languages (CFEL) – The Centre for Endangered Languages, Tezpur University was established in 2014 with the aim of conducting substantial research on the lesser known and endangered languages of Northeast India and to revitalize them with the direct and indirect institutional intervention.
- Centre for Inclusive Development (CID) – The Centre for Inclusive Development was established in 2013. The Centre, among other things, embraces the activities of the Equal Opportunity Cell and the SC/ST Cell that have a great deal of functional commonality.
- Centre for Innovation Incubation and Entrepreneurship(CIIE) – The Centre for Innovation Incubation and Entrepreneurship (CIIE) has started with the objective for promoting specialized knowledge in the field of entrepreneurship development, innovation and creative ideas.
- Teaching Learning Centre (TLC) – Teaching Learning Centre, TU was approved by the MHRD in its 3rd PAB of PMMMNMTT Scheme on September 9, 2015, and it was formally inaugurated on January 28, 2016.
- Centre for Women Studies (CWS) – Chandraprabha Saikiani Centre for Women Studies (CSCWS), Tezpur University was established in the year 2009.
- Technology Enabling Centre (TEC) (DST Funded) – The DST-funded technology enabling centre (DST-TEC) is established at Tezpur University is established in the Year 2019. The objective of DST-TEC is to create an Ecosystem for Technology Development in the Universities.
Tezpur University Cell
The University has eight cell in the University campus. The list of these University cells is given below.
- Training and Placement Cell – The Training & Placement Cell of the University facilitates the process of placement of students passing out from the Institute besides collaborating with leading organizations and institutes in setting up of internship and training program of students.
- Research & Development (R & D) Cell – This cell is for Research & Development (R & D).
- Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) Cell – Tezpur University Intellectual Property Rights Cell (TUIPR Cell) was created in 2009 with a vision to develop human resource in the management of Intellectual Property Rights as an integral part of the innovation process and the innovation value chain in the University.
- DBT Nodal Centre – The DBT Nodal Cell was set up in Tezpur University in 2009 with the main objective of creating a healthy research environment in North Eastern region.
- ONGC Centre for Petroleum Biotechnology (CPBT) – The ONGC-Center for Petroleum Biotechnology (ONGC-CPBT) at the Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology (MBBT) was established in 1999.
- Bioinformatics Infrastructure Facility (BIF) – The DBT funded-Bioinformatics Infrastructure Facility (BIF) at the Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology (MBBT), Tezpur University, was established in the year 2007.
- Institutional Biotech Hub – The IBT Hub at Tezpur University was established in the year 2011 at The Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology for a period of five years. It has now been upgraded to Advanced Level Biotech Hub on the basis of its performance.
- Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) – Established in 16th August 2005 Tezpur University Internal Quality Assurance Cell (TU IQAC) is engaged with series of activities required to foster the spirit of quality among the members of the University Community.
Tezpur University Training and Placement
Helping and guiding the students in shaping their career as per their aspirations has become an integral part of higher education today. To exclusively take care of these aspects, the University has a Training and Placement Cell which acts as the interface between the recruiting organizations and the University students.
It facilitates recruitment events on-campus as well as off-campus as required. It also organizes various preplacement grooming programmes to enhance the employability of the targeted students in association with the Equal Opportunity Cell of the University. Currently, the Cell is headed by the Deputy Director (Training and Placement).
The organizations that have recruited from the University in the recent past include:
Private Sector Organizations
|AGC Networks (Essar Group)||Look East Channel|
|Airtel (Bharti Telecom)||Nagaland Fruit & Veg. Prod. Unit|
|American Embassy, New Delhi||NDTV|
|Aricent||Nestle India Ltd.|
|Asia Carbon Limited||NE Chronicle|
|Asian Paints||NE TV|
|Azim Premji Foundation||Nokia|
|Chembiotek Life Science||Oracle|
|Cipla Ltd.||PerkinElmer (India) Pvt. Ltd.|
|Coca Cola Pvt. Ltd, Guwahati||PRADAN|
|Colgate-Palmolive||Press Trust of India,|
|Diamond Fabcare, New Delhi||Q-Tech Nano Systems|
|Disha, New Delhi||Reliance|
|DSCL||Reverie Language Technologies|
|ETV-Ramoji Film City, Hyderabad||RIMS|
|GE Health Care||Shalimar Paints|
|Godrej & Boyce Manuf. Co. Ltd.||Software AG|
|Housing Dev. Finance Co. (HDFC)||Sony India|
|Huawei Technologies||SRD Nutrients, Mangaldoi|
|ICI Paints||Sunrise Biscuits (Britannia)|
|Infosys||Tata Consultancy Service|
|Jungle Travels India||Tech Mahindra|
|Jenson & Nicholson||Wipro|
Public Sector Units
|Allahabad Bank||Indian Oil Corporation Ltd. (IOCL)|
|Bank of Maharashtra||Industrial Development Bank of India (IDBI)|
|Bharat Sansar Nigam Ltd.(BSNL)||Intelligence Bureau|
|Bongaigaon Refineries & Petrochemicals Ltd (BRPL)||ISRO|
|Brahmaputra Cracker and Polymer Ltd. (BCPL)|
|Centre for Sc. & Env., Delhi||NTPCL|
|DRDO||Numaligarh Refinery Limited (NRL)|
|Export-Import Bank of India||Oil India Limited (OIL)|
|Food Corporation of India (FCI)||Food Corporation of India (FCI)|
|Food Safety and Standards Authority (FSSAI)||Power Grid Corporation of India|
|Gas Authority of India Limited (GAIL)||Reserve Bank Of India|
|ICAR||State Bank of India|
|Indian Army||United Bank of India|
Institutions of Higher Learning
|Assam Engineering College, Guwahati||IIT Kharagpur|
|Assam University, Silchar||IMPRS, Halle, Germany|
|Banaras Hindu University||Indian Academy of Science, Bangalore|
|Jadavpur University||Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology|
|Bareilly Engineering College||JNU, New Delhi|
|Bielefeld University, Germany||Jorhat Engineering College|
|Central Institute of Post Harvest Engg. & Tech.||Konkuk University, Korea|
|Dibrugarh Polytechnic||M.S University of Baroda|
|Dibrugarh University||National Centre for Genome Research, Delhi|
|Edinburgh University England||National Institute of Cholera & Enteric Diseases, Kolkata|
|Epitome College, Diphu||NCL, Pune|
|Galgotia Institute of Technology, Noida||North Eastern Hill University, Shillong|
|Gauhati Univeristy||Rajiv Gandhi University|
|Guru Jambeshwar University, Hissar||Royal Group of Institutes|
|G. B. P. U.A.T. , Pantnagar.||Silchar Polytechnic|
|Hyderabad University||Sognag University, Korea|
|IISC, Bangalore||St. Anthonys College, Shillong|
|IIT, Delhi University||College of Cork, Ireland|
|IIT Guwahati||University of Pune|
Tezpur University Facilities
There are various facilities that the University provides for the students, staffs and guests. The list for the same is given below.
- University Library – The University has a Central Library with a rapidly increasing collection of books, periodicals and journals. The central library holds 48147 books, 5084 back volumes and subscribing 139 print journals, 770 resources, 3 three online Databases.
- Computing Facilities – The Tezpur University started using computers from its very inception both in its academic and administrative activities. The University has elaborate computing facilities accessible to the students. There are two clusters of modern state-of-the-art Computer Centre situated appropriately within the campus for use by the students and research scholars in addition to the Departmental computer laboratories.
- Hostel Accommodation – The University has separate hostels for boys and girls adequate to accommodate all students and research scholars.
- Scholarships – A limited number of scholarships are offered to Tezpur University students by various Government/semi-Government organizations such as NEC, DBT, ITDP, MNRE, DTE, DST, UGC, ICSSR, Institutional fellowship, AICTE, other State Governments, ONGC, etc. Free studentships are also provided to a limited number of meritorious students of PG/UG programmes belonging to economically weak families.
- Health Services – The University has a Health Centre to provide basic medical services with its own medical and paramedical staff. The students are also provided with the benefit of health insurance scheme.
- Games and Sports – The University provides opportunities for students to excel in various departments of sports. The University has basketball, volleyball and tennis courts, cricket and football grounds with playing facilities under floodlight and a well equipped multi gymnasium.
- Tezpur University Alumni Association (TUAA) – TUAA was formed in 2000 to create a network of the alumni of the University. The website of the association provides full listing of events, news and other relevant information.
- Instruction Methodology – The medium of instruction/examination in the University at all levels in English. In framing the courses, care has been taken to see that they are NOT burdened with formal lectures only. There is adequate provision for seminars, tutorials, case studies, guided fieldwork, etc., whatever necessary, to promote the habit of independent thinking.
Tezpur University Contact Details
Name: Tezpur University
Location: Napaam, Sonitpur, Assam, India -784 028
Phone No.: 9957184359
Official Website: www.tezu.ernet.in