University of Gour Banga (UGB) was established in the year 2008 by The West Bengal Act. It is located at Malda, West Bengal, India. UGB offers various Post Graduate courses in the main campus and Under Graduate courses in its affiliated colleges. There are 23 University Teaching Departments and various numbers of General Degree colleges, B.Ed. colleges and Law Colleges. The University is affiliated by the University Grants Commission (UGC) in 2016. Check out the page for University of Gour Banga (UGB).
University of Gour Banga (UGB)
The University provides various facilities like Library, Games, Sports, Anti-ragging Cell, etc. UGB follows the Choice Based Credit System (CBCS). Have a quick look at University of Gour Banga (UGB) from the table mentioned below:
|Name||University of Gour Banga|
|Location||Malda (Dist.), West Bengal, India|
|Courses||UG & PG Programmes|
UGB Admission Process
Admission in the University of Gour Banga is strictly based on merit as per the marks obtained in Honours or equivalent examinations. Application forms are made available online at the official admission website, http://www.ugbonlineadmission.org. Interested candidates need to fill and submit the admission form on or before the last date along with the application fees.
If any candidate applying for more than one Course (Subject) will have to fill up the separate application form with requisite fees. In case of students securing an equal percentage of marks in the equivalent examination (tie situation), merit panel will be prepared considering their marks obtained by them in Class 12th and thereafter their marks obtained in High School will be considered for rank comparison.
The University has a total of 23 University Teaching Departments. The list of these teaching departments is given below.
- Department of Arabic – This department was established in the year 2008. It offers M.A., M.Phil. and Ph.D. programmes.
- Department of Bengali – The Department of Bengali was established in 2008. The Department Conducts the M.A, M. Phil, and Ph. D Courses in Bengali.
- Department of Botany – The department started its journey from January 12, 2012. The department runs three independent courses, viz. M. Sc., M. Phil. And Ph. D. in the M. Sc.
- Department of Chemistry – The Department of Chemistry of the University of Gour Banga has started its journey in the year of late 2011. It offers M.Sc. and Ph.D. courses.
- Department of Computer Science – The postgraduate Department of Computer Science of the University of Gour Banga started its journey since January 2012. It offers M.Sc. courses.
- Department of Commerce – The Department of Commerce of University of Gour Banga has started its journey in the year of 2012. It offers M.Com., M.Phil., Ph.D. Courses.
- Department of Economics – Post-Graduate Department of Economics is a part of the Faculty of Arts and Commerce, University of Gour Banga, established in the year 2012. Apart from M.A in Economics course, the Department has been offered regular courses of M. Phil and Ph. D. in Economics since 2016.
- Department of Education – The Department of Education was established with the very beginning of the University in 2008. Presently, the Department is offering M.A., M. Phil. and Ph. D. in Education programmes. Regular B.A. (Honours) in Education is the essential criteria for the admission in M.A. Course.
- Department of English – The department of English was established in 2008. At present, the department offers the PG course in English Language and Literature, M. Phil Programme and a Ph. D programme.
- Department of Food & Nutrition – The Department of Food and Nutrition at the University of Gour Banga started its journey in the year of 2017. The Department aims to integrate the application of knowledge synthesized from different sciences like Physiology, Biochemistry, Zoology, Biotechnology, Botany, Bioinformatics and many more.
- Department of Geography – The Department of Geography, University of Gour Banga, established in the year 2012, offers postgraduate courses leading to the Degrees of Master of Arts (M.A.) and Master of Science (M.Sc.).
- Department of History – The Department of History is evolving as a vibrant intellectual community since 2008.
- Department of Law – The Department of Law has been established in the year 2016. At present, the Department is imparting two years LL.M Course with semester system under the CBCS mode. Recently, the Department has also started regular Ph. D. Programme from 2018 onwards.
- Department of Library & Information Science – The department of Library and Information Science started its journey on the sixth day of December 2016.
- Department of Mass Communication & Journalism – The Department of Mass Communication and Journalism was introduced in the University of Gour Banga in the year 2017.
- Department of Mathematics – This department was established in the year 2008. The Department provides two Academic Programs: M.Sc. and PhD.
- Department of Philosophy – The Department of Philosophy, UGB started its journey in January, 2012. It offers M.A., M.Phil., PhD Courses in Philosophy.
- Department of Physics – Department of Physics started its journey from December 2011. The Department has recently started research activities by introducing Ph.D. and M.Phil programmes and obtaining Research Project grant from UGC.
- Department of Physiology – The Department of Physiology was established in August 2016. The department offers Masters and Doctoral programs.
- Department of Political Science – The Department of Political Science was established in 2012 by University of Gour Banga. Initially, the Department offered only Post Graduate Degree in Political Science.
- Department of Sanskrit – The Department of Sanskrit started its voyage in 2008 with the introduction of Master of Arts in Sanskrit only.
- Department of Sociology – The Department of Sociology started its journey in 2011 as a part of the Faculty of Arts and Commerce, University of Gour Banga.
- Department of Zoology – The Department of Zoology is a young but promising organ of the University of Gour Banga started in 2012. It offers M.Sc., M.Phil., PhD Courses.
UGB Courses Offered
The University of Gour Banga offers Post Graduate courses for the students. Affiliated Colleges of the University offers the Under Graduate courses. The list of courses offered in the University is mentioned below.
|Programme Name||Courses Offered|
|Post Graduate||M.A. in Arabics|
M.A. in Bengali
M.A. in Economics
M.A. in Education
M.A. in English
M.A. in Geography
M.A. in History
M.A. in Philosophy
M.A. in Political Science
M.A. in Sanskrit
M.A. in Sociology
M.Sc. in Botany
M.Sc. in Chemistry
M.Sc. in Computer Science
M.Sc. in Food & Nutrition
M.Sc. in Mathematics
M.Sc. in Physics
M.Sc. in Physiology
M.Sc. in Zoology
M.Com. in Commerce
Mass Communication & Journalism
UGB Affiliated Colleges
The University has three types of affiliated colleges. The list for the same is given below.
- General Degree College
- B.Ed. College
- Law College
UGB Seat Matrix
The Intake capacity for PG Admission – 2019 in the UGB Main Campus is given below in the following pdf.
The University offers various number of facilities for the students and Faculties. The list of these facilities is given below.
- University Medical Unit
- Centre for Differently Abled
- Games and Sports
- Anti Ragging Cell
- Sexual Harassment Cell
UGB Contact Details
Name: University of Gour Banga
Location: NH-34, P.O-Mokdumpur, Malda (Dist.), West Bengal, India
Phone No.: 03512-223664
E-mail: [email protected]
Official Website: www.ugb.ac.in