Each year, there are five Scholarships available for India to enable outstanding students – chosen on the basis of exceptional intellect, character, leadership, and commitment to service – to study at the University of Oxford.
The first Indian Rhodes Scholars took up residence in Oxford in 1947, and since that time nearly two hundred Indians have been awarded this prestigious scholarship. They have pursued a variety of careers in public service, academia, business, law, and medicine, amongst others.
Many have achieved notable distinction, including:
- Montek Singh Ahluwalia (India & Magdalen 1964), prominent economic policy-maker. He is Deputy Chairman of the Planning Commission of India and has previously served as the first Director of the Independent Evaluation Office, International Monetary Fund (IMF).
- Girish Karnad (India & Magdalen 1960), contemporary writer, playwright, actor and film director. He is a recipient of the Jnanpith Award, the highest literary honour conferred in India, for his contributions to Kannada literature and theatre.
- Lavanya Rajamani (India & Hertford 1996), advisor and writer on international environmental law, in particular international climate change law and policy. She is a professor at the Centre for Policy Research in New Delhi.
- Mahesh Rangarajan (India & Balliol 1986), researcher, author and historian with a special interest in environmental history and colonial history of British India. He is also a political commentator and a psephologist.
A list of all Indian Rhodes Scholars is here.
Applications are now open for the Rhodes Scholarships for 2014 for India. The closing date is 31 July 2013. To apply online, please click here.
Prospective applicants from India should carefully review:
1. the general information about the Rhodes Scholarships,
2. the selection criteria that apply in all Rhodes constituencies, and then
3. the application criteria specific to India (2014 India Memorandum).
There are FAQs which are applicable to all applicants.
National Secretary for India:
Professor Vir Chauhan
The Rhodes Scholarships in India
International Centre for Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology
PO Box 10504
Aruna Asaf Ali Marg
New Delhi 110067
Telephone: +91 11 2674 2317 or +91 11 2674 1260
Fax: +91 11 2674 2316
Email: [email protected]
– See more at: http://www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/about/rhodes-countries/rhodes-india#sthash.PdVq0mIi.dpuf