Odisha State Open University (OSOU) was established in the year 2015. It is located in Sambalpur, Odisha, India. OSOU offers various Under Graduate, Post Graduate, Diploma, PG Diploma, Certificate and PG Certificate programmes. This State Open University of Odisha has been recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC). The University has a total of eight campus schools and has established 96 study centres in all 30 districts in Odisha. Check out the page for Odisha State Open University (OSOU).
Odisha State Open University (OSOU)
Have a quick look at Odisha State Open University (OSOU) from the table given below:
|Name||Odisha State Open University|
|Location||Sambalpur, Odisha, India|
|Courses Offered||UG, PG, Diploma, PG Diploma, Certificate, PG Certificate and Add-on programmes|
OSOU Admission Process
Admission in Odisha State Open University is done through marks obtained in the qualifying examination. The application forms are made available online at the official website. Students interested to take admission in OSOU have to fill and submit the admission form and admission fees on or before the last date. Before applying for the admission, students must read the general intructions and application process.
OSOU has following eight schools in the University campus. The list of these schools is given below.
- School of Social Science & Humanities – Under the school of Social Sciences the disciplines of History, Political Science, Sociology, Economics, Anthropology, Public Administration, Tourism Studies, Psychology, Rural Development, Tribal Studies, women & Gender Studies, Library & information Sciences, Population Studies, etc. are to be introduced both at under-graduate as well as post-graduate levels. Within the area of Humanities the disciplines of Odiya, English, Foreign Languages, Translation Studies, Creative Writing, Feature Writing, Functional English, English Teaching at Primary, Secondary and Senior Secondary Schools will be covered. Bachelors and Masters Degree programs in Odiya and English will be offered. Diploma and Certificate level programs will be designed in other fields.
- School of Science & Technology – In the field of Science and Technology, Odisha State Open University proposes to offer Bachelors and Masters Degrees in Science and Diploma and Certificates in applied science subjects like Geophysics, Analytical Chemistry, Environmental Science, Biodiversity, Climate change, Teaching of Mathematics at Primary Schools, Teaching of Science, Pollution Control, Sustainable Development, and Geo-informatics, Remote Sensing.
- School of Education (Continuing and Extension) – School of Continuing & Extension Education will mainly focus on the areas of Nutrition, Child Care, Food Security, Self-Help Groups, Special Education, Value Education, Educational Technology, Open & Distance Education, School Leadership & Management, Youth in Development, Women in Development, Higher Education Management, Counselling & Guidance, Participatory Development, HIV & AIDS, and Journalism & Mass Communication, etc.
- School of Teachers Training – In the School of Teacher Education the focus will be on training of un-trained teachers teaching at Elementary, Primary, Secondary and Senior Secondary Schools in the State. Since National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE) is the principal statutory body, the Regulations framed by it for imparting teachers training through distance education mode shall be strictly followed by the Open University.
- School of Business and Management Studies – This School will be involved in offering programs in Business Management and Commerce. Bachelors and Masters Degree Programmes will be offered in the fields of Business Administration/Management, Hospitality Management, Retailing and Commerce.
- School of Health Care Sciences – In the field of Health Care Sciences, the Open University will offer programs on Public Health, Health Insurance, Public Health Policy, Maternal & Child Health, Hospital Administration, Infant Care, Nursing Care, Geriatric Care, Nursing Administration, Hospital Waste Management, Community Health Care and Post-Natal Care.
- School of Computer and Information Sciences – The School will offer Master in Computer Application (MCA) and Bachelor in Computer Application (BCA). Diploma and Certificates will be provided in areas like Information Security, Cyberlaw & Security, Computer Hardware, website Designing, E-commerce, etc.
- School of Agriculture – In the field of agriculture the School will offer Certificate and Diploma programs in the initial stages. Agriculture Policy & Planning, Dairy Technology, Organic Farming, Bee Keeping, Sericulture, Food Processing & Preservation, Water Harvesting & Management, Food Services & Quality Management, Poultry Farming, Marketing of Agriculture Products, etc.
OSOU Courses Offered
Odisha State Open University offers various Under Graduate, Post Graduate, Diploma, PG Diploma, Certificate, PG Certificate and Add-on programmes in the following disciplines. The list of these coursees offered in the University is given below.
|Programmes Name||Courses Offered|
|Under Graduate||Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Economics|
Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in English
Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Hindi
Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in History
Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Odia
Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Political Science
Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Sanskrit
Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Sociology
Bachelor of Business Administration
Bachelor of Commerce (Honours)
Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Journalism and Mass Communication
|Post Graduate||Master of Arts (Economics)|
Master of Arts (English)
Master of Arts (Hindi)
Master of Arts (History)
Master of Arts (Odia)
Master of Arts (Public Administration)
Master of Arts (Public Policy)
Master of Arts (Political Science)
Master of Arts in Rural Development
Master of Arts (Sanskrit)
Master of Arts (Sociology)
Master of Commerce
Master of Arts (Journalism and Mass Communication)
Master of Science(Cyber Security)
|Diploma||Diploma in Banking and Insurance|
Diploma in Computer Applications
Diploma in Cyber Security
Diploma in Disaster Management
Diploma in Entrepreneurship Development
Diploma in Functional Hindi & Translation
Diploma in Accounting
Diploma in Management
Diploma in Journalism and Mass Communication
Diploma in Multimedia & Animation
Diploma in Media Management
Diploma in Odia Language and Communication
Diploma in Office Management
Diploma in Rural Development
Diploma in Rural Management
Diploma in Tribal Studies
Diploma in Tourism Studies
|PG Diploma||Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Applications|
Post Graduate Diploma in Cyber Security
Post Graduate Diploma in Disaster Management
Post Graduate Diploma in Management
Post Graduate Diploma in Journalism and Mass Communication
Post Graduate Diploma in Media Management
Post Graduate Diploma in Rural Development
Post Graduate Diploma in Rural Management
|Certificate||Certificate in Communication Skills|
Certificate in Digital Library
Certificate in e-Commerce
Certificate in Functional Sanskrit
Certificate in Geriatric Care
Certificate in Translation (English-Odia)
Certificate in Journalism & Mass Communication
Certificate in Legal Awareness
Certificate in Rural Development
Certificate in Research Methodology
Certificate in Soft Skill and IT Skill
Certificate in Tourism Management
|PG Certificate||Post Graduate Certificate in Digital Library|
Post Graduate Certificate in Research Methodology
OSOU follows the following four evaluation system. The list of these OSOU systems is given below.
- Credit System – Odisha State Open University is following credit system where each credit is equivalent to 30 hours of study. For any certificate level course of six-month duration students are required to earn 16 credits and for a diploma course of one-year duration, the minimum credit required for successful completion of the program will be 32 credits. Post Graduate Diploma and Advanced Diploma Programme are eighteen months duration. Credit value of the PG Diploma and Advance Diploma is 48. Master degree programmes are of 64 credits.
- Grading System – State Open University in Odisha is following the grading system of evaluation to assess the performance of the students. The ten-point grading system suggested by the University Grants Commission (UGC) is implemented by the University. Semester grade point average (SGPA) and cumulative grade point average (CGPA) is reflected in the Grade Card of the students along with the percentage of marks with division secured.
- Semester System – Open University is following semester system. Each semester is of six months duration. The performance of the learners is evaluated after the end of each semester. Academic Calendar is available on the University web portal.
- Evaluation System – The evaluation system is based on two core components: continuous evaluation and term-end examination. Continuous evaluation carries 25% weightage and the end semester examination carries 75% weightage. In skill-based programs with hands-on training evaluation of the performance of students in practical and theory have a ratio of 75:25. Evaluation in project courses has two aspects, project report and viva voce which is in the ratio of 75:25.
OSOU Study Centre
During the last three years, the University has established study centers in all 30 districts in Odisha. At present, there are a total of 96 study centers established by the University. The list of OSOU study centers is given below.
- Govt. Autonomous College, Angul (0101)
- Malyagiri Mahavidyalaya, Pallahara (0102)
- Patitapaban Degree Mahavidyalaya , Jarapada (0103)
- Nilakantheswar Degree Mahavidyalaya, Talcher (0104)
- Janata College, Boinda (0105)
- Fakir Mohan Autonomous College, Balasore (0201)
- Upendranath College, Soro (0202)
- District Jail Balasore, Balasore (0203S)
- Jaleswar Womens College, Jaleswar (0204)
- Rural Institute of Higher Studies, Bhograi (0205)
- Khaira College, Khaira (0206)
- Panchayat College, Bargarh (0301)
- Larambha College, Larambha (0302)
- Anchal College, Padampur (0303)
- Bhadrak Autonomous College, Bhadrak (0401)
- Chandbali College, Chandbali (0402)
- Atal Behari College, Basudevpur (0403)
- Rajendra (Auto) College, Bolangir (0501)
- Jawaharlal College, Patnagarh (0502)
- DAV Autonomous College, Titilagarh (0503)
- Model Degree College, Boudh (0601)
- JKBK College, Cuttack (0701)
- Gopabandhu Science College, Athgarh (0702)
- Ravenshaw University, Cuttack (0703)
- Circle Jail Cuttack at Choudwar, Choudwar (0704S)
- Salipur Autonomous College, Salipur (0705)
- Banki Autonomous College, Banki (0706)
- Deogarh College, Deogarh (0801)
- Dhenkanal Mahila Mahavidyalaya, Dhenkanal (0901)
- Baji Rout Memorial College, Bhuban (0902)
- Sri Krushna Chandra Gajapati (Autonomous) College, Paralakhemundi (1001)
- Babasaheb Ambedkar Degree College, Khajuripada (1002)
- Hill Top Degree College, Mohana (1003)
- Indira Memorial Degree College, Chandiput (1004)
- Khallikote Autonomous College, Berhampur (1104)
- Niranjan Govt. Women’s College, Aska (1105)
- Circle Jail, Berhampur, Berhampur (1106S)
- Government Science College, Chatrapur (1107)
- Polasara Science College, Polasara (1108)
- Swami Vivekananda Memorial (Autonomous) College, Jagatsinghpur (1201)
- Paradip College, Paradip (1202)
- Narasingh Choudhury (Autonomous) College, Jajpur (1301)
- Vyasanagar Autonomous College, Jajpur-Road (1302)
- Baruneswar Mohavidyalaya, Arei, Jajpur (1303)
- Dharmasala Mahavidyalaya, Dharmasala (1304)
- Women’s College, Jharsuguda (1401)
- Laxmi Narayan College, Jharsuguda (1402)
- Govt. (Auto) College, Bhawanipatna (1501)
- Panchayat College, Dharamgarh (1502)
- S.M. Govt. Women’s College, Phulbani (1601)
- Adivasi College, Balliguda (1602)
- Kalinga Mahavidyalaya, G Udayagiri (1603)
- Kendrapada Autonomous College, Kendrapada (1701)
- S.N. College, Rajkaniak (1702)
- Marshaghai College, Marsaghai (1703)
- Chandra Sekhar College, Champua (1801)
- Dharnidhar Autonomous College, Keonjhar (1802)
- Anandapur College, Anandapur (1803)
- BJB Autonomous College, Bhubaneswar (1901)
- Prananath College (Autonomous), Khurda (1902)
- Rajdhani College, Bhubaneswar (1903)
- Regional College of Managment, Bhubaneswar (1904)
- State Institute of Rural Development & Panchayati Raj, Bhubaneswar (1905)
- Special Jail Bhubaneswar, Jharpara (1906S)
- College of IT and Management Education, Bhubaneswar (1907)
- Vikram Deb (Auto) College, Jeypore (2001)
- Government College, Koraput (2002)
- Circle Jail, Koraput, Koraput (2003S)
- Model Degree College, Malkangiri (2101)
- Balimela College Of Science and Technology, Balimela (2102)
- MPC Autonomous College, Baripada (2201)
- Karanjia Autonomus College, Karanjia (2202)
- Mahila Mahavidyalaya, Rairangpur (2203)
- Saraswata Snataka Mahavidyalaya, Kuamara (2204)
- Nowrangpur College, Nabarangpur (2301)
- Bhairab Degree College, Dabugaon (2302)
- Nayagarh (Autonomus) College, Nayagarh (2401)
- National College, Nuapada (2501)
- Khariar Autonomous College, Khariar (2502)
- Samanta Chandra Sekhar (Autonomous) College, Puri (2601)
- Shri Jagannath Sanskrit Vishvavidayalaya, Puri (2602)
- Nimapara Autonomous College, Nimapara (2603)
- Rayagada Autonomous College, Rayagada (2701)
- Gunupur Degree College, Gunupur (2702)
- Maa Markama College, Bissamcuttack (2703)
- G.M. University, Sambalpur (2801)
- Kuchinda College, Kuchinda (2803)
- Sambalpur University, Jyoti Vihar (2804)
- Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose College, Sambalpur (2805)
- Circle Jail Sambalpur, Sambalpur (2806S)
- Bhima Bhoi College, Rairakhol (2807)
- Maa Jhadeswari Degree College, Dhama (2808)
- Sonepur College, Subarnapur (2901)
- Rourkela Government Autonomous College, Rourkela (3001)
- Govt. College, Sundargarh (3002)
- Neelashaila Degree Mahavidyalaya, Rourkela (3003)
OSOU Special Features
There are various special features of the University. The list of these special features is given below.
- Scholarships/reimbursement of fees are available to the deserving candidates of SC/ST/SEBC/PH as per Govt. of Odisha norms.
- Examination – The Examination will be held in semester basis. The students are required to fill-up the online examination form for appearing the exam with an examination fees of Rs 100 only per course.
- E-Library – Access to electronic library facility will be provided to all students enrolled with OSOU. Large volume of books, journals, magazines, theses and newspapers are available. You can access from home or workplace anytime.
- Supplementary Reading Material – University shall provide you study material in printed form. Along with that, you can access supplementary reading material relevant to course of studies through the OSOU website under e-resources.
- E-Gyanagar – The OER Repository of OSOU has all Open Source materials developed/adopted by the University under Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike (CC-BY-SA) license. It is free to reproduce or use them, provided attributed to Odisha State Open University as the source of the information.
- E-Gyanjyoti – E-Gyanjyoti is a smart e-learning platform exclusively designed for the leraners to
provide online skill-based Modular Programme.
OSOU Contact Details
Name: Odisha State Open University
Location: G.M. University Campus, Sambalpur, Odisha, India – 768004
Phone No.: 1800-34567-58
Official Website: osou.ac.in